I have been working on a glossary of some basic grammatical terms in various languages. So far, I have +/- 42 terms related to grammar (and writing) in +/- 47 languages.
Most languages are done, some have still a few gaps, and a handful of other languages present too many problems. I hardly find information for the Hebrew, Belarussian, Tamil terms.
After some weeks of working on the list, I reached the point that I need some help. Otherwise said: I am stuck.
And therefore I would like to ask (beg :-) for help from the listmembers, to ask whether people could read through the series of terms in their language(s), and if necessary, ad a term or correct a term.
Basically, what I need are
- the terms in the singular form (hence not
articles, but article),
- the terms should start with a small letter (hence not
Articles, but article). [Needless to say that this doesn't apply to neither German nouns nor Chinese, Arabic, Hindi, etc. words :-)];
- the terms in the 'native' script (I mean, no transliterations or transcriptions). If there is more than one possiblility -- e.g. language x written with two scripts -- I'd be grateful with both of them :-).
- Some languages have several possibilities for one term. I'd be happy with the most commonly used one.
There are some problems I am aware of:
- The series of terms in Pashto poses some problems because I cannot find a way to correctly use some special letters (as س with a dot under and above it);
- I do realise that not all languages have the same grammatical categories. If I am not wrong, Arabic has several categories (and terms) for what we simply call 'adjective'. Nevertheless, the starting point should be the English term. A simple example: the Arabic script doesn't have capital letters, yet Arabic DOES have a term for capital letter when discussing the Latin script.
Depending on the reactions, I'll try to frequently update the list on this board or forward it for people who are interested.
Any help will be highly appreciated.