Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanks Button

Native language
    English - USA

Thanks Button

Sometimes I feel guilty posting replies to thank people for their suggestions, because it increases my post count without adding anything of value.

On some forums there is a "Thanks!" button below every post, and clicking that adds the clicker's name as giving thanks below that particular messages, and also increases a counter for how many times a particular person has been thanked.

Do you have any plans for implementing something similar?

Native language
    Italian

Re: Thanks Button

I personally like this suggestion
    A similar topic has been discussed here

What's the etiquette? - thank you and you're welcome.

Brevity is the soul of wit - Le persone intelligenti hanno il dono della concisione

Native language
    Chile, español

Quote Originally Posted by CX23882 View Post
    Sometimes I feel guilty posting replies to thank people for their suggestions, because it increases my post count without adding anything of value.

On some forums there is a "Thanks!" button below every post, and clicking that adds the clicker's name as giving thanks below that particular messages, and also increases a counter for how many times a particular person has been thanked.

But the point is, what is the importance of having a lot of post? To me it doesn't matters to have 100 or 1000 post, what's the diference? I notice that Some people wants to have thousands of post in their counter, why? I don't know really. Prestige? The prestige has nothing to do with "quantity" but "quality"... No-one should be cared, worried or concerned about how many post he has. Who cares???!!! This is for learn, not for compite about the posts!!! In fact, being concerned about the post count make that some people always wants to answer, even when they don't know very well the answer, and that is a very bad thing.

(Sorry for my english)

Bye.

Native language
    American English

Quote Originally Posted by CX23882 View Post

I think the first part of this (clicking to thank) is an excellent idea. In the English-Only forum, many foreros neither thank nor acknowledge posts answering their questions. This can become a bit frustrating: did the person who posted the question ever see the answer? Did the poster understand the answer? Those who answer questions really do need feedback.

On the other hand, I don't think it is necessary to add up the "thanks clicks." I don't know what purpose that would serve (except to show how many people were polite enough to say "Thank you"?)

Native language
    English - UK

I'm also in favour, for this reason, that although it's nice to be nice, and politeness is always appreciated, these threads will appear in the wider context of the WR dictionary, and users of that facility, checking relevant threads for guidance about a particular usage, really don't need to see posts like, "Gee, I never thought of it like that - thanks so much" (with the inevitable smiley).

I agree with Joelline that it's helpful, and I dare say gratifying, to know that your explanation has been received and understood, and something of this nature would be a great addition. Alternatively, members should be encourage to express their undying gratitude by way of PM, and leave the threads uncluttered by what are, at the end of the day, off-topic comments.

Native language
    Turkish

Have you also noticed that you can't actually "thank" someone by saying "thanks" or even "thank you"?! Because these words are less than "10 characters"? So, I usually have to say "thank....." (to make the message 10 characters) or "ok........" if there is nothing to thank for.

Native language
    English-Ireland (top end)

I'm probably old-fashioned on this.
    I find the idea of a little thanks button much too mechanical, and the prospect of a list of those who clicked the thanks button beneath a post abhorrent.

Thanks and appreciation come across through the discussion, and I don't have any difficulty with an occasional extra post even if it simply says "Thank you," (ten characters ).

Native language
    France, Français

Quote Originally Posted by panjandrum View Post
    I'm probably old-fashioned on this.
    I find the idea of a little thanks button much too mechanical, and the prospect of a list of those who clicked the thanks button beneath a post abhorrent.
    Be thanked for having said my mind, Panj.
    ...Ferme ni plus ni moins que l'étoile du nord.

Native language
    castellano de Argentina.

Quote Originally Posted by El escoces View Post
    .. these threads will appear in the wider context of the WR dictionary, and users of that facility, checking relevant threads for guidance about a particular usage, really don't need to see posts like, "Gee, I never thought of it like that - thanks so much" (with the inevitable smiley).

I don't see any problem with finding posts like those. This is an online dictionary. Sorry to disagree.

Alternatively, members should be encourage to express their undying gratitude by way of PM, and leave the threads uncluttered by what are, at the end of the day, off-topic comments.
    The foreros may consider that sending PMs to say thanks is a waste of time and a bit complicated, and I do agree.
    Last edited by Fernita; 22nd June 2008 at 3:08 AM. Reason: mistake
    Antes era indecisa... ahora no sé.

Native language
    French

Count me in the 'old-fashioned group'
    'thanks' shouldn't become mechanical, but rather a true proof of humanity in an increasingly virtual world. WRF is a forum, but it is also like the Roman agora, it implies the least of human relationships. I wouldn't appreciate being thanked by a mechanical device of any kind, I prefer by far a lack of answer - however frustrating that may be.
    a different language is a different vision of life. F. Fellini Please do correct my mistakes

Native language
    português, Brasil

I like the idea of having a 'thank you' button, although I see Panjandrum's point about it being a little mechanic and impersonal. I have faced dilemmas before about thanking or not. If on the one hand it's always considerate to show my gratitude, on the other I feared it might be annoying to put my thread back on top of the list because of a quick thank you note. It's nice to learn that it's expected of me to thank always, and to all those who ever answered to a question asked by me and went unthanked (?), my belated thank you very much!

(inevitable)
    Nunca deixe para amanhã o que você pode deixar pra lá

Native language
    pl

I am for. This way forum members can earn their reputation. I think that's a good idea.

Native language
    Turkish

....and I don't have any difficulty with an occasional extra post even if it simply says "Thank you," (ten characters ).
    Yes in English a simple "," may be enough to have 10 characters but if you write in French (Merci.....) or Turkish (sağol.....) it really looks silly.

Native language
    English-Ireland (top end)

Quote Originally Posted by dn88 View Post
    I am for. This way forum members can earn their reputation. I think that's a good idea.
    A mechanical reputation, based on mouse clicks.
    Would anyone base anything on that?

The linked threads give more opinions on posting thanks. They are well worth reading.

Native language
    pl

A mechanical reputation, based on mouse clicks.
    Would anyone base anything on that?

The linked threads give more opinions on posting thanks. They are well worth reading.
    I wouldn't call that "mechanical". If a person finds a particular answer helpful, then he/she can click "Thanks". If not, then no one is forced to thank anyone.

Native language
    France - français

Quote Originally Posted by avok View Post
    Yes in English a simple "," may be enough to have 10 characters but if you write in French (Merci.....) or Turkish (sağol.....) it really looks silly.
    "Merci avok", "merci bien" or "merci beaucoup" will do the job !
    Ceci n'est pas une signature

Native language
    English UK

I, too, vote for continuing as we are at present. "Thank you" messages are nice, and only briefly bring the thread back to the front page. "Thank you" votes would be invidious: WRF is not a popularity contest...

Am clearly feeling particularly grumpy at the moment

Native language
    Français, Québec ♀

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Palace View Post
    Count me in the 'old-fashioned group'
    'thanks' shouldn't become mechanical, but rather a true proof of humanity in an increasingly virtual world.
    Ad my old-fashioned vote to the old-fashioned group. Just don't put too much icing on the "thank you cake". Some long winded thank you's don't sound sincere. I don't mean you, Moon.
    Last edited by Nicomon; 22nd June 2008 at 5:27 AM.

Native language
    EEUU-inglés

A mechanical thank you? Thanks, but no thanks. I wouldn't choose to be on either end of that button.

I'd prefer to send hand-written thank you notes on good rag paper, delivered to my fellow community members by clipper ship. Alas, clipper ships are in short supply these days, and the forum software doesn't accomodate paper especially well, so I have to type a few keystrokes. That's a very small effort to acknowledge good help, gratefully received.
    That mod mods best that mods least...with apologies to Th. Jefferson.

Native language
    AE, Español

Occasionally people are kind enough to thank me. I feel slightly guilty about not writing "you're welcome," but I sacrifice politeness and courtesy for expediency/pragmatism.

Could we split the difference and add a "question answered satisfactorily" button?

I definitely don't like the idea of a "thank you" button--with or without a counter. I certainly don't like the idea of a counter; what's next, calculating one's ratio of "right" answers?
    There's what we expect bears to do and then there's what they do. Sometimes the two don't match. - Joe Clark, wildlife ecologist

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast