Thread: please advise

Native language
    English

please advise

Hello everyone,
    I have been emailing with a professor of the German language and at the end of each email she writes: Please advise! I believe that she is not a native English speaker (she is a native German speaker). I was wondering if it were a literal translation of a German verb phrase.

Here is the entire email:
    Lieber Seth,

es tut mir sehr leid, aber ich bin seit gestern krank! Ich kann heute nicht zu Clark kommen!

I apologize, Seth, but I have been a little under the weather since yesterday and will not be able to come to Clark today. Do you think there might be a day and time next week that we could schedule a meeting for? Please advise!
    Por favor corrijan mis errores/S'il vous plaît, corrigez mes fautes.

Native language
    German, Northern Germany

Re: English "Please Advise"

Hello Meyer Wolfsheim

In my environment, "please advise" is very common, also among native speakers of English (engineers, though ... ).

I understand it as something like: "Please let me know what you think about this", "let me have your suggestions" etc. I can't think of any German phrase that it might have been derived from; I actually had to learn "please advise".

Oh, this is so funny: EncyclopaediaDramatica:

common, brief sentence used when someone becomes so confused that s/he requires outside help. Often simply 'pls advise.' (...) Back when the internets were singular and text-only, a writer (and actor and stuff) named Robert Benchley was sent to Venice on assignment for the New Yorker magazine. When he got there, he sent his editor a telegram. STREETS FULL OF WATER. PLEASE ADVISE.
    Last edited by Sowka; 23rd October 2009 at 10:29 PM.
    Until you stalk and overrun, you can't devour anyone. -- Hobbes

Native language
    English

Quote Originally Posted by Sowka View Post
    Hello Meyer Wolfsheim

In my environment, "please advise" is very common, also among native speakers of English (engineers, though ... ).

I understand it as something like: "Please let me know what you think about this", "let me have your suggestions" etc. I can't think of any German phrase that it might have been derived from; I actually had to learn "please advise".

Oh, this is so funny: EncyclopaediaDramatica:
    Then this must be an issue of dialect/usage. I find it very awkward to end a sentence with "Please advise" because it is too ambiguous.

Native language
    Deutsch, German, ドイツ語

http://www.businesswritingblog.com/b...se-advise.html

second google entry for "please advise"

Slovakia / Slovacco / Slowakei / Slovensko
    Native language
    English - US and Dude - a California dialect

Please advise is used to emphasize that I require some information from you before I can proceed. Don't just read this and forget about it - I am waiting for you to do something for me! The information or action that is required should be explained elsewhere in the message. In this case, the professor is waiting for you to stipulate a time and date.
    Last edited by boriszcat; 24th October 2009 at 4:00 PM. Reason: added more

Native language
    English

Quote Originally Posted by boriszcat View Post
    Please advise is used to emphasize that I require some information from you before I can proceed. Don't just read this and forget about it - I am waiting for you to do something for me! The information or action that is required should be explained elsewhere in the message. In this case, the professor is waiting for you to stipulate a time and date.
    Ah yes but the date and time were already decided; this "please advise" was sent as a response to my setting of the date/time.

Native language
    Deutsch, German, ドイツ語

Quote Originally Posted by Meyer Wolfsheim View Post
    Ah yes but the date and time were already decided; this "please advise" was sent as a response to my setting of the date/time.
    Do you think there might be a day and time next week that we could schedule a meeting for? Please advise!

Looks like a question to me not a response.