Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Date format. Writing and reading dates. Good Friday.

Native language
    Korean

Date format. Writing and reading dates. Good Friday.

1. Today is the Good Friday.

2.Today is Good Friday.

I have a hunch that the first sentences is flawed.

We don't say today is the/a Friday.

We say today is Friday.

Your thoughts on the 1 and 2 sentences, please

Native language
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Re: Good Friday

Quote Originally Posted by Oros

2.Today is Good Friday.

We say today is Friday.

Hi Oros,

I'd say "Today is Good Friday"
    and Today is Friday or Today is a Friday

Native language
    Korean

Why don't we say 'Today is the Good Friday' ? I just want to know the fault in having an article?

Native language
    canada, english

I suppose you could use today is the good friday but it would make more sense if u said today is a good friday or today is good friday, it depends if u are talking about the holiday or just saying that today is good.

hope this helps

Native language
    Alberta--TGE (te gato English)

2.Today is Good Friday.

We say today is Friday.

Hi Oros;

'The' is what is called a definite article..and it precedes a specific noun...

Now..If you are refering to ' Good Friday ' as in the Easter holliday....then...
    technically..yes you have to use ' the '..due to the fact that it is required when the noun refers to something that is one of a kind...

If you are only refering to a friday in general then no....

Yet at the same time I agree with Art....I don't say it that way personally..

te gato
    Feel free to correct, but remember I speak Alberta English....
    Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." - Sir Walter Scott
    "Curiosity killed the cat, Satisfaction brought it back!" - English Proverb

Native language
    USA, English

Why don't we say 'Today is the Good Friday' ? I just want to know the fault in having an article?
    We say
    Today is Christmas
    Today is Thanksgiving
    Today is Easter
    Today is Halloween
    Today is Good Friday (in capitals as a sacred holy day, it is considered one thing even though there are two words.)

These holidays do not take an article.
    Exception
    This is the Forth of July (Independence day)

Native language
    USA, English

Quote Originally Posted by te gato
    Hi Oros;

'The' is what is called a definite article..and it precedes a specific noun...

Now..If you are refering to ' Good Friday ' as in the Easter holliday....then...
    technically..yes you have to use ' the '..due to the fact that it is required when the noun refers to something that is one of a kind...

If you are only refering to a friday in general then no....

Yet at the same time I agree with Art....I don't say it that way personally..

te gato
    But would you say today is the Easter? the Christmas?
    I don't, but I'm not sure why.

Native language

Quote Originally Posted by jniec
    But would you say today is the Easter? the Christmas?
    I don't, but I'm not sure why.
    hey jniec;

I was going by the technical rules of grammar...

If I was to say..' today is part of the Easter holidays.'....' We went home for the Christmas holidays.'..yes...
    Yet do I say 'today is the Easter.'...no. ..sounds very strange...even to me...

te gato
    Cats are a mysterious kind of folk. There is more passing in their minds than we are aware of." - Sir Walter Scott

Native language
    Canada, English

There's really no explanation for it except that it's the way it has been done for a long time. It's like how we capitalize day names but not month names.

Native language
    USA, American English

hey jniec;

I was going by the technical rules of grammar...

If I was to say..' today is part of the Easter holidays.'....' We went home for the Christmas holidays.'..yes...
    Yet do I say 'today is the Easter.'...no. ..sounds very strange...even to me...

te gato
    Yes I agree here. It seems that English has taken to dropping the article off of sentences. Except in certain already mentioned situations.

Sweet T.
    Il Riso è La Migliore Medicina!!!

Native language
    Korean

Jeremy wrote the following:

There's really no explanation for it except that it's the way it has been done for a long time. It's like how we capitalize day names but not month names.

It is not correct to say we don' t capitalize month names. We always say today is 26th of March 2005.

[Not 26th of march 2005]

Native language

Jeremy wrote the following:

It is not correct to say we don' t capitalize month names. We always say today is 26th of March 2005.

[Not 26th of march 2005]
    Hey Oros;

No you are correct...We do capitalize the names of months..or at least I do..
    today is..March 26, 2005..
    In all the documents I did we had to have them capitalized.

te gato

Native language
    UK, English

today is..March 26, 2005..
    I've never understood why the month is so important in North America. I would write 26 March 2005 which not only saves typing a comma, it puts each element in decreasing order of frequency of change (for what that's worth). But if I were using the date in a filename I'd do it in reverse: myfile-2005-03-26. That way any other files with similar names get sorted in date order. But I digress...
    Garry

Think like a wise man but communicate in the language of the people - W B Yeats

Native language

Quote Originally Posted by garryknight
    I've never understood why the month is so important in North America. I would write 26 March 2005 which not only saves typing a comma, it puts each element in decreasing order of frequency of change (for what that's worth). But if I were using the date in a filename I'd do it in reverse: myfile-2005-03-26. That way any other files with similar names get sorted in date order. But I digress...
    Hey garryknight;
    I don't know why..
    all I know is that If the legal documents I did were not done like that they were rejected...
    ohhh..rejected documents were not a good thing...

te gato

Native language
    Korean

You don't write bill clinton, do you?

You do write Bill Clintor, don't you?

The reason to capitalize the name of a person is that it comes under the category of proper nouns. It is a rule in English to capitalize proper nouns. So the name of a month, day or year must capitalize. It is incorrect to write 'today is 26th of march 2005'.

The following is from a dictionary:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    proper noun noun [C] SPECIALIZED
    the name of a particular person, place or object that is spelt with a capital letter:
    Examples of proper nouns in English are Joseph, Vienna and the White House

common noun noun [C] SPECIALIZED
    a noun that is the name of a group of similar things, such as 'table' or 'book', and not of a single person, place or thing
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Native language
    England, English

Quote Originally Posted by garryknight
    After the American Revolution, Webster decided that something had to be done to differentiate between American- and British-English. He opted for subtle changes. Principally, this meant spelling changes, e.g. favor (not favour), characterize (not characterise), &c. I suppose the date order could have its root there.
    Or, it could be a practical consideration: by placing a comma they simply remove to need to put an 'of' in. Not that we write 'of' in any case, but...

At the risk of being boring, US passports, American military institutions and most American academic publications use the British method.

Though seemingly trivial, it can and has been the cause of much confusion, especially in business dealings.

Native language
    USA, American English

Quote Originally Posted by Axl
    After the American Revolution, Webster decided that something had to be done to differentiate between American- and British-English. He opted for subtle changes. Principally, this meant spelling changes, e.g. favor (not favour), characterize (not characterise), &c. I suppose the date order could have its root there.
    Or, it could be a practical consideration: by placing a comma they simply remove to need to put an 'of' in. Not that we write 'of' in any case, but...

At the risk of being boring, US passports, American military institutions and most American academic publications use the British method.

Though seemingly trivial, it can and has been the cause of much confusion, especially in business dealings.
    Hey Axl, could you please PM me the reference where you found this info? These things by far fascinate me...evolution/adaptation of language...especially American English. I always wondered how some of those words changed.
    I have found that date order tend to vary depending on the situation. The only times I have seen "of" in a date was for legal purpose (notary public etc.) Can we elaborate more on this??

Many Thanks in Advance,

Sweet T.
    Il Riso è La Migliore Medicina!!!

Native language
    ARGENTINA Sp/Eng

Quote Originally Posted by mzsweeett
    Hey Axl, could you please PM me the reference where you found this info? These things by far fascinate me...evolution/adaptation of language...especially American English. I always wondered how some of those words changed.
    I have found that date order tend to vary depending on the situation. The only times I have seen "of" in a date was for legal purpose (notary public etc.) Can we elaborate more on this??

Many Thanks in Advance,

Sweet T.

Hi T! Could you give me that info as well, when you have it?

Native language
    England, English

Sorry guys, I think I must just have too much spare time. Either that, or I'm a geek. I don't have a clue where I got the information from, but I'm sure there are plenty of books on the subject.

I had a quick browse online & found a couple of sites that might be of some use to you.

I PM'd you both with the three URLS (one book and two websites). I haven't read the book or browsed the sites, & I'm sure there are better ones out there.

Sorry I couldn't be any more help. If I remember/find anything, I'll post it up.

Native language

Quote Originally Posted by mzsweeett

Many Thanks in Advance,

Sweet T.
    Hey mzsweeett;

I can only give you the knowledge I have on the subject.. .
    Yes you are correct...When I had to prepare legal documents...they were prepared with the ' of '..oh! hang on now...actually they were done with both...The documents were started with the 'normal' date format...and the 'of' format was used for the signing part....
    Example:

March 26,2005

Dear Sir/Madam;....(or whom ever)

RE:HOUSE SALE OF MR. JOE BLOW

This is concerning..yadda, yadda..property sale on March 24,2005..yadda, yadda......

This document was signed before me on the ____ day of March, in the year of 2005.....
    yadda, yadda.....

Hope it helps....
    te gato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast