Thread: falar aos amigos

Native language
    Italian

falar aos amigos

Hello! I am aware that there are several threads about the use of preposition with the verb 'falar'. But, If I find 'falar aos amigos', might it mean:
    - say goodbye to the friends [http://www.ciberduvidas.com/perguntas/get/275121]
    - talk to the friends [http://www.ciberduvidas.com/perguntas/get/300448]
    ?
    Thank you.

Native language
    Brazilian Portuguese

Re: falar aos amigos

Talk to the friends (even if it is to say goodbye to them).
    My username is 'mglenadel'… 'm' as in mnemonic, 'g' as in gnostic…

Native language
    Italian

Sorry, but if it means both things, I can't see the difference between 'falar com os amigos' and 'falar aos amigos'.

Native language
    Brazilian Portuguese

To me, there is a slight difference. To begin with, falar aos amigos sounds a lot more formal, almost poetical. Falar com os amigos is the more usual way. Also, falar aos amigos might mean to communicate something specific to them, whereas falar com os amigos might mean to converse with them. I have never heard falar aos amigos meaning to say goodbye to them, but that is only my experience.

Native language
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Joca View Post
    To me, there is a slight difference. To begin with, falar aos amigos sounds a lot more formal, almost poetical. Falar com os amigos is the more usual way. Also, falar aos amigos might mean to communicate something specific to them, whereas falar com os amigos might mean to converse with them.
    Thank you! That's similar to the meanings we attribute in Italian.

Quote Originally Posted by Joca View Post
    I have never heard falar aos amigos meaning to say goodbye to them, but that is only my experience.
    Perhaps 'falar aos amigos' as 'cumprimentá-los', it's just used in Portugal.

Native language
    Portugal- portuguese

Quote Originally Posted by reka39 View Post
    Perhaps 'falar aos amigos' as 'cumprimentá-los', it's just used in Portugal.
    Maybe so, but that can be one of the meanings in Portugal all right. It can also mean 'to mention' or 'to discuss the matter with friends' ('vou falar (nisso) aos (meus) amigos'). 'Falar a' may also mean 'to be in friendly terms with someone'.

Native language
    português

...mas também:

- Estou a falar com os meus amigos e depois ligo-te. Nesta expressão não cabe 'falar aos amigos'.
    - Vou falar com/aos amigos para saber se podem ir ao jantar.
    - Vou falar aos amigos para saber se estão bem. Para mim, nesta expressão não cabe 'falar com os amigos'.