Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 62

Thread: Pink (and things men should not wear)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spain
    Native language
    Spain, Spanish
    Posts
    1,209

    Pink (and things men should not wear)

    Its already late in History and there are still a lot of things that "normal" men wouldn't wear. And it has nothing to do with personal taste (leaving aside the fact that education allows our choices very little freedom).

    What would everybody think if your company's big boss (male) showed up in the morning dressed in a pink suit, his hair styled in a French twist? Would he be less of a male? Would he be less of a boss? But why?

    Do we still need all that attrezzo? (I mean dark colours and neckties and all that staff)
    Last edited by e.ma; 13th June 2007 at 2:39 AM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St Petersburg, Russia
    Native language
    Russian, Russia (St Petersburg)
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,971

    Re: Pink (and things men should not wear)

    Quote Originally Posted by e.ma View Post
    What would everybody think if your company's big boss (male) showed up in the morning dressed in a pink suit, his hair styled in a French twist?
    If it's 1st April, they'll only laugh and say that their boss has an excellent taste, I suppose.
    But otherwise, it would seem very, very strange. And I don't think dress codes are really outdated and should be abandoned: all in all, they have been developing throughout decades, if not centuries, and certainly have sense.
    Imagine a group of businessmen dressed each to his taste on a business meeting. I'm afraid bright clothes would only distract the attention from what is being discussed.
    Anna

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    here and there
    Native language
    slovenia
    Posts
    144

    Re: Pink (and things men should not wear)

    Quote Originally Posted by Etcetera View Post
    If it's 1st April, they'll only laugh and say that their boss has an excellent taste, I suppose.
    But otherwise, it would seem very, very strange. And I don't think dress codes are really outdated and should be abandoned: all in all, they have been developing throughout decades, if not centuries, and certainly have sense.
    Imagine a group of businessmen dressed each to his taste on a business meeting. I'm afraid bright clothes would only distract the attention from what is being discussed.
    I don't agree with that Etcetera. In India is not that strange to see business people in bright colors, which i see very positive. Black and dark colors doesn't necessarily mean serious and professional approach.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St Petersburg, Russia
    Native language
    Russian, Russia (St Petersburg)
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,971

    Re: Pink (and things men should not wear)

    But India is a special case, isn't it? And there are such things as traditions and common taste in each country. What is appropriate in India, may not be appropriate here; and what is more or less appropriate in Russia (being late for a business meeting for some 5 minutes due to traffic jams, for example) would be frowned upon in Germany.
    Anna

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    The Big "D", Texas (since 1993).
    Native language
    Español defeño
    Posts
    8,487

    Re: Pink (and things men should not wear)

    There's always the counterpoint counterculture that insists on being counter-something or other... just contrary, you know?
    For example, there's a T-shirt with a slogan around these here parts that reads: Real Men Wear Pink... If They Want To.
    Usually, if the wearer is a rather large, beefy and hairy guy, very few will object to that sentiment.
    So, like Etc. said, it very much depends on the dreaded "tradition" when it comes to accounting for taste in such matters.
    I think...
    ¿88 relatos descarriados? Un leve desliz…

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Headquarters
    Native language
    Svediż tal-Finlandja
    Posts
    2,331

    Re: Pink (and things men should not wear)

    Quote Originally Posted by e.ma View Post
    Its already late in History and there are still a lot of things that "normal" men wouldn't wear. And it has nothing to do with personal taste (leaving aside the fact that education allows our choices very little freedom).

    What would everybody think if your company's big boss (male) showed up in the morning dressed in a pink suit, his hair styled in a French twist? Would he be less of a male? Would he be less of a boss? But why?

    Do we still need all that attrezzo? (I mean dark colours and neckties and all that staff)
    I wonder the same. I find it ridiculous more than anything. There's also the obsession with gender distinction/segregation involved; "gender dress codes". Just think what would be of the world if we couldn't see on the surface whether someone is a dick- or a vagina individual!

    In Finland at least, it is as rigid as you suggest: the male boss walking in dressed in his pink suit and French twist won't avoid reactions (ridicule, not being taken seriously, thought to have lost his mind, or myriad other reactions...). A female boss, well, she'll probably not get to be boss in the first place if she's too pink, and then, she also shouldn't be too much of a gender bender to get to that position...
    Nixtieq nitgħallem Malti

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Native language
    High German/Danish
    Posts
    2,362

    Re: Pink (and things men should not wear)

    Quote Originally Posted by e.ma View Post
    Its already late in History and there are still a lot of things that "normal" men wouldn't wear. And it has nothing to do with personal taste (leaving aside the fact that education allows our choices very little freedom).

    What would everybody think if your company's big boss (male) showed up in the morning dressed in a pink suit, his hair styled in a French twist? Would he be less of a male? Would he be less of a boss? But why?
    ...

    I'd find it cool - I judge my bosses by the their qualifications as bosses and not by their looks.

    In Germany however it would be unlikely. German businesspeople wear the most boring selection of dark blue suits only (just like the CDU/CSU politicians). If you are at a business meeting and one of the people sitting around the table happens to wear a black suit in stead of a dark blue one I bet it is the guy from the advertising agency who is there for a presentation. (Could be me. We are the men in black - lots of us even drive black cars).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spain
    Native language
    Spain, Spanish
    Posts
    1,209

    Re: Pink (and things men should not wear)

    I'm glad to hear about Indian men's freedom to colours: it only proves Indian culture is sager, at least at this point.

    Jonquiliser's completely got my point. If women have already make a revolution to get equal chances (whether it's been successful or not), shouldn't it at last be marked as "politically incorrect" to go around showing those gender-power signs?

    I read very interesting articles on this issue by professor Beatriz Preciado, but I have no time to look for the reference now.

    Sepia: nice to hear that, but up to now there is very few people who judge their bosses (or whoever) by their qualifications and not by their looks. I mean VERY VERY FEW!
    Last edited by e.ma; 13th June 2007 at 1:33 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    here and there
    Native language
    slovenia
    Posts
    144

    Re: Pink (and things men should not wear)

    Quote Originally Posted by e.ma View Post
    I'm glad to hear about Indian men's freedom to colours: it only proves Indian culture is sager, at least at this point.

    Jonquiliser's completely got my point. If women have already make a revolution to get equal chances (whether it's been successful or not), shouldn't it at last be marked as "politically incorrect" to go around showing those gender-power signs?

    I read very interesting articles on this issue by professor Beatriz Preciado, but I have no time to look for the reference now.

    Sepia: nice to hear that, but up to now there is very few people who judge their bosses (or whoever) by their qualifications and not by their looks. I mean VERY VERY FEW!
    I am not sure that this shows men's freedom in India, it is just a custom, Black and white color are not very popular in India. In my country, Slovenia, another tendency is coming up. Not to wear suit at all. When I was living and working there I could hardly see my bosses wearing suit and ties (which i don't mind at all!!), but yes, when they did it was in a dark color.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Barcelona
    Native language
    Catalan, Spain
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,612

    Re: Pink (and things men should not wear)

    There is a semi-famous economist, Xavier Sala-i-Martin, who is well known for wearing extravagant, colourful ties and jackets. The funny thing is you'd expect him to have revolutionary ideas, but no. Far from it, in fact, he's a firm adherent to the classic orthodox economic doctrine.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spain
    Native language
    Spain, Spanish
    Posts
    1,209

    Re: Pink (and things men should not wear)

    Nice to hear about this Slovenian "step-to-opening"

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Native language
    Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    Age
    33
    Posts
    4,468

    Re: Pink (and things men should not wear)

    Quote Originally Posted by e.ma View Post
    Its already late in History and there are still a lot of things that "normal" men wouldn't wear. And it has nothing to do with personal taste (leaving aside the fact that education allows our choices very little freedom).

    What would everybody think if your company's big boss (male) showed up in the morning dressed in a pink suit, his hair styled in a French twist? Would he be less of a male? Would he be less of a boss? But why?

    Do we still need all that attrezzo? (I mean dark colours and neckties and all that staff)
    Well, I don't think men are the only ones suffering from this "code".

    As a working female, I have to go to work with "nice" outfits as well, which means no jeans, no T-shirt........And you certainly won't see me walking into a meeting with mini skirts or slippers There are days I am so tired that I just want to wear whatever makes me feel comfortable, but it's simply out of the question if I want to be respected (and I think this is even more unfair to women because we are always afraid of being accused of showing off our bodies)

    Nobody tells me that, but I just know it by heart. Actually, if one day I have to discuss this matter with anyone in the office, then I'm sure I'm in big trouble
    Getting old is such sweet sorrow...Nichec & Shakespeare

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    The planet Earth
    Native language
    Latvian, Latvia
    Age
    41
    Posts
    480

    Re: Pink (and things men should not wear)

    Quote Originally Posted by ciganka View Post
    I am not sure that this shows men's freedom in India, it is just a custom, Black and white color are not very popular in India. In my country, Slovenia, another tendency is coming up. Not to wear suit at all. When I was living and working there I could hardly see my bosses wearing suit and ties (which i don't mind at all!!), but yes, when they did it was in a dark color.
    Actually white dress is the most common color for Indian men, especially in rural areas. It is interesting that while India is very codified with dress colors – safron and red for renunciates, white for family men etc. – comparing with western countries there is much less social pressure regarding the color and type of clothing you want to wear. A man wearing pink suit would be regarding as extravagant but not immodest. And after Holi festival many will continue to were their color stained clothes to show how much fun they had.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Native language
    Argentina Spanish
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,578

    Re: Pink (and things men should not wear)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sepia View Post
    I'd find it cool - I judge my bosses by the their qualifications as bosses and not by their looks.

    In Germany however it would be unlikely. German businesspeople wear the most boring selection of dark blue suits only (just like the CDU/CSU politicians). If you are at a business meeting and one of the people sitting around the table happens to wear a black suit in stead of a dark blue one I bet it is the guy from the advertising agency who is there for a presentation. (Could be me. We are the men in black - lots of us even drive black cars).
    Wow! I find it very interesting! Mainly because here in Argentina business men don't ussually wear blue suits...they prefer black ones... or gray ones.
    And if a man turns up at work with a pink suit...he will surely appear on TV! The most they can wear in pink is a tie. In fact, I like pink ties very much, but many people are still very conservative here.
    "We're all ignorant of something"

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Native language
    Finland, Finnish
    Age
    70
    Posts
    4,352

    Re: Pink (and things men should not wear)

    Quote Originally Posted by Sepia View Post
    I'd find it cool - I judge my bosses by the their qualifications as bosses and not by their looks.
    It's easy to say so, Sepia, but how many people really are capable to judge their bosses by qualifications? Very few. And when you meet your boss for the first time, how do you know his qualifications? You don't. You judge him/her by his/her looks.

    And E.ma, you asked "why". Well, we have to keep in mind that what we wear is also a message to other people. If the boss comes to the office dressed like a clown, he/she wants to be taken as a clown; if he/she is wearing jeans, it's also a message. Even wearing a dark suit but leaving the tie away may be a message, if this happens in an official meeting.

    Look at the teenagers anywhere in the world. They seem to wear anything they want, just to raise a revolution against the "dress code". But no, they don't dress freely, they have very strict codes of their own.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spain
    Native language
    Spain, Spanish
    Posts
    1,209

    Re: Pink (and things men should not wear)

    Quote Originally Posted by Hakro View Post
    And E.ma, you asked "why". Well, we have to keep in mind that what we wear is also a message to other people. If the boss comes to the office dressed like a clown, he/she wants to be taken as a clown; if he/she is wearing jeans, it's also a message. Even wearing a dark suit but leaving the tie away may be a message, if this happens in an official meeting.

    Look at the teenagers anywhere in the world. They seem to wear anything they want, just to raise a revolution against the "dress code". But no, they don't dress freely, they have very strict codes of their own.
    You're just right, but I'm wondering, shouldn't we update the meanings inside those messages a little bit?

    More over: women cannot choose either, but I think they have a wider spectrum of "allowed" possibilities. For example, in Spain, in formal meetings, men can't wear sandals, and not even take jackets off (imagine the heat now in summer!), while women are allowed to wear very light outfits (maybe not TOO pink, but quite cool).
    Anyway, both males and females are being too much restricted, and nobody wins.

    One more thing: I've noticed that "men's" colours tend to be the same that or very near to mourning colours...!!!
    Last edited by e.ma; 14th June 2007 at 12:30 PM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Native language
    UK English
    Posts
    2,624

    Re: Pink (and things men should not wear)

    Banning some colours for either sex is so moronic ... and makes me feel like wearing pink in countries where people believe men cannot wear it.
    Besides it is well-known it was those sour 19th-c Protestant Puritans who compelled men to wear grey and black. Fortunately Benetton (United Colours) and fashion designers have been changing all this for at least 30 years.
    Last edited by Qcumber; 14th June 2007 at 9:09 PM.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Native language
    Argentina Spanish
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,578

    Re: Pink (and things men should not wear)

    I would never date a guy who dresses pink suits...but that is my personal taste...I really think that everyone can dress whatever they want...but they also have to allow people to think what they want about it. Freedom in every respect.
    "We're all ignorant of something"

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Adelaide
    Native language
    Australia English
    Posts
    4,488

    Re: Pink (and things men should not wear)

    Quote Originally Posted by e.ma View Post
    Its already late in History and there are still a lot of things that "normal" men wouldn't wear. And it has nothing to do with personal taste (leaving aside the fact that education allows our choices very little freedom).

    What would everybody think if your company's big boss (male) showed up in the morning dressed in a pink suit, his hair styled in a French twist? Would he be less of a male? Would he be less of a boss? But why?

    Do we still need all that attrezzo? (I mean dark colours and neckties and all that staff)
    Every country, every culture has ideas about what is suitable clothing for work and other occasions.

    If a boss wants to be taken seriously, she or he must dress in the expected manner for that industry. If you're the boss of a Haute Couture fashion house you'll dress one way. If you're the Maitre d'Hotel, in another way, and so on.

    Would you, as a man, wear a pink suit, make up and wig, to your grandmother's funeral? Would you wear a swimming costume and flip-flop sandals to your cousin's white wedding?
    Bibo, ergo sum.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St Petersburg, Russia
    Native language
    Russian, Russia (St Petersburg)
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,971

    Re: Pink (and things men should not wear)

    Quote Originally Posted by Brioche View Post
    Would you, as a man, wear a pink suit, make up and wig, to your grandmother's funeral? Would you wear a swimming costume and flip-flop sandals to your cousin's white wedding?
    Exactly.
    What should be taken into account is the actual situation and what is suitable for it and what isn't.
    Dressing in fancy suits may be judged if it's a masquerade, for example. But if it's a normal working day, what's the point of distracting the attention of employees who have many other, more important, things to do?
    Anna

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •