Thread: Fregata

Native language
    Spanish

Fregata

Estoy buscando por la etimología u origen de estas dos palabras italiana la primera y francesa la segunda,"fregata" y "corvette", es que estaba buscando las etimologías de las palabras en español de los buques fragata y corbeta, y me sale en el diccionario que provienen de estas dos palabras extranjeras. Si alguien me dejara saber sus origenes.Gracias.

Moderator note: In this thread, please answer only to the question concerning fregata. The thread about corvette can be found here: Click.
    Last edited by berndf; 8th April 2013 at 12:30 PM.

Native language
    Russian

Re: etimología de "fregata" y " corvette"

<...>
    Frigate - unknown origin.
    Last edited by berndf; 8th April 2013 at 12:28 PM.

Native language
    Spanish-Spain

Re: Fregata

The first pages of
    http://ruc.udc.es/dspace/bitstream/2...7/1/RL_5-2.pdf
    could be relevant.

Native language
    Persian

Can fregata be related to "freight"? fregata was originally fragata in 14th century. Freight was pronounced like [fragt] or [fraxt] at that time. Is it possible that fragata was originally borrowed from Dutch/English as a small cargo (freight) ship?

Native language
    Greek

If I may guess, relevant to brigata, brigade (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=brigade ) from a word meaning "crowd, gang". The names for ships are used for gangs and vice versa. e.g. barco - embarcada, Greek galaria (group of kids) from gallera, Gr. tsurmo (group of people), from a word meaning ship's crew and originally from L. turma. Also, according to a 19th c. Greek source, carabinieri from the Gr. karabos (ship).
    Last edited by sotos; 8th April 2013 at 1:25 PM.

Native language
    italiano

Quote Originally Posted by ABC123Y View Post
    Estoy buscando por la etimología u origen de estas dos palabras italiana la primera y francesa la segunda,"fregata" y "corvette", es que estaba buscando las etimologías de las palabras en español de los buques fragata y corbeta, y me sale en el diccionario que provienen de estas dos palabras extranjeras. Si alguien me dejara saber sus origenes.Gracias.

Moderator note: In this thread, please answer only to the question concerning fregata. The thread about corvette can be found here: Click.
    Ciao! Per saperne qualcosa di più, potrebbe esserti utile dare un'occhiata anche a questo sito>
    http://www.etimo.it/?term=fregata&find=Cerca Non si sa mai.

Saluti
    Last edited by Sempervirens; 9th April 2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Avevo dimenticato di mettere il sito
    Molti magazzini di roba rubata possono essere definiti in vario modo, uno di questi sostantivi è museo.

Native language
    Polish

Quote Originally Posted by sotos;13179382Also, according to a 19th c. Greek source, [I
    carabinieri[/I] from the Gr. karabos (ship).
    Can you give an explanation how the name of ship became the name of a soldier?

Native language
    Greek

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Jamin View Post
    Can you give an explanation how the name of ship became the name of a soldier?
    According to that author, those soldiers (16th century mercenary "marines") were transported from Greece to the west by ships. They were calling themselves "karavinoi" (people of the ships, mariners).
    There is an anologous in Greek: An old word for rowing ships was "katergo" (gallera) literally meaning "penal labour" (Crew in old rowing ships were mostly convicts and slaves). The person working in katergo is called katergaris, which today metaphorically means "a crook, an unhonest person".

Native language
    Tamil

Fregata, that could be related to Barge?

Native language
    German (Germany)

Quote Originally Posted by sotos View Post
    If I may guess, relevant to brigata, brigade (http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=brigade ) from a word meaning "crowd, gang". The names for ships are used for gangs and vice versa. e.g. barco - embarcada, Greek galaria (group of kids) from gallera, Gr. tsurmo (group of people), from a word meaning ship's crew and originally from L. turma. Also, according to a 19th c. Greek source, carabinieri from the Gr. karabos (ship).
    I fail to see what this has to do with fregata. Can you help me there?