Thread: Date in Latin?

Native language
    fr

Date in Latin?

Dear all,

Thanks for your contribution that have helped me a lot over the few last months.

I have a little question for you distinguished latinists!

Gregorian calendar dates in latin?

Would "A.D. MMXIII DIE XVIII IUNII" be a proper translation for "2013, 18th June"?

Here I am talking in avery formal context (like these old inauguration plates on italian churches stating who created a church and the date of its creation for example)

Thanks for your very valuable help!

Native language
    USA, English

Re: Date in Latin?

There are a number of "date calculators" out there that can give you proper date.
    Check out:
    http://thomo.coldie.net/archive/www....bbs/roman.html

A couple issues your suggested translation brings up.

1) "die" is ablative. If you are trying to say something like "on March 18, " that is the correct form.
    But the nominative is "dies": that is the neutral way to give the expression. However, if, for instance,
    you were creating a list of events that are labeled as occurring on certain days, you would use
    the ablative.

2) The months in Latin are adjectives, not nouns. They agree with the day or whatever they are
    describing. So, if you use "dies," the form of "Iunius" should be "Iunius." If you are using the
    ablative "die," you have to make it ablative, and it takes the form "Iunio."

Native language
    Czech

2) The months in Latin are adjectives, not nouns. They agree with the day or whatever they are describing. So, if you use "dies," the form of "Iunius" should be "Iunius." If you are using the ablative "die," you have to make it ablative, and it takes the form "Iunio."
    Usually there is an agreement with the noun "mensis" (mostly omitted) which is in genitive:

(DATVM, AEDIFICATVM, ERECTVM, ...) DIE XVIII (MENSIS) IVNII A.D. MMXIII

(datum, ...) die XVIII (duodevicesimo) (mensis) Iunii (anno Domini) MMXIII

die 18 Iunii 2013 (the briefest "modern" format)
    Last edited by bibax; 19th March 2013 at 2:40 AM.

Native language
    USA, English

Quote Originally Posted by bibax View Post
    Usually there is an agreement with the noun "mensis" (mostly omitted) which is in genitive:

(DATVM, AEDIFICATVM, ERECTVM, ...) DIE XVIII (MENSIS) IVNII A.D. MMXIII

(datum, ...) die XVIII (duodevicesimo) (mensis) Iunii (anno Domini) MMXIII

die 18 Iunii 2013 (the briefest "modern" format)
    Bibax, what you say makes sense to me. I guess there must be more than one way to do this,
    because I was taught to make the month agree with "dies," and I have seen that elsewhere.
    But the convention which you advocate actually seems more reasonable to me.