Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WordReference API

Native language
    Arabic

Re: WordReference API

Hi Mike,

I would like to use your API with a drupal website? Do you have any idea how can I retrieve data into my Drupal Views search? Any idea? Thanks in advance!

Native language
    US English

Sorry, I don't know anything about Drupal. If you get something working, let me know and I can tell others.

Mike

Native language
    Arabic

Thanks Mike! I will see and sure I will post it here once I have a clue. Thanks!

Native language
    English

Mike, I'm getting an HTML error page when I try to access the API through my Rails app. The generated page includes the following stack trace:

[ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.Parameter name: input] System.Text.RegularExpressions.Regex.IsMatch(String input) +7823430 ASP._2008_apijson_aspx.Security(String strUA, Boolean bAPI) +251 ASP._2008_apijson_aspx.__Render__control1(HtmlTextWriter __w, Control parameterContainer) +13530 System.Web.UI.Control.RenderChildrenInternal(HtmlTextWriter writer, ICollection children) +131 System.Web.UI.Page.Render(HtmlTextWriter writer) +40 System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5290

Weirdly it works through my browser, though. Any ideas?

Native language
    US English

sirdavidoff, we've made a change to the security that should allow you through. If not, write me through the Contact Us form at the bottom of this page.

Mike

Native language
    English

Thanks for the prompt action Mike, it's working now.

Native language
    UK, English

Hi Mike, just wanted to say thanks for releasing this great API! I'm using it for a new feature for my little vocab quiz (it's mostly for my own use but the occasional visitor stumbles upon it) that will allow people to create their own wordlists to use in the quiz. The new bit is not yet finished; when it is I'll share it on the other thread you have mentioned.

Out of curiosity, do you have any figures for how many words are available in each of the supported languages?
    cheers

Native language
    US English

Hi compton,

Glad you have found the API useful.

Term counts? These counts are constantly changing and I don't keep track. In general, we have over 100k for the English to xx side of the dictionaries and less on the reverse.

Mike

Native language
    UK, English

OK thanks for the info! It really was just a question of curiosity, to get an idea if some languages had bigger dictionaries than others.

Native language
    Portuguese - Brazil

Is it possible search for English word definitions using the WR API?

Native language
    United States--English

Without the use of the API after the appearance of a word in the dictionary, how are we now supposed to know how to pronounce a word that is unfamiliar to us?

Native language
    italian

Quote Originally Posted by talktojp View Post
    Is it possible search for English word definitions using the WR API?
    If you are looking for a thesaurus, you should go checking this link http://www.wordreference.com/docs/api.aspx

In particolar this:

We are happy to announce support for the WordReference English Thesaurus in the API. The URL structure is the same as for all other dictionaries, simply put "/thesaurus/" where you would normally put the four-letter dictionary code.

Native language
    English - USA

Quote Originally Posted by edward1529 View Post
    Without the use of the API after the appearance of a word in the dictionary, how are we now supposed to know how to pronounce a word that is unfamiliar to us?
    I think you might be confusing API with IPA.

The WR application programming interface (API) allows software developers to write code for websites, smartphones, etc. that can access WR dictionary content.

Symbols from the international phonetic alphabet (IPA) serve to document pronunciation. With our recent dictionary changes, we have a new page layout and the IPA symbols in our dictionary entries have moved, but they are still there. In addition, we have recordings of native pronunciation for some words in some languages. For example, at the top of the English->French entry for the word "think," you'll see the following:
    think | | Écouter | US | UK | /θɪŋk/
    IPA symbols are also included on the tab for Collins content, if available.
    Last edited by jann; 28th December 2012 at 3:24 AM. Reason: clarification

Native language
    italian

how am i supposed to get the phonetic through the api? The returned json object does not contain any information about pronunciation. I'm using version 0.8 which is supposed to be the latest version of the api

Native language
    US English

Quote Originally Posted by lboraz View Post
    how am i supposed to get the phonetic through the api?
    I'm sorry, but phonetic information isn't available through the API.

Native language
    Italian

Hi, I'm a Research Fellow of the Italian National Research Council.
    I'm working on a scientific paper for building lexicon using cross lingual approach and i need an automatic translator to validate some results.
    This api works fine for me, but i have a lot of term to translate and limitation of 600 terms per hour is a problem for me.
    is there a way to unlock the limitation of my api key just only for the time to obtain results? I can do an official request from my institution if needed.

best regards

Native language
    US English

Sliver, I'm not sure how good our API would be as an automatic translator. Machine translation would probably be better.

Anyway, write me through the Contact Us link below and I will see what I can do.

Mike

Native language
    Polish

Are definitions for English language words available through the API? I know that thesaurus is supported, but is it possible to retrieve word definitions using the API?

Native language
    English - USA

Welcome _mk_.

I don't believe the English definitions dictionary is supported. Here's what you can read on the API page:
    Additionally, neither form of the API provides support for the English, Spanish, and Italian monolingual dictionaries, [...] Searches made to these dictionaries from the HTML API will return a link to the appropriate page on the main website.
    Here is what Mike (the owner of WordReference) said in post #1 above:
    Quote Originally Posted by mkellogg View Post
    PS. The API only gives access to WordReference's own dictionaries, and not those licensed from Oxford or any other publisher.
    The API is available to access ©WordReference content only... but the English definitions dictionary is licensed from Collins, as mentioned in the copyright statement in small font at the top of every entry (e.g., welcome).

Native language
    Polish

Thank you jann.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast