Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Urdu: To spill/To pour

Native language
    Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو

Urdu: To spill/To pour

One can pour some milk into a glass. If one is not careful, it may spill onto the table or onto the floor.

In Urdu, the verb for "To pour" is "unDelnaa". Is there a comparable verb "unDalnaa" for "To spill (accidentally)?

Native language
    Urdu

Re: Urdu: To spill/To pour

spill-ch.halaknaa-چھلکنا.

Native language
    Am. English

How about ڈلنا, which is the intransitive verb?
    Correccions en qualsevol idioma sempre són agraïdes.

Native language

Quote Originally Posted by panjabigator View Post
    How about ڈلنا, which is the intransitive verb?
    Very good suggestion, PG SaaHib. Until today, I was under the (wrong) impression that this was a punjabi verb only, i.e. DulNRaa. However, see what Sauda has to day...

aaNkhoN se paRaa ashk mire Dhultaa hai
    sar kab se tire paa'oN tale rultaa hai
    ai Ghunchah-dahan pyaare Tuk to haNs bol
    kyaa dil hai miraa tuu kih nahiiN khultaa hai

Both verbs appear to very "Punjabiesque"! I would have expected "uNDalnaa" instead of "Dulnaa".

Native language

Are Urdu and Hindi speakers aware of such a verb as "unDalnaa" or even "Dulnaa"?

Native language
    Urdu (Karachi)

^ Both sound unfamiliar to my ears.

Native language
    India - Hindi & English

"Dulnaa" is a common word used in Hindi; besides, as mentioned, "chhalaknaa" also is there for spilling. As far as Hindi is concerned, meanwhile, "uNRelnaa" does not exactly mean "to pour" for me: of course, a pouring action is there, but it's a pouring with some kind of "chhiRaknaa" involved! (Don't know how to explain it better!) For example, in Hindi, one cannot "uNRel doodh gilaas mein" but a "haathii" (elephant) certainly "paani uNReltaa hai apnii sooNRh se".

Native language
    JA- English & Creole

Quote Originally Posted by greatbear View Post
    "uNRelnaa" does not exactly mean "to pour" for me: of course, a pouring action is there, but it's a pouring with some kind of "chhiRaknaa" involved! (Don't know how to explain it better!)
    Pouring with sprinkling involved???? Like naapke unDelnaa... (I hate the uNRelnaa version. Too hard to pronounce)

Native language
    JA- English & Creole

Just wanted to put the definition here from Platts. unDelnaa/uNRelnaa is not just any kind of pouring according to Platts. It is
    H الينڐنا उलेंडना uleṇḍnā [S. ओलण्ड्], v.t. To invert a vessel in order to empty it of its contents; to empty; to pour out (water, &c.=unḍelnā, q.v.).

This is in line with how I've seen it used before. But in common Hindi Daalnaa seems to be prefered for just putting anything into some other thing.

i.e. paanii bartan meN Dal do.

Native language
    India - Hindi & English

^ "uNRelnaa" is also used a lot in "common" Hindi: it's just the action happening should be that of "uNRelnaa". Platts is right here: in the contexts he's talking about, "uNRelnaa" is a far better word than "Daalnaa" (and I doubt if anyone would use the latter word).

Native language

"Daalnaa" is an all purpose verb for putting things in. It does not encompass the manner, which could be "Tapkaanaa", "pheNknaa", "giraanaa" and the like. "unDelnaa" is one such way for putting something (liquid) in a vessel.

My logic is that if we can have "Dalnaa" as the intransitive for "Daalnaa", I am surprised that there does not seem to be "unDalnaa", as in...

chaa'e se bharii piyaalii mez par paRii thii. achaanak us par meraa haath lagaa aur saarii chaa'e "unDal" ga'ii.

Native language
    India - Hindi & English

^ Simply because for me the action itself is not that of "uNRelnaa"! I would say "chaae chhaTak/uNchhal/chhalak gayii".

Meanwhile, "chaa'e se bharii piyaalii mez par paRii thii" looks very odd: one would expect "chaa'e se bharii piyaalii mez par rakhii thii"! Of course, just a pyaalii (which is how I pronounce it, rather than piyaalii) could be "paRii", but filled with tea, it can only be "rakhii" for me.

Native language

In Urdu, the word is "piyaalah", "piyaalii". It might be "pyaalii" in Hindi, in the same manner that Urdu "ziyaadah" has become Hindi "zyaadaa".

Re: paRii vs rakhii, I feel "paRii" is perfectly correct in the sense I have written my sentence but I have no problem with "rakhii".

Native language
    English (UK) & Urdu (Luckhnow), Hindi

Quote Originally Posted by QURESHPOR View Post
    "Daalnaa" is an all purpose verb for putting things in. It does not encompass the manner, which could be "Tapkaanaa", "pheNknaa", "giraanaa" and the like. "unDelnaa" is one such way for putting something (liquid) in a vessel.

My logic is that if we can have "Dalnaa" as the intransitive for "Daalnaa", I am surprised that there does not seem to be "unDalnaa", as in...

chaa'e se bharii piyaalii mez par paRii thii. achaanak us par meraa haath lagaa aur saarii chaa'e "unDal" ga'ii.
    unDalnaa exists! We use it just as in your sentence: chaa'e "unDal" ga'ii = The tea spilled over.

The word chhalaknaa (mentioned above) implies overflow and that too can result in liquids spilling but if we knocked over a half-empty tea cup then we wouldn't obviously say chaa'e chhalak ga'ii! Here we'd say chaa'e unDal ga'ii. We could also use the more general expression chaa'e gir ga'ii but unDalnaa would be more specific than girnaa although the latter is also used quite commonly.
    Utlub al-‘ilm min al-mahd ilal-laHd Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave (Ali ibn Abi Talib)

Native language

Quote Originally Posted by Faylasoof View Post
    unDalnaa exists! We use it just as in your sentence: chaa'e "unDal" ga'ii = The tea spilled over.

The word chhalaknaa (mentioned above) implies overflow and that too can result in liquids spilling but if we knocked over a half-empty tea cup then we wouldn't obviously say chaa'e chhalak ga'ii! Here we'd say chaa'e unDal ga'ii. We could also use the more general expression chaa'e gir ga'ii but unDalnaa would be more specific than girnaa although the latter is also used quite commonly.
    Thank you Faylasoof SaaHib for this confirmation. I am a little surprised however that both BP and UM SaaHibaan have not come across "unDalnaa". I shall now start using it in Urdu without any hesitation!

Native language

Quote Originally Posted by QURESHPOR View Post
    Thank you Faylasoof SaaHib for this confirmation. I am a little surprised however that both BP and UM SaaHibaan have not come across "unDalnaa". I shall now start using it in Urdu without any hesitation!
    It somewhat surprises me too QP SaaHib that they haven't come across / don't use "unDalnaa". We use it regularly and I'd request you to do the same!
    Utlub al-‘ilm min al-mahd ilal-laHd Seek knowledge from the cradle to the grave (Ali ibn Abi Talib)

Native language
    اُردو Urdu

I do use it but I have always believed that I've been influenced by Punjabi! Good to know it is not the case.

Native language

Quote Originally Posted by marrish View Post
    I do use it but I have always believed that I've been influenced by Punjabi! Good to know it is not the case.
    How can you be so certain!? It would be a bonus to find some literary examples.

Native language
    اُردو Urdu

^I will go on search for the literary examples, but the certainty results from the contribution by Faylasoof SaaHib whom I don't suspect of being influenced by Punjabi (Faylasoof SaaHib, do correct me if I am wrong).

Native language

Quote Originally Posted by marrish View Post
    ^I will go on search for the literary examples, but the certainty results from the contribution by Faylasoof SaaHib whom I don't suspect of being influenced by Punjabi (Faylasoof SaaHib, do correct me if I am wrong).
    marrish SaaHib, I've not in any known way been influenced by Punjabi which, generally speaking, doesn't discount a "hidden Punjabi hand" of long ago! However, grammatically it all makes perefect sense - this being a regular form, e.g.
    karnaa / karaanaa / karwaanaa
    khaanaa / khilaanaa / khilwaanaa
    unDalnaa / udDelnaa / unDelwaanaa (have also heard unDalwaanaa!)

Besides in our speech it is common, so we also say:

thharmaas giraa, paanii unD(a)laa !

The thermos fell, the water spiiled!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast