Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: In what countries do women NOT shave their legs?

Native language
    English (Ireland)

Re: In what countries do women NOT shave their legs?

Quote Originally Posted by rusita preciosa View Post
    In my personal opinion, compared to shaving it is too messy and time consuming; and comparing to a salon job, has much inferior results.
    But you have to do it much less often... anyway, enough on this

Native language
    English - England

I can't say to what extent women in the UK shave their legs. I do remember accompanying some American school kids to Russia in the mid-80s. They took most aspects of the "culture shock" in their stride; but the girls were genuinely horrified that women dared to expose their hairy legs in the metro.
    Last edited by se16teddy; 13th January 2010 at 5:09 PM.
    Please expect this post to change in its first day or so as I reflect on the issue.

Native language
    UK, English

Some friends of mine went to Croatia when it was still Yugoslavia and told me the girls were "attractive but didn't shave their legs". It's probably changed now.
    A lot depends on how hairy women are naturally. I also think that unshaven women's legs bother women themselves more than men!

Native language
    English - US

That's probably true. While the men I know seem to prefer smooth legs, etc., they do not seem to be as horrified by hair on a women as women are...

And one other comment, related to the home waxing... those products are still out there (in fact they're rather common in my house), and they work as well as anything else. It's nice to wax once in a while as opposed to shaving every day...

Native language
    Am English

I suppose those women were so horrified by hairy legs on other women, because they basic concept of what it is to be a woman and femininity was being shaken to the core! It's a shame that it takes an artificial process to make someone feel more "complete" or "right."

Native language
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by rusita preciosa View Post
    With the little info I have, I’d argue that most women do not use home waxing.

A few years ago home-waxing kits were heavily advertised on TV and the supermarkets promoted them in the aisles, but now I do not see any aggressive promotion and don't remember seeing them at the eye level in supermarkets. That could either mean that they did not prove to be very successful, or just that the demand stabilized and people who routinely use them, stayed loyal and make an effort to look for them. In my personal opinion, compared to shaving it is too messy and time consuming; and comparing to a salon job, has much inferior results.
    I am Italian. I do not shave my legs, armpits and err or eyebrows ONCE A DAY: I do have them waxed. ONCE A MONTH

I don't like to be a hairy woman. I do not like hairy women. Most women in Italy do wax their legs. Many others shave them.
    The choiche depends on how they stand pain .

I ususally go to a beauty salon for this purpose. Over the last years I have come to know that many of the ladies I know do not attend a salon so I assume they do it at home.
    I sometimes buy wax strips for using them when I am away for work and I
    - want:
    to look pretty (at least from my point of view)
    - do not want:
    to experience another salon (Salons for women are like barbers' shops for men) .
    I also have an electric shaver for emergencies.ì that I try not to use as piles after shaving become hard and annoying.
    In Italy they sell ... what's the word?... razors (look: http://www.gillettevenus.com/en_US/ ) specially made for women. I do not believe they are different from men's but I do not use them so I can't tell.

I know that some women have their arms waxed aswell. Too hairy.

@ Rusita preciosa: I remember those "machines" for home waxing. I don't see them either any longer. But I have one!

Bye

Native language
    English - United States

Quote Originally Posted by Rozax View Post
    There's really no hygienic purpose for leg-shaving; it's mere vanity.
    I think that it is hygienic, considering how dirt particles and other bacteria can latch on to hairy legs easier than clean shaven ones.
    A lo que te truje chencha

Native language
    UK, English

Quote Originally Posted by SaritaSarang View Post
    I think that it is hygienic, considering how dirt particles and other bacteria can latch on to hairy legs easier than clean shaven ones.
    By that logic also men should shave their legs.

Native language
    English - USA

Quote Originally Posted by pickarooney View Post
    Do many women still shave their legs rather than wax them?
    I have never waxed my legs, and I don't personally know a single woman who's chosen to do this regularly rather than shaving.
    Don't question authority; they don't know either.

Native language
    English - USA

Quote Originally Posted by SaritaSarang View Post
    By that token, we shouldn't have hair on our heads, either. You may find this article interesting, if you think hairless is better.

I'm enjoying my legs being perpetually free from nicks, cuts, and ingrown hairs. I think that's worth more than a teensy bit more dirt particles latching onto me.

Native language
    English - USA

Quote Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
    Some friends of mine went to Croatia when it was still Yugoslavia and told me the girls were "attractive but didn't shave their legs". It's probably changed now.
    A lot depends on how hairy women are naturally. I also think that unshaven women's legs bother women themselves more than men!
    So far, that does seem to be the case. There's been only one half-wit who cried out, "SHE HAS HAIR ON HER LEGS!!" in this past year (she looked like she was in her teens; her fellow half-wit laughed), while others seem more perplexed than anything else.

Native language
    English - New York

I would suggest that women shaving their legs etc. is more universal than some people would think.

As a species, we have a lot of ways of sexually differentiating ourselves. It's rare to see a species so sexually differentiated as humans, but humans are an animal that is very sexual.

We try to exagerate these differences to seem sexier.

Men are naturally more muscular than women because men have more testosterone than women. Men go to the gym to become more and more muscular. The natural difference in muscle mass is exaggerated to draw more attention from the opposite sex. Being big and muscly is very masculine, and no surprise that women generally prefer muscly men.

In this same way, women are naturally less hairy than men.

And so, to exaggerate their femininity, which has naturally endowed them with less hair, they reduce their body hair even more.

So I would guess that, as societies become more open and overt sexual displays become more accepted, more women would shave their legs and more men would go to the gym.

In societies where people aren't sexually displaying themselves in public, you'd probably find less leg-shaving. If everyone gets married at age 16 and no one gets divorced, then you're not in the sexual market, and attracting a partner becomes much less important.

If, however, people are shopping around, they'll obviously put much more effort into attracting a mate, and exaggerating your femininity or masculinity seems a common practice all throughout humanity.

Native language
    English - Wales

Shaving your legs and chest is an incredibly effeminate thing to do for a male.

Native language
    Español

Quote Originally Posted by COF View Post
    Tell that to the Italians.

Native language
    Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)

Quite some men do it for professional reasons, others because they like it, or because they simply prefer not to have hair on their body. But anyway, this thread is about women.
    Last edited by Frank06; 20th August 2010 at 9:09 PM.
    If you open your mind too much, your brain might fall out.

Native language
    English - New York

Hell, I know guys who shave their arms who are far from effetes.

Native language
    USA Northeast

Well, interesting thread! I hadn't really given much thought to it before.
    In the US, I would say almost all women remove leg and underarm hair, and probably do it often. Being seen with any body hair I think would be considered terrible for a woman. I also believe American women by in large shave and don't get waxed. In Europe, it's pretty much the same (I'm talking of Spain and France). The difference is quite a few women don't seem troubled to have some stubble once and a while. This might be because waxing is much more popular than shaving and perhaps they're waiting... Besides, you can still find some (granted few) women who do not remove their body hair and don't see troubled by it.

A new trend indeed is men waxing their chests, backs, shoulders, arms. It seems to me to be more popular by the day in Europe. Men on the beach with tons of chest hair, worse yet back or shoulder hair, is increasingly considered gross. I'm not sure if this change is occurring in the US. I'm not really there that often. In my father's generation they'd have been considered very effeminate to say the least.
    Life is not a dress rehearsal.

Native language
    castellano rioplatense

Here, in Argentina, most women either wax or shave, mainly depending on the amount of body hair.

I had the same problem you did, Rozax, and a few years ago I stopped waxing my legs. My skin felt and looked wonderful. Then I went to the beach. I still remember the look other women gave me: they seemed OFFENDED by the hair on my legs! (Which makes sense: if you are confident that any cultural command is simply proper and right, anybody who dares dissobey it is an offender, in a way.)

A few years later, "permanent" body hair removal became (a little) less expensive and I gave it a try, getting rid of the problem of ingrown hair altogether.
    Being a member of my culture, I like my legs better without hair... but still wish people minded their own business when it comes to the way others choose to look. "Live and let live" is a catchy phrase, but hasn't really caught on... yet!
    Pugliese, Pugliese, Pugliese

Native language
    British English

A group of teenage girls, around my age, and I were discussing hair on the region that seems to be repeatedly referred to as err in this thread. The conclusion: women 'should have' bald errs, but guys 'should have' some hair down there.

I have a friend (again, my age and female) who has hairy arms. I'd say her arms are much hairier than mine, and I'm quite a hairy guy. She got bullied for a few years because of it - I think that shows the opinions of British teens. This bullying notwithstanding, she hasn't to this day done anything to remove the hair from her arms.

A Polish friend, at the time only recently moved to England, was so shocked that one guy had hairy armpits that he started to tease him. The teasing was reversed when he found out that, in England, it's not common for men to shave their armpits, in fact, it's almost looked down on as emasculation.

Lloyd

Native language
    Spain, Spanish

Just to say I envy Kumpel. I hardly have the opportunity to discuss the topic of bald errs with my female friends.
    Only a Spanish speaker. If you need an exact translation, wait for better opinions.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast