Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your country ever invaded other country or been invaded?

Native language
    Mexico / Spanish

Re: Has your country ever invaded other country or been invaded?

Quote Originally Posted by vince
    Canadian territory has not been invaded in its entire history. Nor have we invaded anyone. But we are a small country isolated from everyone except the U.S. so that is understandable. However when we were a British colony there were a couple of wars between the British, French, and Americans on what is now Canadian soil.
    I agree that Canada as a nation has not been invaded, but the territory, well, you just have to ask the First Nations about it...

Native language
    MexCity

That is a very good point!!!
    As far as i remember thr first nations (a.k.a. Natives-indians or the like) were badly invaded by those guys who trade booze for lands.
    In the not-so-fancy cities in Canada you still can see this people drinking and homeless.
    And there is some sort of racism against them.
    I remember some brat guys acting nasty at one of them.
    I was indignated and people saw that, so we went down and talked with this boys.
    How could people blind their eyes?!
    I remember all canadians as cool people, but there are sides everyone pretends to forget or ignore.
    Are you human or you made it up?

Native language
    English

The United States was invaded by the Japan in 1942 in the Aleutian Islands, part of modern day Alaska. They took over the islands of Attu and Kiska. The battle lasted from June 6th 1942 till August 15th 1943. You could also say the US was invaded by Japan at Guam and Wake Island, which are both current US territories.

Russia invaded Japan and took over the Kurile Islands and took over the Japanese part of Sakhalin Island in 1945.

China did invade Vietnam in 1979 and invaded India in 1962, and occupied a part of Indian controlled Kashmir. They still occupy it to this day.

Native language

Why do we have countries anyway? When actually we, as a planet, are so small and powerless. Why can't we live together?

Native language
    Chinese,China

I don't know. And who knows? I remember someone ever saying that "humans are born political beings." And someone else says that "all things are concerning economy".

Native language
    English, Canada

Canadian territory has not been invaded in its entire history.
    But I think those Danes are up to something .

Native language
    Greek, Greece

Greece was invaded in 1453 (known as part of the Byzantium Empire) by the Ottomans (it lasted approximately 400 yrs) and then in WWII by the Germans and the Italians (it lasted approximately 4 yrs)
    Last edited by The Extraordinary; 6th July 2006 at 10:11 PM.

Native language
    Spain, Spanish

Extraordinary, could I add some nuances?

Greece was invaded before (within the Byzatium Empire) by Venetians, Crusaders (1204) and afterwards Spaniards from Aragon Crown. I think that before were short-time invasions by Bulgarians and Serbians.

Greece itself was invaded by Ottomans before Byzantium itself was seized, but too lazy to check the date.
    Only a Spanish speaker. If you need an exact translation, wait for better opinions.

Native language
    Greek, Greece

yeah, I know but those were the main ivasions. I don't mean that the previous invasions were not that important, it's just that those I mentioned had the greatest impact in Greece itself. You mentioned the Crusaders. Indeed, they invaded the Byzandium (Constantinople more specifically, now known as Instanbul) but not Greece. At least, I don't know something about that!

Native language
    Greek Greece

Extraordinary back to your schoolbooks! What do you mean you know nothing about it? Sleeping during History courses eh?

Anyway, Greece was invaded piece-meal by the Ottomans so you won't find a date.

Native language
    English, French - Canada

Canadian territory has not been invaded in its entire history. Nor have we invaded anyone. But we are a small country isolated from everyone except the U.S. so that is understandable. However when we were a British colony there were a couple of wars between the British, French, and Americans on what is now Canadian soil.
    Ah? And where did my ancestors come from then?
    Jo.
    "The power of acute observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - Shaw

Native language
    English, French - Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Brioche
    Every country has either been invaded or has invaded other countries.
    Most countries have done both at some stage in their history.

Governments frequently encourage fear of their neighbours to distract the people's attention from internal problems.
    I would say this is the most reasonable comment.

Although it is fait to say that Canada, as a nation, has never invaded other countries.
    Jo.
    "The power of acute observation is frequently called cynicism by those who don't have it" - Shaw

Native language
    imithe

Quote Originally Posted by jgagnon
    I would say this is the most reasonable comment.

Although it is fait to say that Canada, as a nation, has never invaded other countries.
    No, I suppose the invaders weren't technically "Canada" when they were being territorially acquisitive!

Native language
    Chinese Cantonese, Hong Kong

Quote Originally Posted by toscairn
    China's patriotic education, even jingoistic education, is characterized by "hate Japan, hate Japan," which is a stark contrast to Japan's "live peacefully with other nations, hand in hand; together we will prosper." China teaches hate, but Japan teaches love.
    really? then would you mind to explain the reasons why Chinese and Koreans faces strong racism in Japan?

Native language
    Chinese Cantonese, Hong Kong

Please stop talking about how much money did Japan pay to China.
    And I don't care whether the number of deaths is exaggerated or not, 30000 or 300000, does not matter, the fact is that Japanese did commit cruel crimes in China.

Like I said,I don't care about whether Japan give money to China or not, all I want is a formal and sincere apology from Japan.

We can forgive, but forgiveness can only occur if the other person admits the wrong, apologizes and shows that he is willing to change.

Mod Note: Please see Rule # 22
    Except as a topic of discussion, chatspeak and SMS style are not acceptable. Members must do their best to write using standard language forms.
    This is inclusive of proper capitalisation and punctuation. Thank you.
    Last edited by GenJen54; 8th July 2006 at 2:07 AM.

Native language
    Chinese,China

I can't help wondering whether racism is constrained to certain area or country or people. I don't think so. Well, that's a deviation from the thread. I will return. I read a lot reports about the racism against Chinese in many countries. Some cases in Indonesia were the most notorious, and they didn't happen in Japan, I must admit. However, I am definitely for this:
    We can forgive, but forgiveness can only occur if the other person admits the wrong, apologizes and shows that he is willing to change.
    Last edited by zebedee; 14th July 2006 at 2:54 PM.

Native language

Quote Originally Posted by coconutpalm
    I can't help wondering whether racism is constrained to certain area or country or people. I don't think so. Well, that's a deviation from the thread. I will return. I read a lot reports about the racism against Chinese in many countries. Some cases in Indonesia were the most notorious, and they didn't happen in Japan, I must admit. However, I am definitely for this:
    If you see how lots of them act in other countries in Asia you will understand. If they hate people with brown skins then they may just as well leave southeast asia.

this is not for you, but for them
    Last edited by zebedee; 14th July 2006 at 2:55 PM.

Native language
    Bengali,Hindi,English

Quote Originally Posted by panjabigator
    I just remembered...India invaded East Pakistan/Bangladesh in 1971 during their war of independence against what was West Pakistan....but it was to help the Bangladeshi's.

India never invaded Pakistan first, India was helping the bengalis in East-pakistan for their freedom ,they were not even allowed to talk in their mother tounge bengali,but forced to learn and speak in Urdu,the official language of Westpakistan now Pakistan.Though most of them were muslims pakistani khans never considered the bengali muslims as pure muslims so they butchered them even inside mosques, nearly 3million bengalis (hindus/muslims ) were murdered and 10million fleed to India mainly in Westbengal ,Tripura,Assam.
    The refugee problem was so big to handle that Indira Gandhi then PM of India was trying to convince the international community to force pakistan to stop killing of bengalis and release of Muzibar Raheman the leader of Eastbengal ,who was in Lahore jail.Though he was elected the PM of whole Pakistan ,since he was bengali and the Pak-military was controled by the Punjabi/Urdu speaking muslim they never allowed him to be the PM, insted they put him in jail.

The Pakistanis panicked and wanted to open the western front to reduce the presence of indian military in eastern front ( i.e the eastbengal now bangladesh) and the Pak-airforce attacked most probably the Amritsar base, and thats how the war started.They asked China to open a eastern front but it did not due to USSR, and USA was trying to help Pakistan but before their help came the war was over. In the western front Indian army entered indise Lahore and near Islamabad , but India never took one inch of pakistani land when war was over.

and the war lasted for just few days and pakistani general in eastbengal surrendered with 91000 military personal, which is till now a record.

India never invaded any country to occupy it in its known history 3000yrs or more.
    The reason is, it is the Birth place of "Lord Budha" ," Ashoka" , and "M.K.Gandhi ".....

om shanti..om shanti..om shanti

Native language
    imithe

Quote Originally Posted by capsi
    India never invaded any country to occupy it in its known history 3000yrs or more.
    The reason is, it is the Birth place of "Lord Budha" ," Ashoka" , and "M.K.Gandhi ".....
    That's an unusual statement.
    How would being the birthplace of those people be the 'reason' it never invaded anywhere to occupy it?

What about Sri Lanka?
    "By the middle of the ninth century, the Pandyans had risen to a position of ascendancy in southern India, invaded northern Sri Lanka, and sacked Anuradhapura. The Pandyans demanded an indemnity as a price for their withdrawal."

The threat seems to have been accede to our demands or we occupy?

Native language
    Bengali,Hindi,English

Quote Originally Posted by maxiogee
    That's an unusual statement.
    How would being the birthplace of those people be the 'reason' it never invaded anywhere to occupy it?

What about Sri Lanka?
    "By the middle of the ninth century, the Pandyans had risen to a position of ascendancy in southern India, invaded northern Sri Lanka, and sacked Anuradhapura. The Pandyans demanded an indemnity as a price for their withdrawal."

The threat seems to have been accede to our demands or we occupy?
    well, what i wanted to say that ,socity ,environment ,your way of life
    dictates your thoughts,since indian were by nature much more peaceful ,may be due to their religious beliefe or stable life style (as india is always very much furtile and rich in every thing,thats why every one invaded india) its the birth place of Budhism, Jainism, Hinduism and which in return influence more ppl.

India then in ninth century is not todays India , it included afganisthan,pakistan,bangladesh,even shimhal now srilanka. And whenever there where no strong ruler small kindom appeared with in india and who faught against eachother a lot, as u have given a example.Now if a small local kingdom wanted to expand which happend through out indian history , you can not call it a invasion by India of other countries.

Peninsular India was involved in an eighth-century tripartite power struggle among the Chalukyas (556-757) of Vatapi, the Pallavas (300-888) of Kanchipuram, and the Pandyas (seventh through the tenth centuries) of Madurai. The Chalukya rulers were overthrown by their subordinates, the Rashtrakutas, who ruled from 753 to 973. Although both the Pallava and Pandya kingdoms were enemies, the real struggle for political domination was between the Pallava and Chalukya realms.

this type of fighting was common during all ages of indian history, even during the last period of Mughal Empire and the begining of British rule.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast