Thread: сорак минит после... ?? [сорок минут после ..]

Native language
    Polski

сорак минит после... ?? [сорок минут после ..]

Hello everyone!

Is it correct to say in Russian "сорак минут после третьего" (15:40) or should I say "сорак минут четвертого" ? I'm slightly worried that the former is a direct calque from my mother tongue :P

Cheers!

Native language
    Русский

Re: сорак минит после... ??

Quote Originally Posted by mkrzeminski89 View Post
    Is it correct to say in Russian "сорак минут после третьего" (15:40) or should I say "сорак минут четвертого" ? I'm slightly worried that the former is a direct calque from my mother tongue :P
    Interesting. Our way of thinking in this case is the same as in English. We would say: "Без двадцати четыре".
    Дай досмотреть, как умирает день. Как его сердце в океане тонет... (Дельфин, Sunset)

Native language
    Russian

"Сорок минут четвертого" is correct also.

Native language
    Русский

Quote Originally Posted by Wats View Post
    "Сорок минут четвертого" is correct also.
    Да? А пятьдесят две минуты шестого?
    Дай досмотреть, как умирает день. Как его сердце в океане тонет... (Дельфин, Sunset)

Native language
    Русский

"Часы показывали сорок минут четвертого." Паустовский
    "Сорок минут третьего. — Подождем немного, — сказал профессор Томсон." Беляев

Стоит отметить, что чаще всего встречается в советской литературе и публицистике.

Native language
    Lithuanian

Hello everyone!

Cheers!
    Why a calque from Polish? You don't say forty minutes after fifteen (literally) do you?. Perhaps only fifteen forty. The same can be done in Russian.

Native language
    Polski

Quote Originally Posted by LilianaB View Post
    Why a calque from Polish? You don't say forty minutes after fifteen (literally) do you?. Perhaps only fifteen forty. The same can be done in Russian.
    That's precisely how we say it in Polish... Czterdzieści po piętnastej (forty after fifteenth). Of course there are many ways to say this. We could also say pietnasta czterdzieści (fifteenth forty) or Za dwadzieście czwarta (twenty to four). None of my handbooks lists сорак минут после третьего as a possible option in russian. That's why I'm asking
    Last edited by mkrzeminski89; 20th January 2013 at 7:19 PM.

Native language
    Lithuanian

No, this isn't standard Polish. I have never heard anything like that in my life having spoken native level Polish for at least forty years. I think I have to post it in the Polish forum.

Native language
    Русский

сорак минут
    Сорок.

Native language
    Polski

Quote Originally Posted by LilianaB View Post
    No, this isn't standard Polish. I have never heard anything like that in my life having spoken native level Polish for at least forty years. I think I have to post it in the Polish forum.
    Hah... if you really think you speak better polish then I... We use this construction all the time. Piętnaście po dziewiątej - 9:15 or even reduce it to simple piętnaście po assuming that the person asking for the time knows the hour. I was born and bred in Poland, Warsaw, educated at the University of Warsaw and I hear this construction from all my colleagues, lecturers, simply everywhere. I assure you that this is standard Polsih. It may sound strange to your ears but that does not make it incorrect Please also mind that all languages change all the time, whether we want it or not. Do you know Polish from your mother only? Have you spent any time in Poland? If you have you would surely heard that construction.

Cheers!

Native language
    Russian

35 минут is the last time that seems to me natural to use in such constructions: 35 минут шестого. Maybe because без двадцати пяти шесть is somewhat ponderous.
    Besides, без двадцати шесть and без двадцати минут шесть are equally natural, while сорок шестого is clumsy (save of very special context), only сорок минут шестого makes sense.

So in most cases, I guess, people say без двадцати (минут) шесть rather than сорок минут шесть.

Native language
    Russian

I agree with Maroseika, сорок минут четвертого sounds akward or at least archaic or obsolete. What was good for Paustovsky is not good now.
    Most people say без двадцати четыре.
    So, the right half of the clock-face implies the phrase x минут четвертого, the left half implies без х (минут) четыре.