Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: Has your country ever invaded other country or been invaded?

Native language
    Spain, Spanish

Re: Has your country ever invaded other country or been invaded?

Quote Originally Posted by atento View Post
    Persians invaded Greece they wanted to expend their country. About Bulgarian i guess you read the reason of the war.
    Greece invaded Persia.
    Greece invaded Bulgaria.

That is the only thing we are discussing in this thread. If Alexander burned Persepolis because Athens had been buried 150 years ago or who should dominate Trace is another subject.
    Only a Spanish speaker. If you need an exact translation, wait for better opinions.

Native language
    Spain, Spanish

Quote Originally Posted by Frank78 View Post
    Fernando: We are talking about states, at least territorial ones. I don't think that Germanic or Indian tribes can be counted as those.
    Agreed. But the lists should be redone. As a matter of fact, NOBODY should have invaded Germany before 1870 (neither Swedes nor Finnish). Ditto for UK before 18th century (unification with Scotland) and so on.

I know you said 'German states' but then you should remove Spain from the invaders: Spanish troops have entered into current German soil in 16th and 17th century. I think they never entered in current Prussia soil. They stayed most of the times in West and South Germany.
    Only a Spanish speaker. If you need an exact translation, wait for better opinions.

Native language
    German

Quote Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
    I know you said 'German states' but then you should remove Spain from the invaders: Spanish troops have entered into current German soil in 16th and 17th century. I think they never entered in current Prussia soil. They stayed most of the times in West and South Germany.
    The definition of what is "Germany" have changed. Certainly and at all times Southern and Western states belonged to it, e.g. Bavaria, Palatinate, etc. Austria until the 1860s. I don't see any problem. Prussia was one of several German states. Those states united more or less freely, they weren't annexed by Prussia. Otherwise the name "Kingdom of Prussia" would have prevailed for entire Germany.
    It is not necessary that whilst I live I live happily; but it is necessary that so long as I live I should live honourably. (Immanuel Kant)

Native language
    Spain, Spanish

Agreed. I only mentioned 'Prussia' as one of the several German states that has maintained somehow the continuity from Middle Ages. My point is that Spanish troops did not invade, e.g., Bavaria (most times they were allies). They did invade Palatinate or Saxony which did not match with a current Land. Correct me if I am wrong.

Native language
    German

Agreed. I only mentioned 'Prussia' as one of the several German states that has maintained somehow the continuity from Middle Ages. My point is that Spanish troops did not invade, e.g., Bavaria (most times they were allies). They did invade Palatinate or Saxony which did not match with a current Land. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Both still exist:
    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renania-Palatinado
    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sajonia

But Prussia does not exist anymore because the Allied believed that it was the "stronghold of militarism"
    It is not necessary that whilst I live I live happily; but it is necessary that so long as I live I should live honourably. (Immanuel Kant)

Native language
    Spain, Spanish

You are right. I tend to identify Brandenburg=Prussia.

Anyhow, the continuity between 17th century Palatinate and Rheinland-Pfalz is problematic.

About Saxony I am always confused on which German state (Sachsen, Niedersachsen or Sachsen-Anhalt is the 'right' heir.

Anyway, I am done. I admit that Spain invaded Germany.

Native language
    Spanish-Navarre

Spain (or was it Castille?) invaded most of Navarre in 1512.

Navarre invaded Albania and Greece in the 14th C. To what end? No idea.
    FAVSTA DIES TIBI ILLVCEAT

Native language
    German

About Saxony I am always confused on which German state (Sachsen, Niedersachsen or Sachsen-Anhalt is the 'right' heir.
    Hehe. I try to enlighten you.

Niedersachen=Lower Saxony: the place where the ancient Saxon tribe was from; later the Electorate of Hanover and some other minor states
    Sachsen-Anhalt: The north belonged to Brandenburg-Prussia (Altmark) and the south to Saxony; later the whole state was Prussian
    Sachsen=Saxony: first Electorate then kingdom when August the strong converted to catholizism to become Polish (and Saxon) King; lost constantly some of their territory over the time

Native language
    Spain, Spanish

Thank you. If there is a poll in the future to change their names to, say, Niederelbe, Anhalt and Dresdenland, let me know.

Native language
    Greek

Greece invaded Persia.
    Greece invaded Bulgaria.

That is the only thing we are discussing in this thread. If Alexander burned Persepolis because Athens had been buried 150 years ago or who should dominate Trace is another subject.
    All started when i said that my country has suffered a lot and some of you tried to prove that my country has done the same to others countries. But when Italians wanted to get my country yes we fight against them. When Bulgarians killed the Greek innocent that was a reason to fight against the enemy. I hate wars i love world peace but you can not blame us. Wouldn t you fight in order to protect your country?

Native language
    Português/ Brasil

Wouldn 't you fight in order to protect your country?
    NO, never! I am a pacifist! War kill innocent lives, so I am against any country invading any other country and killing people, but I'd never be blamed to kill other lives of any nationalty. I have only one nationality: human being.
    Eu quase que nada não sei. Mas desconfio de muita coisa...- Guimarães Rosa

Native language
    Greek Greece

OK let's see:
    Keeping the reasons and justifications aside, right or wrong here's when Greeks either started a war or continued a war or elsehow ended up in territory that was not Greek. Do remember that in many of these invasions I believe that we, the Greeks, were more than just justified in doing so. Hell, in some cases, it hardly counts as an invasion. That doesn't come into it (the list I mean). I am recounting all the times I can think of that Greeks invaded another territory. Since we have a long history this is a rather long list.

Ancient times
    • If we accept there's any truth behind Iliad and the whole Trojan war myth then we invaded that city
    • Any time they created a colony in a non-Greek area (say Massalia/Marseilles). Granted, ancient Greeks did not go for total domination, they just went after the premium port sites. While there's (or I haven't read any) no evidence that they fought for them and for all I know many, if not all, sites may have been unoccupied, I count that as an invasion if we stretch the meaning of the word a bit lot.
    • Spartans invaded the Persian empire during the reign (or co-reign if you wish) of Agesilaus the second.
    • Alexander the Great and pretty much all other Greeks (minus the Spartans) invaded the Persian empire and pretty much everything up to India (he wanted to go further too and it wasn't for a spot of tea either).
    • I don't recall all the wars of the Macedon kings with their neighbors but I'm willing to bet there was some invasion going on there too. Ditto for all other Greeks with foreign neighbors.
    • The events described in Xenophon's Anabasis do not in any possible way constitute an invasion. These guys were mercenaries.
    Then the Romans invaded us and so we can skip ahead to...

Byzantium

Here things get a bit tricky since the Byzantine empire was known throughout its existence as Easter Roman Empire. It started out as pretty much Roman and ended up as pretty much Greek though always multicultural (till almost the end when it had shrunk down to more or less what's today Greece - before shrinking even further).

I don't know if anyone's interested in listing those wars (and, boy, were they plentiful) and if, say Justinian's wars of expansion should be considered Greek invasions or not but I can list them if you wish.

The Ottoman Empire sweeps through pretty much half of Europe and for quite a few centuries there's no independent Greek state. Skipping ahead once more we arrive to...

Modern times
    • Greco-Turkish was of 1897. I know what we invaded (and had our behinds handed to us by the way) was Thessaly but still; it was not part of the Greek state, it was part of the Ottoman Empire.
    • Balkan war I. Invasion of the Ottoman Empire by pretty much all the independent Balkan states.
    • Balkan war ii. Invasion of Bulgaria (by pretty much all the independent Balkan states).
    • Greco-Turkish war of 1919-1922.
    • WWII invasion of Albania.
    I think I listed all of them.
    Last edited by ireney; 23rd October 2011 at 10:12 AM.
    “I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.” ~ Jerome K. Jerome

Native language
    Spain, Spanish

Quote Originally Posted by ireney View Post
    [*]Any time they created a colony in a non-Greek area (say Massalia/Marseilles). Granted, ancient Greeks did not go for total domination, they just went after the premium port sites. While there's (or I haven't read any) no evidence that they fought for them and for all I know many, if not all, sites may have been unoccupied, I count that as an invasion if we stretch the meaning of the word a bit lot.
    Agreed. The Greeks fought against Etrurians and Phoenicians/Carthago, who were not invaded but invasors. Local peoples would ally one or another. Anyhow, I think Magna Graecia was more like an invasion.

Depending on whether you consider Sicilians as Greeks or not, the Sicilian expedition of Alcibiades is an invasion or a civil war.

much all other Greeks (minus the Spartans)

I don't know if anyone's interested in listing those wars (and, boy, were they plentiful) and if, say Justinian's wars of expansion should be considered Greek invasions or not but I can list them if you wish.
    I would not. At least in Justinian times, he ruled the 'Roman Empire'.

Native language
    Greek Greece

Fernado, well, the Sicilian expedition of the Athenians (Alcibiades was recalled if you remember and Nicias took over) was really a civil war since they were going after the Greek colonies of the opposite side and not the indigenous population. How the colonies came to be is another point altogether though

I would agree with you on Justinian's wars. See, that's why I skipped the Byzantine times altogether. While very few would argue that, at that point, the empire was Roman, as we go down the centuries, that multicultural empire becomes more and more "Hellenized". At which point can we call it Greek? Tricky one and, hey, if anyone is interested here's the wikipedia page that lists all the wars (offensive, defensive and somewhere in the middle ones).
    “I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.” ~ Jerome K. Jerome

Native language
    Spain, Spanish

(Alcibiades was recalled if you remember and Nicias took over)
    Of course, agreed. Anyhow, I like to put the blame on Alcibiades.

Native language
    Español - Colombia

Well. Speaking of Latin American countries, a Latin American country has never invaded another really, although there have been disputes over territory, a legacy of old divisions of the former Spanish colonies. In this sense, there are a lot of examples...
    Now while there has not been Latin American invasions as such, at least from they are independent countries, there are some, who speak of the migration of Latin Americans to the USA, and, in general, of people born in developing countries to industrialized countries, as a kind of "invasion" and of that is the way how our countries get even for the domain of those others.
    If migrations can be considered as a kind of invasion, now that's a topic!
    In that vein, there is another kind of invasions, in a figurative sense, of which I would like to talk about: commercial invasions. For example, I would speak of the current invasion of light industrial products "made in china", perhaps across the entire planet.
    And those are really subjects for a cultural discussion!

Please correct my English (but do it with kindness!)
    Last edited by JCA-; 25th October 2011 at 9:04 AM.

Native language
    German

Quote Originally Posted by JCA- View Post
    Well. Speaking of Latin American countries, a Latin American country has never invaded another really, although there have been disputes over territory, a legacy of old divisions of the former Spanish colonies.
    What about the Saltpeter War and the invasion of the Falklands? In the former Bolivia lost a considerable amount of their territory including access to the Pacific.

Native language
    Español - Colombia

Let's see. Well I think that these you mentioned, although they were wars, they were not invasions of one country to another as such. These are these territorial disputes I see as a legacy of the old colonial divisions of the Spanish crown. No point of comparison with the invasions of great empires they were given in the old world, including the invasions of monarchical powers that colonized the Americas after the arrival of Columbus.

Instead you could have mentioned how pre-Hispanic peoples as the Incas, Mayas and Aztecs invaded other peoples weaker many times (see the Inca empire, the Maya or Azteca).

However I think Latin Americans as such we have never had an imperialist mentality, i.e. the mestizos who today inhabit these lands we think very differently. And what can we say about the native peoples of America who persist? they have been invaded always since the fifteenth century up to the present
    Last edited by JCA-; 4th November 2011 at 7:09 AM.

Native language
    Born and raised in Japón, soy japonés

Neil Young sang about it.

Zuma
    If people were meant to pop out of bed in the morning, we'd all sleep in toasters.
    Please correct my Eng.

Native language
    Bulgarian

Throughout its history, my country has invaded and been invaded by all its neighbours (except for the country that calls itself "the Republic of Macedonia", which never needed to be invaded as it never existed until some 20 years ago)

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast