Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: All Slavic languages: Standard language comprehension [audio/video]

Native language
    Slovak

Re: All Slavic languages: Standard language comprehension

Quote Originally Posted by marco_2 View Post
    I suppose Ruthenian is more comprehensible for Slovaks than for Ukrainians
    I cannot affirm this for the Ukrainians.
    Anyway, I (as a person not from Eastern Slovakia) find Pannonian Rusyn fairly easy. I think, that it has the potential to be at least as understable for Slovaks as Polish is.

Quote Originally Posted by jazyk View Post
    I do think that many Czechs (not all) pronounce their d's much harder than speakers of other languages.
    These d-s effect on me rather as badges of a phonological kerning.
    One way or another, in Czech they ding perfectly.

And here are other videos:

Moravian singer talks "a story on H"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8EBF-XxR1w

Slovak late actor recites a romantic poem
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KCse2zSzII

Native language
    Brazílie, portugalština

One way or another, in Czech they ding perfectly.
    Mohol by si to preložiť do slovenčiny? Ja tomu nerozumiem.
    Ďakujem.
    Jazyk

Native language
    Slovak

Tak či onak, v češtine zvučia (vo význame znejú) dokonale.

Týmto som chcel vyjadriť, že tieto d-éčka v češtine proste súzvučia, že v nej znejú prirodzene a dôstojne, čo by o nich v takej slovenčine pravdaže neplatilo (počul som aj niekoľko Slovákov hovoriacich týmto štýlom).

Ak to viete vhodnejšie preložiť do angličtiny pri zachovaní mnou požadovanej výstižnosti, kľudne mi to prezraďte a ja to po uvážení prepíšem.

Native language
    Brazílie, portugalština

Tak či onak, v češtine zvučia (vo význame znejú) dokonale.

Týmto som chcel vyjadriť, že tieto d-éčka v češtine proste súzvučia, že v nej znejú prirodzene a dôstojne, čo by o nich v takej slovenčine pravdaže neplatilo (počul som aj niekoľko Slovákov hovoriacich týmto štýlom).
    Už je mi všetko jasné. Ďakujem.
    Jazyk

Native language
    Tcheco

Quote Originally Posted by vianie View Post
    Co přesně znamená tahle věta? Mám problém hlavně s tím "phonological kerning".

Native language
    Czech

Moravian singer talks "a story on H"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8EBF-XxR1w
    I don't find this video much funny. There are some vulgar words, some German words - hilfe, hakenkreuz, himmel herrgott, it can be offensive for homosexuals, etc. In every case it is not "standard language" at all.

Sorry for off-topic, but I just wanted to say that not for all people this video is funny.

Slovak late actor recites a romantic poem
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KCse2zSzII
    Quite archaic language, 90 %
    Last edited by ilocas2; 14th December 2010 at 7:08 AM.

Native language
    Slovak

I think, that it has the potential to be at least as understandable for Slovaks as Polish is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayazid View Post
    Co přesně znamená tahle věta? Mám problém hlavně s tím "phonological kerning".
    Že podľa mňa písmeno d vyslovujete ako vyslovujete kvôli zvukovej plynulosti. To kerning bola len symbolika.

Quote Originally Posted by ilocas2 View Post
    I don't find this video much funny. There are some vulgar words, some German words - hilfe, hakenkreuz, himmel herrgott, it can be offensive for homosexuals, etc.
    Precisely because of these things I have long considered whether I post this video here, but in the end there prevailed the linguistic perspective and I tried it. It was also about to show to the other forumers, what the current language is and not what it should be.

In every case it is not "standard language" at all.
    I opined that it is more standard than obecní čeština.

Yes, that was expressly an archaic language. Not to mention the accent and pronounciation at the moment, I did not understand some words too.

Native language
    Czech

Precisely because of these things I have long considered whether I post this video here, but in the end there prevailed the linguistic perspective and I tried it. It was also about to show to the other forumers, what the current language is and not what it should be.
    I must clarify that nor Hilfe or Hakenkreuz are commonly used in Czech. They are incomprehensible without knowledge of German. Hergot or Himlhergot are used, it's true.

I opined that it is more standard than obecná čeština.
    You're right.

Yes, that was expressly an archaic language. Not to mention the accent and pronounciation at the moment, I did not understand some words too.
    This version is much nicer and has even lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0aLY...eature=related
    Last edited by ilocas2; 14th December 2010 at 2:01 AM.

Native language
    -

Re: Artificial Slavic languages

Slavic comprehension is a myth. I can understand Slovenian, Croatian (cakavian, kajkavian, stokavian), Serbian, Bosniac, Montenegrin and Macedonian, but even Slovak and Bulgar are only a few words among 20 words....

Native language
    Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Istriano View Post
    Slavic comprehension is a myth. I can understand Slovenian, Croatian (cakavian, kajkavian, stokavian), Serbian, Bosniac, Montenegrin and Macedonian, but even Slovak and Bulgar are only a few words among 20 words....
    Define "understand". Written? Spoken? For example, I find it hard to believe that a non-native speaker of BCS would understand spoken non-pidginized Kajkavian.

Native language
    Slovenian (a.k.a. Slovene)

As a native Slovenian speaker, I can read Czech and Slovak news articles without major difficulties, even though I've had very little exposure to either language. Spoken language is a different matter, however.

Quote Originally Posted by itreius View Post
    Define "understand". Written? Spoken? For example, I find it hard to believe that a non-native speaker of BCS would understand spoken non-pidginized Kajkavian.
    Since Istriano understands both Slovenian and BCS, I assume he would also be able to understand Kajkavian fairly well. After all, Kajkavian is a Croatian dialect transitional to Slovenian; its grammatical structure is similar to that of Slovenian.
    Last edited by TriglavNationalPark; 14th December 2010 at 7:57 PM.

Native language
    Assembly

Meh, that's what happens when I don't engage the brain before posting.

Native language
    Slovak

I opined that it is more standard than obecná čeština.
    Oh, of course. Just for an explanation: Czech obecný = Slovak všeobecný and Czech obecní = Slovak obecný.

Native language
    -

Quote Originally Posted by itreius View Post
    I understand Gruntovcani perfectly.

Native language
    Bosnian

I don't. Say 90% or so.

Native language
    Russian

I suppose Ruthenian is more comprehensible for Slovaks than for Ukrainians
    Ruthenian spoken in Ukraine is very comprehensible for Ukrainians since,scientifically speaking, it is a dialect of Ukrainian

I agree with the fact that Slavic comprehension is a myth . Russians can barely understand Ukrainian(Ukrainians all understand Russian since for many of them Russian is mothertongue or at least they're all fluent in Russian).
    I was surprised in Bulgaria(many say Russian and Bulgarian are very similar) when I asked something in Russian people looked at me as if I were and alien,only the old ones could understand a bit ... as for Bulgarian, I could understand some of the written words,but what Bulgarian speak sounds to me like Greek or something.

Native language
    български

Quote Originally Posted by deem-a View Post
    i was surprised in bulgaria(many say russian and bulgarian are very similar) when i asked something in russian people looked at me as if i were and alien,only the old ones could understand a bit ... As for bulgarian, i could understand some of the written words,but what bulgarian speak sounds to me like greek or something.
    Според мен би трябвало да можете да разбирате поне писмен български, защото значително мнозинство от думите са сходни, а сериозните граматически различия поне според мене не са решаващи. По отношение на говоримия български вероятно наистина имате право, защото се прибавя като трудност фонетическите различия, които доста често не позволяват да се разпознаят сходните думи, а и освен това на слух разбирането на какъвто и да е език е винаги по-трудно.

Native language
    польщЪзна

Re: All Slavic languages: Mutual intelligibility

ali isto tako je i u Njemačkoj, a ukoliko znam to i u Bugarskoj postoje različne narječa i govore.

mala edicija
    Last edited by xpictianoc; 22nd December 2010 at 9:21 PM.

Native language
    Croatian - Chakavian & Kaykavian

Re: All Slavic languages: Mutual intelligibility

Quote Originally Posted by xpictianoc View Post
    ali isto tako je i u Njemačkoj, a ukoliko znam to i u Bugarskoj postoje različne narječa i govore.
    Kašubski jezik:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQePUyGkz0A
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpNcqWeOKYc
    These links to Kashubian comparatively appear very interesting to me. I had yet formerly a scarce insight in the written Kashubian, and that appeared few intelligible to me (and also to other BCS users). These new linked videos are even less intelligible by us from BCS, i.e. the first Kashubian sermon is hardy intelligible (only a basic meaning of phrases), and the 2nd one with singing Kashubian was almost completely incomprehensible. My provisional impression was that Kashubian may be also exotic to BCS speakers on a similar level, as is our northernmost Baegnjunski exotic and unintelligible to many other Slavs; both ones appear to be probably two extreme antipodes within Slavism.

This offering of 'Gruntovcani' as an example for understanding northern Croat-Kaykavian is not the best representative for lingual purposes, because it was produced in a transitional margin at the easternmost limit of Kaykavians (Virje-Djurdjevac area) with many sub-standard Shtokavian impacts; i.e. that hybrid artificial example is really about 2/3 Kaykavian only (the rest being Shtokavian admixture). Any other typical example of a true Kaykavian e.g. from Zagorje hills or Medjimurje plain, or even urban elders from Varaždin or Zagreb city (Agramer) would undoubtely result by considerably lower comprehension.
    Last edited by Wikislav; 22nd December 2010 at 9:21 PM. Reason: add. Gruntovcani

Native language
    български

But relatively understandable to me.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast