Thread: Diploma in teoria e solfeggio

Native language
    Italian - Italy

Diploma in teoria e solfeggio

Buongiorno a tutti!

Could someone help me out explaining if there is a diploma corresponding to the Italian `diploma in teoria e solfeggio' in the UK and the US and how it is called.
    Maybe `music theory and solfeggio diploma'?

Thank you very much!

Native language
    English - US

Re: Diploma in teoria e solfeggio

I have found a reference to "degree in music theory and solfeggio", but I can't find any reference to an AE source.

So I might be inclinded to say "degree in music theory" and then add parenthetically "(including solfeggio)".
    Una mucca dice all'altra "Hai letto della "mucca pazza"? L'altra dice "Sì, ho sentito. Meno male che io sono un pinguino!

Native language
    UK ENGLISH

Hello, people!

Exfalso, when you say "diploma", I assume you're referring to a diploma awarded by the Italian "Conservatorio"?

Tim, if he means that, it's not a degree: the "Conservatorio" is a music school, not a university and it doesn't award degrees, but very high level qualifications in music.

The Royal College of Music in London is a conservatoire, but its courses go from undergraduate to PhD, just like a University.

I'd be tempted to leave the word "Diploma" in this case! I suppose you could also add something like "advanced musical education at University level".

Native language
    Italian - Italy

hi TimLa and london calling,

thanks for replying.

Indeed, it is a a diploma awarded by the Italian Conservatoire after passing an exam. Each student has to go through it before going on with the study of their instrument and obtaining a degree.

I'll be sticking to Diploma in Music Theory, then.

Thanks a lot.

ExFalso

p.s. I'm a lady.

Native language
    English- British

Happened to come across this link years later! If anyone is interested, solfeggio can also be used in English or alternatively it is possible to use solfège (from the French) or sol-fa. In Britain we don't usually study music in this way, so I think it is best to leave the term in Italian - hence "Diploma in (music) theory and solfeggio"