Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Persian: Is there a nasal nuun in poetry?

Native language
    American English

Re: Persian: Is there a nasal nuun in poetry?

If the nasal nuun was present in classical Persian, shouldn't there be examples of it in Steingass' dictionary? Is theof the entry below considered a nasal nuun?

غنبه g̠ẖuṃba, Clamour; reproach, defamation.

Native language
    English (US)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine9 View Post
    If the nasal nuun was present in classical Persian, shouldn't there be examples of it in Steingass' dictionary?
    Not necessarily. He could have ignored it in transliteration, it could have died out by the time he was writing, etc.; there are a number of possible explanations.

Is theof the entry below considered a nasal nuun?

غنبه g̠ẖuṃba, Clamour; reproach, defamation.
    I think this is a different phenomenon than the topic of discussion here. As Steingass notes, nuun or /n/ is realized as [m] before labial consonants, for example [p] or [b]. I believe that is altogether separate from the 'nasal nuun' or 'nuun-e ghonneh' which as we discussed happens when a syllable ends with a long vowel followed by nuun. However, I do wonder if the nuun in a word like رنگ should be described as 'ghonneh' in Persian - it is certainly nasal, as it has been realized as [ŋ] rather than [n] before the velar [g].

Native language
    Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو

Quote Originally Posted by eskandar View Post
    However, I do wonder if the nuun in a word like رنگ should be described as 'ghonneh' in Persian - it is certainly nasal, as it has been realized as [ŋ] rather than [n] before the velar [g].
    I am not conversant with prosody rules but I know from good authority that the "n" in "rang" is reckoned both in Urdu and Persian poetry. In other words, it is not considered a nasal.

Native language
    English (US)

Yes, the 'n' in 'rang' is counted in prosody, but I am talking about the quality of the vowel itself, from a linguistic perspective. The sound is nasal. Though I suppose [n] itself is already nasal in that sense so I don't know why I felt I needed to point that out in my post above.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12