Thread: pobre cito [pobrecito] = term of endearment

Native language
    USA-English

pobre cito [pobrecito] = term of endearment

Hi everyone!

I wonder if someone can help me? I've been getting to know a Cuban man. I think I'm developing feelings for him and have been searching for some sort of "term of endearment" to use for him. I used to have a teacher who was Cuban and she would often say (I think) "pobre cito" which I understood to mean "poor baby". So would it be appropriate to call a man you are dating (or want to be dating) "cito"? I can't find it in any dictionary except as a conjugation of "citar". Did I not hear correctly? Or maybe I'm spelling wrong (something spelled differently but sounds similar?).

I don't want to call him Papí, or Papíto... maybe someday, but something along the lines of "baby" other than bebe?

Any help is appreciated!
    Thanks!
    -Dayv

Native language
    Afghanistan/USA

Re: Is "cito" a term of endearment?

Pobrecito, although a compound word, does not include the word for "baby" in Spanish. You wouldn't go around calling someone you love a "bebé"; calling someone you love baby is very "English". You could say "querido".

Bien
    Más contexto, más contento. Ayúdenos a mejorar las traducciones. Denos contexto.

Native language
    English, USA

Cito isn't a name It's a diminutive suffix. (along with ito/ita/cita/and a bunch of other ones)

Pobre = poor person
    Pobrecito = poor lil' guy

Native language
    USA English

"Pobre" means "poor", and "pobrecito", with the diminutive ending, means "poor little thing."

You might go for generic terms of endearment, like "cariño" (dear), "querido" (dear, again), "chulo" (cutie) ... "amorcito" (little love) ...

There have been other queries of this type in this forum, so you might also check out what´s been said with the search function.

Native language
    Afghanistan/USA

Más contexto, más contento. Ayúdenos a mejorar las traducciones. Denos contexto.

Native language
    Spanish/Argentina

Pobrecito, is used sometimes as a term of endearment. It is done with pobre plus the ending cito. Pobrecito: poor baby. It is not a word, but an ending in this context.
    In another context, cito, means "I quote". Infinitive: citar.

Native language
    Ilonggo

Cito is a suffix to denote an endearment. But this used to give it a personal touch. Usually, kids are the ones to which this is applied. If the person is a grown-up, you better use cariño. However, if it's just between the two of you, you can call each other whatever names would please you both.

After all, the rest would have nothing to do with your own terms of endearment.

Native language
    USA-English

Thank you all very much for responding (and so quickly)! I'm very glad I asked before a misunderstanding from 15 years ago made me say something that would end up sounding stupid!

Thank you all again!