Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What subject is most important in your school?

Native language
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂

Re: What subject is most important in your school?

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro y La Torre View Post
    Is German compulsory in Alsace L'irlandais? I imagine many students would have grandparents who are Alsatian German speakers and would read les Dernières Nouvelles d'Alsace auf Deutsch, etc.
    Hi Pedro,
    Months too late. Sorry I missed your question. I don't think it's compulsory, German is the usual second language, for economic reasons rather than historic ones. Getting a job in nearby Germany or in Basel is tempting ; a little like going to work in London, lured alot of us away from Ireland's green shores. (Sort of "Malgré l'historique entre les deux pays".) Here's a little background on the topic : The teaching of German in the primary schools of Alsace. (In French)

The DNA* in German, is hard enough to get hold of at the Newsagents, probaly best to suscribe directly to their offices to get a copy regularly.
    *Notice that their website is available only in french.
    John Henry Newman : "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."

Native language
    English (Ireland)

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    Hi Pedro,
    Months too late. Sorry I missed your question. I don't think it's compulsory, German is the usual second language, for economic reasons rather than historic ones. Getting a job in nearby Germany or in Basel is tempting ; a little like going to work in London, lured alot of us away from Ireland's green shores. (Sort of "Malgré l'historique entre les deux pays".) Here's a little background on the topic : The teaching of German in the primary schools of Alsace. (In French)

The DNA* in German, is hard enough to get hold of at the Newsagents, probaly best to suscribe directly to their offices to get a copy regularly.
    *Notice that their website is available only in french.
    Thanks for that.
    You can consult German content on DNA's website here.

Native language
    Português

Hi!
    inMOZAMBIQUE
    the most important subject(s) is(are) portuguese and english and biology there are other...but for me are only these. thankS
    Last edited by Sedoso; 5th August 2012 at 10:15 PM.

Native language
    Russian & German (GER) bilingual

Biology, not maths?

Native language
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂

Thanks for that.
    You can consult German content on DNA's website here.
    Hi again,
    I searched long and hard for that Deutsche Nachrichten button, without sucess.
    They're not alone in offering news in German. Only I suspect the German readership count isn't as high as one might think.

English being by far the prefered second language for on-line newspapers here in France.
    For example : Le Monde diplomatique in English. (22 papers offering English, a couple of Spanish versions & a Basque language paper to boot.)
    John Henry Newman : "We demand strict proof for opinions we dislike, but are satisfied with mere hints for what we’re inclined to accept."

Native language
    English (Ireland)

Quote Originally Posted by L'irlandais View Post
    Hi again,
    I searched long and hard for that Deutsche Nachrichten button, without sucess.
    They're not alone in offering news in German. Only I suspect the German readership count isn't as high as one might think.

English being by far the prefered second language for on-line newspapers here in France.
    For example : Le Monde diplomatique in English. (22 papers offering English, a couple of Spanish versions & a Basque language paper to boot.)
    I suppose it'd be mostly the generations born in the 1920s and 1930s that would be reading it now; though I did have a colleague from Alsace who told me that her uncle (born in the early 60s) spoke poor French, much preferring Alsatian dialect and/or Hochdeutsch; however he was a farmer from a rural area, so I suppose his case would not be typical.

Native language
    India - Hindi & English

In India, maths and the school's primary language (could be English, Hindi or any of the other Indian languages) are the two most important subjects, considered by way of hours spent on them. If general perception is the criterion, then maths and all physical science subjects are the most important ones, as most parents consider languages and social sciences to be irrelevant for their child's future.

Native language
    English (Ireland)

Quote Originally Posted by greatbear View Post
    In India, maths and the school's primary language (could be English, Hindi or any of the other Indian languages) are the two most important subjects, considered by way of hours spent on them. If general perception is the criterion, then maths and all physical science subjects are the most important ones, as most parents consider languages and social sciences to be irrelevant for their child's future.
    Save English, of course?

Native language
    India - Hindi & English

Save English, of course?
    No, not save English, since many Indians speak English (the Indian variant) 'naturally', even before they've started going to school; also, most children already speak very good English with a vocabulary that outpaces what they learn in school.
    English becomes important only when students are applying after high school or after graduation to a US university, wherein they need to prove their English abilities through some standardized test. This becomes an issue for those students who have studied in vernacular-language schools for most of their lives.

Native language
    English (Ireland)

Quote Originally Posted by greatbear View Post
    No, not save English, since many Indians speak English (the Indian variant) 'naturally', even before they've started going to school; also, most children already speak very good English with a vocabulary that outpaces what they learn in school.
    English becomes important only when students are applying after high school or after graduation to a US university, wherein they need to prove their English abilities through some standardized test. This becomes an issue for those students who have studied in vernacular-language schools for most of their lives.
    Could you quantify that, if possible, greatbear? I know that many Indians speak some English, but a natural sounding variety would surely be the preserve of a tiny minority outwith extensive schooling?

Native language
    India - Hindi & English

Could you quantify that, if possible, greatbear? I know that many Indians speak some English, but a natural sounding variety would surely be the preserve of a tiny minority outwith extensive schooling?
    What I meant by natural was "Indian English". English is one of the official languages of India, and though officially only around 12-15% of the population is supposed to be English speakers (which itself is a high amount for a 1-billion-plus population), I would rather put the figure at easily 25% or more.

Native language
    Chinese - Cantonese (HK)

In Hong Kong, the most important subjects are Chinese and English with roughly equal weight, followed by Maths, then LS, a weird subject where you look at news clippings, political cartoons or statistics and answer questions based on six modules (personal growth, HK, China, globalisation, public health and the environmnent).

Native language
    Czech

I think the answer to the original question is very simple and universal:

reading, writing, calculating

This is the so called trivium (hence the term "trivial school" for the elementary schools in the Austrian Empire, 1774-?).

Many people all over the world live happily having only a good grasp of the trivium.
    Last edited by bibax; 19th December 2012 at 8:12 PM.

Native language
    Berber

During the high school? I really miss those days !!

At Lycée Moulay Ali Cherif Alhoceima, even though I wanted to do science math. , I did science ex. (experimental science), so Maths goes first (5 hours a week) , followed by French and Physics / Chemistry and natural sciences Biology and Geology (4 hours), and then English (3 hours), then Arabic and philosophy and scientific translation and history & geography and physical education and Islamic education (2 hours).
    Everything in this existence is false except for freedom which does not permit any kind of compromise. - Muhammad Ibn 'Abd al-Karim al-Khattabi.

Native language
    Français

It's so hard!

Native language
    Русский

Quote Originally Posted by bibax View Post
    I think the answer to the original question is very simple and universal:

reading, writing, calculating
    Add there running, jumping and casting things, and we get pretty much the picture for Russia. Reading and writing — generally in Russian only, reading and commenting on literature included (mostly XIX and XX centuries). The rest is sciences, a foreign language (almost always one), some history, and a little bit of arts.

When a Russian enters a college or a university (which are both called "университеты" in today Russia), he or she continues to run/jump/cast things and study his or her foreign language (usually English, with exceptions). The attitude is formal, and when talking of foreign languages such as English, the following is true for historical reasons: "Every gentleman should have studied English, but no gentleman should know English", just like in Jack London's "Martin Eden" somebody had said of Latin. (Not so long ago Russia considered itslef a self-sufficient country, so this is natural.)
    Last edited by Ёж!; 21st May 2013 at 3:05 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123