Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have vs have got

Native language
    Norway, norwegian

Have vs have got

A friend of mine who is learning english asked me what the difference is between saying "I have a car" and "I have got a car". I was completely unable to point at any sematical or other differences, and was hoping maybe someone could help me out, with both identifying the difference and perhaps give the equivalents in italian?

Native language
    USA American English

Re: Have vs have got

Quote Originally Posted by _aila
    A friend of mine who is learning english asked me what the difference is between saying "I have a car" and "I have got a car". I was completely unable to point at any sematical or other differences, and was hoping maybe someone could help me out, with both identifying the difference and perhaps give the equivalents in italian?
    I don't see any difference in meaning, but "I have got..." would almost certainly be expressed by "I've got a car."

cecil

Native language
    American English

Quote Originally Posted by cecil
    I don't see any difference in meaning, but "I have got..." would almost certainly be expressed by "I've got a car."

cecil
    Cecil is quite right about "I've got" instead of "I have got". It's a little more casual than "I have" which is a direct way of indicating possession. ("Ho una macchina"). "I've got" can mean, aside from simple possession, that I've just gotten one, perhaps for some particular purpose, e.g. I needed a car for a trip, my friend offered to loan me one, so "I've got a car for the trip". So while it means "Ho una macchina" it can also mean (sort of) "Ho trovato una macchina". Hope this helps, my Italian is REALLY rusty.

Also, you would be more likely to write "I have a car" and to say "I've got a car".

Native language
    Norway, norwegian

Thanks, that helped! :-) Now it remains to see if I'm able to explain this somewhat subtle difference in Italian... :-/

Native language
    England, English

I was always told that 'I have' is American English and 'I've got' is more British English, which means in the basic sense there probably wouldn't be any difference in Italian. (The basic sense meaning just possession, rather than jimreilly's interesting nuance above about having found something.)

Native language
    USA English

True, we usually say 'I've got', but when you want to emphasize a statement, you would say 'I have GOT to get to bed early tonight or I'll be a wreck tomorrow.'
    Gianni

Native language
    England, English

Care here, 'I have GOT to get to bed' is nothing to do with 'I have got....' in the sense being discussed here.

It is the equivalent of 'Devo andare a letto......' rather than of 'avere'

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni2
    True, we usually say 'I've got', but when you want to emphasize a statement, you would say 'I have GOT to get to bed early tonight or I'll be a wreck tomorrow.'
    Gianni

Native language
    USA American English

Quote Originally Posted by Gianni2
    Gianni
    Gianni,

I think Shamblesuk is right. "I've got a car." = "I have a car." "I've got to get up" has a totally different meaning: "I must get up." (Devo...)

cecil

Native language
    England, English

Ed adesso, devo andare per forza a letto. E' tardi!

Native language
    English-Ireland (top end)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Frog
    I was always told that 'I have' is American English and 'I've got' is more British English, [...]
    "I've got" would not be very common in all parts of the UK.

HERE IS A LINK to a recent discussion of this subject in English-Only.

Native language
    USA

One other subtle point: You can use "have got" for emphasis or contrast:

"Are you flying your own plane to the seashore this summer."

"No. I don't have the plane any more. But I have got a car, so I'm going to drive."

Native language
    USA English

Quote Originally Posted by shamblesuk
    Care here, 'I have GOT to get to bed' is nothing to do with 'I have got....' in the sense being discussed here.

It is the equivalent of 'Devo andare a letto......' rather than of 'avere'
    OK. Got it! Grazie.

Native language
    Italy Italian

Have got vs got

Usare solamente "got" si può/non si può?
    Per esempio :
    1) "You've got powerful attacks!"
    2) "You got powerful attacks!"

Se la risposta è si, (perkè mi pare di averlo sentito) immagino che il "got" da solo sia molto informale, quindi se devo riportare la frase per iscritto dovrò usare per forza "have got" oppure anche sulla carte si può optareper la seconda versione?

Native language
    Italy

Re: Have got

Penso che got senza have abbia un altro significato (passato di get); mentre have got ha proprio il senso di possesso.
    Mincy

Native language
    italy italian

Re: Have got

Quote Originally Posted by Mago-Merlino View Post
    Usare solamente "got" si può/non si può?
    Per esempio :
    1) "You've got powerful attacks!"
    2) "You got powerful attacks!"

Se la risposta è si, (perkè mi pare di averlo sentito) immagino che il "got" da solo sia molto informale, quindi se devo riportare la frase per iscritto dovrò usare per forza "have got" oppure anche sulla carte si può optareper la seconda versione?
    Hai ragione, anch'io l'ho sentito spesso, ma solo nella lingua parlata o in testi che utilizzavano un registro informale che la ricalcava.
    Però se proprio vuoi snellire la frase, usa have senza got...
    france

Native language
    Italian

Re: Have got vs got

Sì, può essere utilizzato in sostituzione di have got, ma è molto colloquiale. Un esempio che mi viene in mente è "nice eyes you got there!" oppure "I got a couple of words for you"

Comunque, come dice francefrance, per snellire la frase è meglio usare have da solo

Native language
    UK English

Re: Have got vs got

Quote Originally Posted by fitter.happier View Post
    Sì, può essere utilizzato in sostituzione di have got, ma è molto colloquiale. Un esempio che mi viene in mente è "nice eyes you got there!" oppure "I got a couple of words for you"

Comunque, come dice francefrance, per snellire la frase è meglio usare have da solo Good advice!
    Go to:
    http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/get

Scroll down to "usage note" as you will find it particularly helpful.

Regards
    Leo

Native language
    italian

I have vs. I've got

Hi.
    I have a doubt that doesn't have anything to do with your doubt but it regards your sentence so...I hope you don't mind.

"I've some doubt about..."

In this case weren't you supposed to use these forms: "I've got a doubt" or "I have a doubt"?

I mean, isn't the contraction of the verb "to have" impossible without "got"?

Discussione divisa da qui: si consiglia che
    Last edited by neuromatico; 16th October 2009 at 7:47 PM. Reason: nota di moderazione

Native language
    Italian

Re: si consiglia che

Sicuramente 'I've some doubt' non è corretto. Io direi 'I have a doubt' ma decisamente evitando 'got'.

Native language
    UK, English

Re: si consiglia che

I have a doubt or I have some doubts.

You can use I've without got, it sounds a little more formal. I wouldn't avoid got at all costs as entrapta says, but it's not essential.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast