Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Has your country ever invaded other country or been invaded?

Native language
    Italiano

Re: Has your country ever invaded other country or been invaded?

We were the masters of Europe (Roman Empire under Traianus).
    But we were also a people settled in hundreds of cities, counties, states and so on.

Up to the Second World War we got Ethiopia, Somalia, Libya, Eritrea in the Italian colonial empire.

Native language
    France French

Yes, my country was invaded in the 5th century....by my ancestors.
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them....well, I have others." (Groucho Marx).

Native language
    Argentina-español

Quote Originally Posted by coconutpalm
    Nowadays, the political relationship between China and Japan is extremely bad...
    ....As you know, the relationship between Korea and Japan is also bad.
    Coconut, I’m surprised seeing how many “ethnic differences” you have in Asia.
    And surely you’d be also surprised knowing most of my countrymen can’t differentiate Asians and call all people who have Asian appearance as “chino”.

Native language
    Russian, Russia (St Petersburg)

Quote Originally Posted by luis masci
    And surely you’d be also surprised knowing most of my countrymen can’t differentiate Asians and call all people who have Asian appearance as “chino”.
    The same thing with Russians.
    Frankly, it was only at the University that I learned to differentiate Chinese and Korean people...
    Anna

Native language
    Born and raised in Japón, soy japonés

Quote Originally Posted by luis masci
    most of my countrymen can’t differentiate Asians and call all people who have Asian appearance as “chino”.
    By any chance, do you call Indio(native american) chino or chinito?
    If people were meant to pop out of bed in the morning, we'd all sleep in toasters.
    Please correct my Eng.

Native language
    Finland, Finnish

Quote Originally Posted by Etcetera
    Unfortunately, I just have no time for writing a looong answer to this, but I can think right now of a very good (seems to be good, at least!) example.
    It's Russian-Estonian/Latvian relationships.
    The point is that Latvia, Lithuania and Estonis joined the Soviet Union not so deliberately as some other countries do. In fact, in Latvia and Estonia people tend to think that their countries were actually forced into the Soviet Union. So these three countries (Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia) were the first to leave the Union in 1991. But the decades of Soviet reign has left the most bitter feelings, and now Estonia and Latvia don't show much friendliness towards the Russians who still live in these countries.
    I don't know much about the actual situation in Latvia, but a friend of mine lives in Tallinn, and fron her words I know that Estonian government has introduced, for instance, a state exam in Estonian, which is absolutely obligatory...
    Let alone the situation with the so-called Estonian Legion. It's really scary!
    It's good to see (once again) that the present generation in Russia admits that the Soviet Union in fact invaded the Baltic countries at the end of WW2. The only one of these small nations that stayed independent were the Finns. But we had to give an important part of our small country to the largest country of the world. That's why many Finns (more or less hidden) hate or despise the Russians, even if the invasion wasn't a fault of the Russian people but the communist system.
    On the other hand, Finns and Russians had reasonably good relations during the Russian occupation 1809-1917. And we're only a little bit suspicious about the Swedes who kept us under their power for more than six centuries.
    "How many years, or generations, does it take for countries to overcome their history?" I'd say at least four generations, a hundred years, maybe more. An invader can forget sooner, the invaded much later. Some people never forget. Maybe some of them are right, like the Jews.

Native language
    Argentina-español

Quote Originally Posted by almostfreebird
    By any chance, do you call Indio(native american) chino or chinito?
    No, not really. Some people use to call "chinita/chinito" to children. It’s rather a pejorative way to call them. But that have not a real relation with Asian people at all.

Native language

Quote Originally Posted by Hakro
    It's good to see (once again) that the present generation in Russia admits that the Soviet Union in fact invaded the Baltic countries at the end of WW2. The only one of these small nations that stayed independent were the Finns. But we had to give an important part of our small country to the largest country of the world. That's why many Finns (more or less hidden) hate or despise the Russians, even if the invasion wasn't a fault of the Russian people but the communist system.
    On the other hand, Finns and Russians had reasonably good relations during the Russian occupation 1809-1917. And we're only a little bit suspicious about the Swedes who kept us under their power for more than six centuries.
    Hi Hakro,
    you know, I'm actually learning Finnish as my minor. And this Christmas I saw a Finnish film (don't remember it's title, unfortunately) set up at the beginning of the 20th century. I must admit that at first this film seemed to me almost an Anti-Russian one; imagine how surprised I was when - it was by the end of the movie - I realised that in fact it wasn't Anti-Russian! On the contrary, the film was really friendly...

It's so sad to hear that many Finns hate Russians! I'm sure that most Russians don't approve the Soviet policy of expantion. I myself strongly dislike the Communists, and I am sure that the Communist rule didn't do any good for my country - as well as for other countries!
    Anna

Native language
    British English

Evidently, memories of invasion will fade with time - I cannot say I hold a grudge against the French for the Norman Conquest, for example.

Equally, invasions which have happened within the lifetimes of living people, which have not been the subject of apology, must inevitably affect the people of the invaded country, particularly if atrocities were committed (as happens in most conflicts - atrocity perhaps being a subjective word).

So, I do think that Coconutpalm makes a valid point about the Japanese government. The perception, indeed, belief here in Britain is that the Japanese government is behaving insensitively in the extreme about the invasion of China.

Almostfreebird, please do not feel personally offended about this. I, for one, would like to hear your opinion very much. Are you saying that anything has been said that is untrue, either in this post or any other in this thread? Please be assured that nobody wants to argue or fight, but to discuss and to understand.

Native language
    Spain, Spanish

Quote Originally Posted by LV4-26
    Yes, my country was invaded in the 5th century....by my ancestors.
    So, your ancestors have survived Vikings/Normans, English, Frenchs (rest of, of course), and Germans.
    Only a Spanish speaker. If you need an exact translation, wait for better opinions.

Native language
    Finland, Finnish

Quote Originally Posted by Etcetera
    It's so sad to hear that many Finns hate Russians! I'm sure that most Russians don't approve the Soviet policy of expantion. I myself strongly dislike the Communists, and I am sure that the Communist rule didn't do any good for my country - as well as for other countries!
    I wish you understood that the Finns who are against the Russians are in fact against the Soviet Union, not against ordinary Russian people.

Native language
    British English

I understand that Hakro. Just as I know that people after WW2 came to understand that they had been fighting against the Nazis and not ordinary Germans, many of whom settled in this country, having been prisoners of war.

The football matches on Christmas Day during WW1 are one of the most touching examples of the realisation of common humanity during conflict.

Native language
    English, U.S.A.

The US invasion of Mexico in 1848 has definitely created mistrust between Mexicans and Americans.

What is now the US (and belonged to Native Americans) was invaded by settlers from England, France, Spain along with the Dutch and other Western Europeans (if you consider that an "invasion.")

Britain attempted to invade the US in the War of 1812 but ultimately were unable to break through American defences.

Native language

Quote Originally Posted by Hakro
    I wish you understood that the Finns who are against the Russians are in fact against the Soviet Union, not against ordinary Russian people.
    I did understand that. Hope the relationships between our countries will be as friendly as possible.
    Anna

Native language
    US-English

Quote Originally Posted by tonyray
    What is now the US (and belonged to Native Americans) was invaded by settlers from England, France, Spain along with the Dutch and other Western Europeans (if you consider that an "invasion.")
    Yup, I consider that an invasion, considering that it is generally accepted that Native Americans have been on this continent for at least 10,000 years (if not more), as compared to more recent European settlers.

Throughout the last couple of centuries, Native American children were forcibly removed from reservations that tribes had been relocated (sometimes forcibly) to different locations under legislation such as the Indian Removal Act of 1830.

Whether toddlers or teens, they were taken from home and shipped thousands of miles to dreary barracks. Their hair was cut, they were given new names, and each was assigned a number. The United States government began this brutal attempt at social engineering in 1879. Breaking rebellious Indians by indoctrinating their children in Anglo ways was considered a cost-effective alternative to war. But the personal cost to Native Americans was incalculable…

Found here: http://www.civilrightsteaching.org/H...aGraveyard.pdf

Since many former students are still alive & were permanently traumatized, it'll definitely take a while to get over what was done to them.
    If you don't learn from your mistakes, there's no sense making them.

Native language
    Finland, Finnish

Quote Originally Posted by emma42
    Evidently, memories of invasion will fade with time - I cannot say I hold a grudge against the French for the Norman Conquest, for example.

Equally, invasions which have happened within the lifetimes of living people, which have not been the subject of apology, must inevitably affect the people of the invaded country, particularly if atrocities were committed (as happens in most conflicts - atrocity perhaps being a subjective word).

So, I do think that Coconutpalm makes a valid point about the Japanese government. The perception, indeed, belief here in Britain is that the Japanese government is behaving insensitively in the extreme about the invasion of China.
    Dear Emma, as you have lived neither the Norman Conquest in England nor the Japanese Occupation in China, where's the difference? Why do you hold a grudge against the Japanese but not against the French? Please explain!

Native language
    British English

How rude. Kindly point out where I have written that I "hold a grudge" against the Japanese.

Native language
    Spain, Spanish

No rudeness at all. You have suggested there is a difference for the lapse of time passed since 1066 and then you say that Chinese government "has a point". As a matter of fact I agree with your point, but Hakro is neither rude nor is reading too much between the lines.
    Only a Spanish speaker. If you need an exact translation, wait for better opinions.

Native language
    British English

I have made it quite clear that the issue I have with the Japanese government is the lack of an apology,(post 29) let alone reparations. And I consider it up to me whether or not I find another forero rude.

Native language
    Portuguese (Portugal)

Question: have the governments of Germany and Italy ever issued an official apology for World War II?
    Deuparth gwaith yw ei ddechrau.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast