Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is English compulsory course in your country?

Native language
    Mandarin

Please delete this I just found a similar thread

English is a compulsory course in China. I wonder whether it is a compulsory course in the courtries where English is not an official language, such as Germany, France.

And is it ture that most Germans speak English? Thanks!
    Last edited by twinklestar; 5th December 2008 at 5:49 AM.

Native language
    Spanish-Chile

Re: Is English compulsory course in your country?

Here in Chile... English is a compulsory course in Schools and at least since one year the Universities are making English as a compulsory course in their careers because they know that is very important to learn a new language…
    And it depends of the Schools sometimes…for example I had Italian as a compulsory course in School because my school was founded by an Italian Priest…

Ps:sorry for my mistakes...=)
    ::::::::Forbidden fruit is sweeter ::::::::

Native language
    Spanish. Spain

It is compulsory in Spain too almost from kindergarten.

Most of those teenagers who leave school at 18 can't speak a word of English, but that is entirely another question.
    In order to form an immaculate member of a flock of sheep one must, above all, be a sheep. I am a platypus.

Native language
    Chile - Español

Yes it is in Chile.
    But level is so bad in most of the schools.
    Well… at least you learn how to say “pencil”, and “window”.
    All the best.
    _
    You've got the sun, you've got the moon, and you've got the Rolling Stones.

Native language
    Français

In France it is compulsory. Not necessarily as a first language, you usually can choose between German and English, but if German is our first language, you'll have to take English as your Second language for, at least, two years.

Katoussa.

Native language
    Austrian (as opposed to Australian)

It is compulsory in Austria to learn "a" foreign language. This usually is English; and courses begin with primary school.

But even those schools who do not have English as first foreign language introduce English as a second foreign language later; there are only very few schools where English isn't first foreign language, and I guess none where it isn't at least second foreign language.
    "An esoteric may claim more nonsense in 5 minutes than a scientist may be able to disprove in his entire life." Vince Ebert, about fighting sciolism.

Native language
    Catalan, Spain

Quote Originally Posted by alexacohen View Post
    I think it's more like in Austria. It is compulsory that schools teach a foreign language, which does not have to be specifically English, although in practice it is.

Native language
    Spanish. Spain

Quote Originally Posted by ernest_ View Post
    I think it's more like in Austria. It is compulsory that schools teach a foreign language, which does not have to be specifically English, although in practice it is.
    I stand corrected.
    In order to form an immaculate member of a flock of sheep one must, above all, be a sheep. I am a platypus.

Native language
    Slovene

In Slovenia the situation is similar to the situation in Austria. English is taught as a first foreign language in most schools, the exception being perhaps schools along the border, where Italian/Hungarian is taught first or alongside English. German is also taught as a first language instead of English in some primary schools(I have a co-worker whose first foreign language is German; he later underwent an English language course and learnt the basics there).

Native language
    Español

Quote Originally Posted by alexacohen View Post

Most of those teenagers who leave school at 18 can't speak a word of English, but that is entirely another question.
    This made me laugh, is exaclty the same in México. After 12 years of studying English, you must consider yourself lucky if you find a highschool graduate that conjugates the verb to be and uses it correctly. A disgrace.

Native language
    Italian

It is compulsory in Italy as well (from grade 3 on, at least when I went to school). But as in other countries, it is taught in a very err... mild way.

Native language
    Slovene

According to my info, inhabitants of the so called "Latin countries" usually have very bad foreign language programs in public schools and the consequences of such policies are of course known. I can say this is certainly true for Italy, where it is almost impossible to find an Italian who speaks at least some basic English. If you go to Italy, you are dead in the water without some basic Italian and English doesn`t get you far, you can actually do better with Slovene, especially close to the borther in Friuli-Giulia.

Native language
    Italian

Yes, we don't put too much emphasis on foreign languages teaching, although I think the younger generation do have at least a very basic knowledge of English. As regards the pre-1950 generation, they probably have a better knowledge of French, since that was the first foreign language taught in schools back then.

Native language
    Chilean Spanish & Chilean Coa

Quote Originally Posted by Vampiro View Post
    Yes it is in Chile.
    But level is so bad in most of the schools.
    Well… at least you learn how to say “pencil”, and “window”.
    All the best.
    _
    That it is public schools, in privates ones you can find a really good level of english, right now the government is working to give more and better english classes but is not a easy thing I have english teachers than doesn't speak english at all, but they have their degree and all....
    Bad words, bad words what are you gonna do when they come for you.

Native language
    Italian & British English (bilingual)

Quote Originally Posted by federicoft View Post
    It is compulsory in Italy as well (from grade 3 on, at least when I went to school). But as in other countries, it is taught in a very err... mild way.
    Is English compulsory in Italy? Or just any foreign/Europeanlanguage?

I'm confused because I attended high school in Italy (liceo scientifico), but I studied French at school, not English (which was great because I am bilingual anyway - however my classmates studied French too, and they didn't speak a word of English. And other students in my school chose to study Spanish, instead of English)

But then, that was a decade ago, I'm not sure if school in Italy has changed since then.

Rye

Native language
    Italian

That was true in the past (indeed, until some decades ago the first foreign language was French). Today the only compulsory foreign language is English and, in the most prestigious secondary school type (the liceo) English and Latin - in liceo classico there's also ancient Greek.
    A minority of students in middle school or high school learn French too. Just in a type of liceo specializing in foreign languages (liceo linguistico), students learn a third language (German, Spanish or Russian).
    Last edited by federicoft; 7th December 2008 at 7:52 PM.

Native language

Quote Originally Posted by federicoft View Post
    That was true in the past (indeed, until some decades ago the first foreign language was French). Today the only compulsory foreign language is English and, in the most prestigious secondary school type (the liceo) English and Latin - in liceo classico there's also ancient Greek.
    A minority of students in middle school or high school learn French too. Just in a type of liceo specializing in foreign languages (liceo linguistico), students learn a third language (German, Spanish or Russian).
    It makes sense! Thanks for clarifying. I attended a "liceo scientifico" in Italy (I would have loved to attend a "liceo classico" because I wanted to study Greek too, but my parents pretty much forced my choice) and I studied Latin (compulsory) and French (as one of three possible language options - the others were English and Spanish). I graduated in 2000 but I think Italian school was reformed soon after that.

So now, after reforms, are all students in Italy supposed to study English (no other options available unless they attend a liceo linguistico)? Even if they are native English speakers? Or can native English speakers (attending a liceo) choose a different foreign language to study in school?

Thanks in advance, I find this really interesting!

Rye

Native language
    Slovene

Well, small contries obviously have the advantage of better foreign language programs in public schools. This is true for Slovenia and probably for most other smaller contries too. In my country most people learn at least two foreign languages in highschools and one(this is due to change soon and two foreign languages will be taught) in elementary school. Most students learn English as a first foreign language, some also German, Italian or other(rarely). In highschools most learn two foreign languages(the second being most often German) and in some highschools(for "turist technician" or "language and classical gymnasiums") three or more foreign languages are obligatory. And beside that most Slovenes have at least basic or passive knowledge of Serbo-Croatian, which means that the majority of Slovenes speaks at least one foreign language actively and have at least passive knowledge of two or three more. The degree of proficiency of course varies as not all schools offer equally demanding foreign language classes.
    Last edited by trance0; 7th December 2008 at 11:30 PM.

Native language
    Slovene

The reason is probably mentality of the general population. I think this is quite typical for inhabitants of larger countries or of countries that have so called "world languages" that are official in their coutries.

Native language

By the way: I found this thread from last September

It may interest you!

Rye

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast