Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slovak: z cudzieho krv netečie

Native language
    spanish

Slovak: z cudzieho krv netečie

Can anyone translate in English or explain the meaning of this idiom?
    what is there to be understood?: "koža", or telo
    Thanks
    Last edited by monalisa!; 30th January 2013 at 2:37 PM.

Native language
    Czech

Re: Slovak: z cudzieho krv netecie

It translates: Somebody else's [body] does not bleed.

Mostly the meaning is that everyone usually tends to spend improvidently somebody else's money (e.g. of his parents, of his clients, of the State, etc.).

BTW, in Czech we have the same idiom: z cizího krev neteče.

Native language
    Whatever

For what it's worth, BCS version (which I happen to like) is "Po tuđem dupetu sto batina ne boli (nije mnogo)" -- "A hundred whips on somebody else's butt doesn't hurt (is not much)"

I can't recall an equivalent English idiom.

Native language
    spanish

thank you, I suppose there is none,
    but I was wondering if it is correct to omit the noun "telo",
    the original old proverb says "koza"

Native language
    Czech

Yes, it is correct. An adjective in the neuter form without a noun denotes any thing. Like malum, bonum, etc. in Latin, or lo malo, lo bueno, lo ajeno in Spanish.

Native language
    spanish

Thanks a lot!

Native language
    spanish

Re: Slovak: z cudzieho krv netečie

Hi!
    I wonder if we can adapt this idiom to translate another English proverb,
    what do you understand by: "z papiera krv netečie" ?

Native language
    Slovak

Quote Originally Posted by monalisa! View Post
    what do you understand by: "z papiera krv netečie" ?
    Hi monalisa!,
    I`m afraid that it means absolutely nothing. You can`t use a proverb that has a strict meaning to express something that has probably nothing to do with it. What are you trying to say by "z papiera krv netečie?"

Apropos, "z cudzieho [majetku] 'krv' netečie" means only "it`s easy (for someone) to spend other people`s money."
    Last edited by morior_invictus; 21st February 2013 at 2:57 PM.

Native language
    Slovak

Quote Originally Posted by morior_invictus View Post
    Apropos, "z cudzieho [majetku] 'krv' netečie" means only "it`s easy (for someone) to spend other people`s money."
    It doesn't neccesarily have to apply to money only.

Native language
    spanish

Hi monalisa!,
    . What are you trying to say by "z papiera krv netečie?"."
    I was adapting the English "paper bleeds little"
    it means that its easy to cynically write about other people's sufferings, the same as it's easy to cynically waste other people's money
    If Azori is right, it conveys exacly the same idea !!

Native language
    Slovak

Quote Originally Posted by Azori View Post
    It doesn't neccesarily have to apply to money only.
    Literally it means "škoda iného nás nemrzí" and theoretically, we might comprehend "škoda" as not only the one relating to money, but I have to admit that I have never seen this proverb used in any other meaning than the one referring to a "mamona." This implausible online dictionary agrees with me :
    z cudzieho krv netečie: cudzí majetok ľudia obyčajne nešetria;
    Source: slovník.sk
    ...but OK. I agree with you as I have no plausible source that would support my argument.

Native language
    Slovak

Quote Originally Posted by monalisa! View Post
    I was adapting the English "paper bleeds little"
    it means that its easy to cynically write about other people's sufferings, the same as it's easy to cynically waste other people's money
    If Azori is right, it conveys exacly the same idea !!
    Oh, I see what you are trying to express, but "a paper" itself doesn`t tell us that it should bear the meaning of a mean of an expression of other people`s painful instances, while "z cudzieho..." tells us that it relates to somehing that belongs to other people.
    Moreover, "z cudzieho krv netečie" is a set proverb known by people while "z papiera krv netečie" would be understandable only to you. Do you understand what I`m trying to tell you?

Since "paper bleeds little" means "It is easy to do something in writing, without taking account of the human factors involved," it may be translated to "ľahšie sa o tom píše ako hovorí priamo do očí" / "je ľahšie o tom písať, ako to povedať priamo do očí" / "ľahko sa nám píše, keď priamo nevidíme bolesť, ktorú tým spôsobujeme," but I would have to see a Slovak translation of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" to make a final statement.
    Last edited by morior_invictus; 21st February 2013 at 4:38 PM.

Native language
    Slovak

Literally it means "škoda iného nás nemrzí" and theoretically, we might comprehend "škoda" as not only the one relating to money, but I have to admit that I have never seen this proverb used in any other meaning than the one referring to a "mamona." This implausible online dictionary agrees with me :

z cudzieho krv netečie: cudzí majetok ľudia obyčajne nešetria;

Source: slovník.sk
    How does that dictionary agree with you? I said "money" (peniaze in Slovak) in my post, not "property" (majetok). But if you consider money and property to be the same thing, then OK.
    Last edited by Azori; 21st February 2013 at 4:57 PM.

Native language
    Slovak

How does that dictionary agree with you? I said "money" (peniaze in Slovak) in my post, not "property" (majetok). But if you consider money and property to be the same thing, then OK.
    Yes, I know...
    ...but "money" means not only "peniaze" in Slovak, but also "majetok." Try to understand "majetok" as "zhmotnenie peňazí / výsledok minulých udalostí oceniteľný v peniazoch." Dobre, priznávam, teraz už nerozprávam ako človek. No, ...možno ani predtým nie. Just for illustration, here is some definition of money:
    3. Assets and property considered in terms of monetary value; wealth.
    Source: thefreedictionary.com : money

Native language
    Slovak

...but "money" means not only "peniaze" in Slovak, but also "majetok."
    Interesting, I didn't know that.

Native language
    Bosnian

Quote Originally Posted by Duya View Post
    For what it's worth, BCS version (which I happen to like) is "Po tuđem dupetu sto batina ne boli (nije mnogo)" -- "A hundred whips on somebody else's butt doesn't hurt (is not much)"

I can't recall an equivalent English idiom.
    I didn't know that one, but the one I know goes Lako je tuđim kurcem gloginje mlatiti. An attempted English translation, for which I can't vouch, is "It's easy to thrash hawthorns with another man's dick".
    Last edited by DenisBiH; 21st February 2013 at 8:24 PM.

Native language
    Slovak

Since "paper bleeds little" means "It is easy to do something in writing, without taking account of the human factors involved," it may be translated to "ľahšie sa o tom píše ako hovorí priamo do očí" / "je ľahšie o tom písať, ako to povedať priamo do očí" / "ľahko sa nám píše, keď priamo nevidíme bolesť, ktorú tým spôsobujeme," but I would have to see a Slovak translation of "For Whom the Bell Tolls" to make a final statement.
    This just came to my mind:

"papier znesie veľa" (lit. paper withstands a lot)

Probably not the same as "paper bleeds little" but the meaning is similar, I think. Slovak dictionaries have "papier znesie všetko" (lit. paper withstands everything):
    papier z-ie všetko napísať sa dá všeličo;
    Papier znesie všetko. (Mňač.)

Native language
    Slovak

This just came to my mind:

"papier znesie veľa" (lit. paper withstands a lot)

Probably not the same as "paper bleeds little" but the meaning is similar, I think. Slovak dictionaries have "papier znesie všetko" (lit. paper withstands everything):
    Wow! I`m charmed.
    Even though I would say that "papier znesie všetko" is a translation of Cicero`s "Epistula non erubescit" (i.e. "paper doesn`t blush" - you can write lies, wild claims etc. on a paper and paper never protests ...but the forest probably will ), it is close to the meaning of "paper bleeds little." I`d say that "paper bleeds little" is more about a written criticism of others or writing things that may hurt others in fact and "paper doesn`t blush" is more about a lies in a contracts etc.
    But perfect! Maybe in a novel "Komu zvonia do hrobu," the "paper bleeds little" was translated to "papier znesie všetko," but I don`t have it to ensure myself.

Native language
    Slovak

Maybe in a novel "Komu zvonia do hrobu," the "paper bleeds little" was translated to "papier znesie všetko," but I don`t have it to ensure myself.
    Here: http://korpus.sk:8098/manatee.ks/do_...le&in_corpus=1 in the novel "Komu zvonia do hrobu" it is translated as "Z papiera krv netečie."

Native language
    Slovak

Here: http://korpus.sk:8098/manatee.ks/do_...le&in_corpus=1 in the novel "Komu zvonia do hrobu" it is translated as "Z papiera krv netečie."
    I think I`m starting to hate that korpus.
    At least its part containing parallel ENG-SVK translations – so-called "Paralelný slovensko-anglický korpus," that apparently works against me.
    Do you know what it means, Azori? That I should retract my words from the post #12 and prove monalisa! right that "z papiera krv netečie" is a perfect and well-known idiom. Erm, I would do that if there were at least two more sources containing that phrase.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast