Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Origin of French 'merci'

Native language
    India,Hindi

Origin of French 'merci'

MODERATOR NOTE: Questions on the etymology of words (rather than their meaning or translation into another modern language) are discussed in our Etymology and History of Languages Forum, to which this thread has been moved.
    ------------

Hello,

I wanted to know the orgin of ' Merci ' (Thank you). Does this come from Latin or Frank?
    Last edited by wildan1; 5th February 2013 at 9:45 PM.

Native language
    French/France

Re: Origin of 'merci'

No Latin etymology as far as I know.
    In the Middle Age, it had the same meaning as its English homophone "mercy"
    Last edited by berndf; 6th February 2013 at 9:53 AM. Reason: Capitals

Native language
    English

Quote Originally Posted by macta123 View Post
    Hello,

I wanted to know the orgin of ' Merci ' (Thank you). Does this come from Latin or Frank?
    You may find your answer in the forgotten language of Aramaic or neo Aramaic (the language spoken by Jesus) also called Assyrian where 'merci' just means 'thank you'

Native language
    Israel - Hebrew

Quote Originally Posted by 1mark1 View Post
    You may find your answer in the forgotten language of Aramaic or neo Aramaic (the language spoken by Jesus) also called Assyrian where 'merci' just means 'thank you'
    In Aramaic the word for "thank you" is "tawdi"

Native language
    English - England

Re: Origin of French 'merci'

The French Academy's Dictionary says it is from Latin mercedem, accusative of merces, meaning salary or reward and, later, price, favour or mercy given to someone when sparing them.

Native language
    USA Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by Hulalessar View Post
    The French Academy's Dictionary says it is from Latin mercedem, accusative of merces, meaning salary or reward and, later, price, favour or mercy given to someone when sparing them.
    It's a slow evolution in meaning over a long period of time. I would just add that the current meaning of thanks probably comes from the "favour" you mention. "Dieu merci" the grace of God, God willing, favour or want of God

Native language
    English

In Modern Assyrian or Neo Aramaic if I say "How are you" = Dakhee vit" when speaking to a male. The response might be: "I'm good thank you = Spaay vin merci"
    Ref: Studies in Neo Aramaic, Professor Wolfhart Heinrichs, Department of Eastern languages at Harvard Universities.
    It should be noted however that there are many dialects. This is only one of those.

Native language
    French (France)

"Merci" is from Latin merces, asHulalessar has explained. The French word has been borrowed into Arabic (and many other languages), and from Arabic into the Neo-Aramaic of Maalula (one of several surviving Neo-Aramaic languages).

Native language
    English

fdb, thank you for clearing that up. I was simply trying to establish what I thought the Linquistic form (as a word) is shown by tracing its development since its earliest recorded occurance........in this case perhaps it could be traced back to Biblical usage in one society.
    fyi - I am an Engineer and operate a steel business but early on I really wanted to major in modern European Languages. Oh well - haha This has been fun and the guys have not beat up on me too much

Native language
    English

Ouch! My company on works on heavy industrial things such as power plants. Never bridges! Thanks fdb

Native language
    American English

What about “merci” in pt. você (vossa mercee) and sp. usted (vuestra merced)? Is this related to French usage in someway?

Native language
    English - England

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee256 View Post
    What about “merci” in pt. você (vossa mercee) and sp. usted (vuestra merced)? Is this related to French usage in someway?
    They both derive form the same Latin word mercedem. I do not know about Portuguese, but the Spanish word merced has the same range of meaning as the Latin as mentioned above. See here: http://lema.rae.es/drae/?val=merced

Native language
    Polish

Quote Originally Posted by 1mark1 View Post
    In Modern Assyrian or Neo Aramaic if I say "How are you" = Dakhee vit" when speaking to a male. The response might be: "I'm good thank you = Spaay vin merci"
    Ref: Studies in Neo Aramaic, Professor Wolfhart Heinrichs, Department of Eastern languages at Harvard Universities.
    It should be noted however that there are many dialects. This is only one of those.
    But have you any proof that it comes from Old Aramaic? It is very probable that it comes from French via Turkish.

Native language
    French (France)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Jamin View Post
    But have you any proof that it comes from Old Aramaic? It is very probable that it comes from French.
    As stated already in no. 9.

Native language
    Hungarian

For curiosity, also the Spanish personal name Mercedes is related to the word we are discussing now. It comes from a former María de las Mercedes, meaning "Mary of Mercies".

Native language
    French (France)

....and was borne notably by Mercédès Adrienne Manuela Ramona Jellinek, the eponym of the motor car.

Native language
    Polish

Quote Originally Posted by fdb View Post
    As stated already in no. 9.
    Thanks, I didn't notice that post. By the way, it must then be Turkish that borrowed the word from Arabic.

Native language
    AmE

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Jamin View Post
    By the way, it must then be Turkish that borrowed the word from Arabic.
    Why must this be?

Native language
    French (France)

I do not think that Turkish uses “merci”. I do not know which of the Neo-Aramaic languages are supposed to use it. The inhabitants of three Aramaic-speaking villages in Syria are bilingual in Levantine Arabic, and have borrowed heavily from French, either directly or via Arabic. Those in Tur Abdin are bilingual in Turkish, those in Northern Iraq in Iraqi Arabic and/or Kurdish.

Native language
    Polish

Quote Originally Posted by fdb View Post
    I do not think that Turkish uses “merci”.
    Do you speak Turkish?
    According to dozens of "useful phrases" both on line and printed on paper they use "mersi", (not "merci"). Are they wrong according to you?
    Last edited by Ben Jamin; 6th February 2013 at 6:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast