Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Killing time?

Native language
    Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)

Re: Killing time?

Of course what happens is, that in Japanese there are verbs that can even have 13 different meanings. Tsubusu will change its meaning depending on context.

For instance:

事件は彼女の面目をつぶした. jiken wa kanojo no menboku wo tsubushita. The scandal brought her to shame. lit: as regard to the scandal/event her reputation was crushed.

Tsubusu can also mean ''to put paid to'' when it comes to plans and wishes. And also ''to wash out'' talking about rain and storms.
    Last edited by 涼宮; 28th November 2011 at 12:46 AM. Reason: more info
    Username: Suzumiya. 所詮この世は弱肉強食。強ければ生き、弱ければ死ぬ。-志々雄真実

Native language
    Belgium, Dutch

I see... I did not realize those verbs could have that broad meanings. Thanks !

Native language
    Human Language

What's important to ask here is if these expressions were simultaneously developped in different languages or originally an expression of a particular language(French or English) that spread to others.
    For example the Japanese word 時間 is a modern word so it couldn't predate the European equivalents of this expression.
    Although there is the expression 暇つぶし where 暇 is like "spare time."
    Also in Korean we say 시간때우기 or literally "filling up, making up for" time but we also use the English word 타임킬링(time killing).
    So it's highly likely that for non-European languages like Hebrew or Turkish to have adopted the expression from French or English.
    My theory is that most of these expressions are directly from the French one which we see from 1504( http://www.expressio.fr/expressions/tuer-le-temps.php ) or from the English one which is attested in 1728 ( http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=kill ), probably from French.

Native language
    Belgium, Dutch

Interesting theory, and not implausible. It might be true indeed that even metaphors, or well, expressions, are copied.

In fact all the questions I am asking very often have to do with metaphors, and seeing whether they are different - supposing they might betray aspects of a different worldview.

Native language
    ucraniano

In Ukrainian:
    губити, загубити, згубити час /huby'ty, zahuby'ty, zhuby'ty chas/ it is vain to expend
    струювати час /stru'yuvaty chas/ approximately to destroy

Native language
    Greek

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasK View Post
    I had not, believe it or not, I just thought of a parellel as the metaphor seems to imply some resemblance between time and with a wild animal (or god ?). But I am not so sure I understand you well: "Kronos" (time) is not to be equated to "Chronos" (the god)? Sorry, if I am mistaken.
    I apologise for not responding earlier, I honestly, did not see your reply!
    «Κρόνος» ('kronos) is the god, or rather, the father of the ancient Greek gods who devoured his children (in Latin, Cronus).
    «Χρόνος» ('xronos or chronus) is time, who-according to Aristotle-like «Κρόνος» devours people.
    Les Grecs sont étonnants dans l'adversité - François Pouqueville

Native language
    Belgium, Dutch

No problem, Apmoy. So there is no link between the two, they are quite different, aren't they? I simply thought the god symbolised time, the way Apollo can be said to stand for reason.

Native language
    Hungarian

Czech zabít čas (killing time)
    [ɒkinɛk humorɒ vɒn, mindɛnˤtud, ɒkinɛk niŋʧ, mindɛnrɛ ke.pɛʃ]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12