Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: What is racism?

Native language
    Australia English

Re: What is racism?

Quote Originally Posted by jediknight13 View Post
    I had no way to know that you weren't monolingual.
    That's not what you said earlier!

You give away your own monolingualness with this quote here.
    Bibo, ergo sum.

Native language
    Canadian English

Easy there. If you noticed, I was talking about my own country, the USA. So, are you still offended? Didn't think so. Thanks for coming though.
    So it isn't offensive (or doesn't have the potential to be construed as racist) to call monolingual Americans ignorant?

Pardon my ignorance.
    Last edited by Chaska Ñawi; 3rd October 2006 at 6:05 PM. Reason: missing word
    "The trouble with normal is it always gets worse." Bruce Cockburn

Native language
    UK English

In England for example, it is a complete no no to insult black or Asian people, but there seems to be an open house for insulting Italians, Spanish, the French etc. and especially Germans, or for that matter any white person, in particular English.
    This annoys me as well, why the hell IS that the case? Possibly because blacks and asians have had a harder time and the whole slavery thing, but still, racism isn't about blacks, it's about "race" so where is the logic in our culture?

Native language
    imithe

So, you decided to write back in German, huh? Well good thing I'm good with a dictionary. I had no way to know that you weren't monolingual. You should have said something. Your comment about sensitivity was what set me off. Also, insofar as the Chinese only speaking Potonghua in their equivalent to the Senate.. yes I think it's a sign of the beginning of cultural collapse. As we both well know, monolingualism is a sign of ignorance. I know the Romans spoke Greek, but if you are careful, you'll notice that when the Senate was in session, they only allowed Latin to be spoken there. Even delagates from other parts of the empire were not allowed translators.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaska Ñawi View Post
    That statement is sweeping and offensive. Monolingualism is more often a sign of a lack of resources and opportunities, and/or of an insular government.

Monolingual people, like uneducated people, are not by any stretch of the imagination ignorant. Ignorance, as frequently and graphically demonstrated, cuts across all socio-economic boundaries.... as does racism.
    Easy there. If you noticed, I was talking about my own country, the USA.
    Show me where you say that, please as I can't find it anywhere near where you mentioned your country. You only mentioned China and the ancient Romans as I can see.
    In an earlier post you mention that you are from the US, but nowhere do you say that anything you say only applies to the US.

Native language
    imithe

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
    In England for example, it is a complete no no to insult black or Asian people, but there seems to be an open house for insulting Italians, Spanish, the French etc. and especially Germans, or for that matter any white person, in particular English.
    Could that be that (to follow your metaphor of "open house") that before one insults one's guests, it is advisable to welcome them and show them that you mean them no harm?
    Blacks in Britain have been subject to abuse and attack - just for being black - since they started arriving in large numbers. This is not true of other incoming groupings.

Native language
    Australian Australia

So, you decided to write back in German, huh? Well good thing I'm good with a dictionary. I had no way to know that you weren't monolingual. You should have said something. Your comment about sensitivity was what set me off. Also, insofar as the Chinese only speaking Potonghua in their equivalent to the Senate.. yes I think it's a sign of the beginning of cultural collapse. As we both well know, monolingualism is a sign of ignorance. I know the Romans spoke Greek, but if you are careful, you'll notice that when the Senate was in session, they only allowed Latin to be spoken there. Even delagates from other parts of the empire were not allowed translators.
    This post mentions German, Chinese, Greek, Latin and Roman and contains the provocative statement that monolinguism is a sign of ignorance.
    When challenged you stated that you were referring to your own country but I can find no reference to the U.S.A. in the contentious post.
    I am left wondering how monolinguism indicates ignorance.

Native language
    CASTELLANO

Para mí el racismo no sólo es blanco y negro yo pienso que también es hacia la gente que es diferente a los que nosotros creemos es normal, en alguna parte de nuestra vida nosotros hemos tenido un acto de racismo y esto es inevitable.
    Por alguna razón alguna vez rechazamos al raro como comunmente se le denomina.
    Así que creo que debemos de recapacitar más acerca de nuestros actos y tratar de convivir con la gente en paz.
    Aunque yo se que a veces es muy difícil pero lo podemos lograr.

Adios y peace & love.
    GABRIELA FOREVER

Native language
    Kazakhstan

As we both well know, monolingualism is a sign of ignorance.
    I'm not sure if monolingualism is a sign of ignorance but being proud of being monolingual is a sign of blissful ignorance. In that sense, I could say that there are too many Americans who are proud blissful ignorants...

Native language
    UK English

Quote Originally Posted by jediknight13
    As we both well know, monolingualism is a sign of ignorance.
    I don't think that monolingualism is in itself a sign of ignorance. On that basis, bilingualism is also a sign of ignorance... I mean, why only speak 2 languages when you can speak 10 or 20?

Native language
    Australia English

Quote Originally Posted by maxiogee View Post
    Could that be that (to follow your metaphor of "open house") that before one insults one's guests, it is advisable to welcome them and show them that you mean them no harm?
    Blacks in Britain have been subject to abuse and attack - just for being black - since they started arriving in large numbers. This is not true of other incoming groupings.
    Have a chat with some elderly Irish people who lived in England before WW2.
    Irish people were subject to abuse and attack, in part for being Irish, and in part for being Roman Catholic - those two traits being seen as almost interchangeable, and synonyms for disloyalty.

I don't know how the Germans could qualify as guests, and thus insultable. Demonisation of the Hun dates back to WW1.
    Bibo, ergo sum.

Native language
    Greek Greece

I am sorry, let me get this straight:

a)If the Romans spoke Greek in their Senate as well as Latin that would make a difference?

b) The fact that they didn't speak Greek in their Senate didn't make them monolingual.

c) So in the Greek Parliament for instance members of the Parliament should also speak in any other of the languages they know?

d) Would you define ignorance please as pertaining to the Romans? I can agree with calling them snobbish, chauvinists, biggotted and any other term of modern word we wish to super-impose to an ancient civilisation, but I'd say that, as far as ignorance goes, the way I personally understand the word, most "delagates from other parts of the empire" had more chances to being ignorant than the Senators even if they also spoke Latin.

e) The cultural collapse of the Roman Empire is due to the fact that they only allowed Latin to be spoken in the Senate?
    “I like work: it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.” ~ Jerome K. Jerome

Native language
    UK English

Quote Originally Posted by Brioche View Post
    in part for being Irish, and in part for being Roman Catholic - those two traits being seen as almost interchangeable, and synonyms for disloyalty.
    A bit off-topic but...
    I disagree with that because there were already millions of Catholics in England by the time of WWII, most of whom wouldn't have been considered Irish (or considered themselves as Irish) just because of being RC.
    I'm basing that on what my grandparents have told me.

Native language
    Canadian English

I have roped and hogtied our original topic, which was romping all over the back forty, and now present it for our perusal.

What is racism to you?
    "The trouble with normal is it always gets worse." Bruce Cockburn

Native language
    imithe

Have a chat with some elderly Irish people who lived in England before WW2.
    No need to, I gtrew up amongst them.
    The abuse of the Irish neither was vicious nor as random as that meted out to blacks. My brother in the late 60s was able to see boarding houses in London with "No Irish, No Blacks, No Dogs" in their windows - that was just bigotry. The Irish who had worked "the navigations" and the railways in times gone by weren't as looked down upon. However, he had no problems speaking with an Irish accent when out, or at work. Neither did my mother (nor any of her siblings) in her time in England before and during the Second World War. Both my parents-in-law lived and worked in England in the same period, and after it, and with no malice or enmity making itself known.

And, it was partly as you say due to their Roman Catholicism that the Irish were reviled. Britain's dreadful relationship with Roman Catholicism is a story all to itself.

I don't know how the Germans could qualify as guests, and thus insultable. Demonisation of the Hun dates back to WW1.
    They were adored when Albert were a lad! and had been all the rage when the Georges were rampantly regnant! Remember them, the Hanoverians - they led into the Saxe-Coburg Gothas, who magically became the Brown-Windsors!

Native language
    EEUU-inglés

Quote Originally Posted by Everness View Post
    I'm not sure if monolingualism is a sign of ignorance but being proud of being monolingual is a sign of blissful ignorance. In that sense, I could say that there are too many Americans who are proud blissful ignorants...
    You could say it, but you must hang with a very strange crew of friends and associates if you come across such an attitude.

This is yet another attempt at either provocation or plain bigotry, and it is absurd to make such a sweeping generalization.

You could say it? Why equivocate so much? I am absolutely sure that monolingualism is not a sign of ignorance. It also has nothing to do with racism.

Produce a witness or two who proclaims pride in monolingualism, from among those you keep company with, or from anywhere else. Then connect the dots from such rare declarations of pride in monolingualism to your own definition of racism.

In my many decades of travel around the US, living and working among people of all economic, social, racial, and ethnic groups, I have never heard a single individual declare pride in monolingualism. To the contrary, I have heard many monolingual Americans state that they wish they could speak other languages. That's even true in Boston, for crying out loud!

I guess I just need to get out more, and find the card-carrying members of the "I'm proud to be monolingual, therefore I'm a racist" club.
    That mod mods best that mods least...with apologies to Th. Jefferson.

Native language
    Australian Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Chaska Ñawi View Post
    I have roped and hogtied our original topic, which was romping all over the back forty, and now present it for our perusal.

What is racism to you?
    Racism is the most extreme form of stupid ignorance possible in the human species.

Native language
    imithe

Quote Originally Posted by .,, View Post
    Racism is the most extreme form of stupid ignorance possible in the human species.

Tosh sirrah, what you describe there is re-marriage!

Racism is when someone, feeling sh*tty about their lot in life, determines to find some group of people to whom to look as the source of all their troubles. These people need to be identifiable as a group, and politically less powerful than the offender, making it easy to "get away with" the offence.

Native language
    English (UK) New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by maxiogee View Post
    Tosh sirrah, what you describe there is re-marriage!

Racism is when someone, feeling sh*tty about their lot in life, determines to find some group of people to whom to look as the source of all their troubles. These people need to be identifiable as a group, and politically less powerful than the offender, making it easy to "get away with" the offence.
    Re-marriage, the triumph of hope over experience!

Absolutely. I used to teach Asians and there's a lot of racism against them in NZ right now, I have had girl students in tears about it in my office..

Also, there's the old anti-Muslim thing, and the fact that some tossers can't tell Muslims from Sikhs, sigh.. Not that bashing either group is acceptable!
    "I'm just a mouth on legs." Tegan Jovanka, Doctor Who.

Native language
    English

Quote Originally Posted by .,, View Post
    Thanks for the congratulations.
    This is a most confusing post and I am not sure which way to understand your mind on this matter.

That is because you are associating "ethnicity" with culture.
    Introduzca su firma aquí

Native language
    Chicago English

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    That is because you are associating "ethnicity" with culture.
    What's wrong with associating "ethnicity" with culture, especially if it's done without stereotyping?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast