Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: go ask / go to ask / go and ask | I'll < go/ go to/ go and>

Native language
    Chinese

Re: go; go to

I tried corpora myself(I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly)
    UK: BNC US: COCA
    go ask 3 176
    go to ask 4 7
    go and ask 81 54

Interesting enough... I "borrowed" this table from you, Cagey. (I wonder if such thing is called a table? Sounds strange!)

Native language
    English - US

You are using it correctly, I think. You got more results by leaving off the pronoun. I included the pronoun to be certain I was seeing the same construction, but I am not certain that was necessary.

Yes, it is a 'table'. When you click the "Go Advanced" link below the 'Quick Reply' box, you are given the option to create a table, (in case you were wondering.)

Native language
    Chinese

Quote Originally Posted by Cagey View Post
    You are using it correctly, I think. You got more results by leaving off the pronoun. I included the pronoun to be certain I was seeing the same construction, but I am not certain that was necessary.

Yes, it is a 'table'. When you click the "Go Advanced" link below the 'Quick Reply' box, you are given the option to create a table, (in case you were wondering.)
    Thank you!

Native language
    British English

Quote Originally Posted by Stieizc View Post
    I tried corpora myself(I'm not sure if I'm using it correctly)
    Just one point - read through the results. One of the go to ask entries is go to ASK, where ASK is an organisation, not the verb.

Native language
    UK, English

In BE "go and ask him" is more common than "go to ask him" because it suggests that you will go and that you will ask him. "Go to ask him" tells us only the reason for going, without saying whether the asking takes place. I find it natural to say, "I went to ask him, but he wasn't there". But I'd use "go to ask" only in cases of this kind. As an imperative I would always say "go and ask".

Native language
    ইংরেজি - আমেরিক

Quote Originally Posted by Einstein View Post
    I went to ask him...
    It is interesting that in past tense, it sounds completely natural.

Native language
    Chinese

Quote Originally Posted by Andygc View Post
    Just one point - read through the results. One of the go to ask entries is go to ASK, where ASK is an organisation, not the verb.
    That's easy to neglect. But I think there can't be too many cases like this. Still I have to be more careful.

Native language
    Mandarin

go to do/go and do/go do

Hi, friends,
    I’m having a hard time distinguishing these usages. What’s the difference? Which one is correct/incorrect?

For example, should I say:
    1. I’ll go check the book.
    2. I’ll go to check the book.
    3. I’ll go and check the book.

Any AE / BE preference?

<< Moderator's note: Merged with previous thread. >>
    Last edited by Cagey; 14th August 2012 at 6:45 PM. Reason: << Merge threads. >>
    Correct my Chinglish please!

Native language
    English (Midlands UK)

Re: go to do/go and do/go do

In British English, 3 sounds best and 2 is simply wrong.

However, that doesn't mean that "go to check" is wrong in all tenses. "He went to check the book... (but got lost on the way)" is possible, but such a failure to succeed isn't possible in the first-person future.

Native language
    British English

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Bradford View Post
    ... and 2 is simply wrong.
    What???? I'll go to check the book. What on Earth is wrong about that? It is a perfectly normal and grammatical use of the infinitive.

Native language
    English - US

They all sound fine to me and mean pretty much the same thing. Whatever differences there are between them are in emphasis only and are in any case so minor that I doubt if I could explain them even to myself.

And I agree that "I'll go to check the book" is fine. I can't even imagine what might be wrong with it. There, at least, the emphasis is fairly easy to explain: This structure would be used if there was a specific book known to both the speaker and his listeners that needed to be checked and if the speaker needed to go somewhere - to the library, to another room - to check it.

Edit: Upon reading the three examples again, I'm going to retract "the emphasis is fairly easy to explain" regarding sentence #2 - because it's not. I was wrong about that. So I'm going back to my earlier statement that the differences are so slight that they're almost impossible to explain.
    Last edited by JustKate; 13th August 2012 at 3:55 PM.
    "If you take hyphens seriously, you will surely go mad" - Oxford University Press style manual

Native language
    English - England

I don't hear "I'll go check the book" from BrE speakers and I don't use it.
    It's the short words that get you.

Native language
    American English

I'd say "go and [another verb]" is, in many cases, informal/colloquial in AmerEng, although as the last comment suggests, it may not be in Brit. To be honest, it drives me a bit crazy, but I get there rather easily.

In a sentence like, "I'll go and be there if you need me," it seems more necessary.

I found one reference to this issue.
    "When you are speaking for truth, and when you are speaking for justice, no one can defeat you." — Malala Yousafzai

Native language
    English (Midlands UK)

Quote Originally Posted by sound shift View Post
    I don't hear "I'll go check the book" from BrE speakers and I don't use it.

When I hear "go to" I often feel there is a sense of failure. E.g: "He went to open the door, but before he got there..." or "He went to kiss her but she turned away." This is not always the case: "He went to help the injured in the Japanese earthquake."

However, I can't say I've heard it used in the first person future. Don't know why, just not.

Is "I'll go and + verb" colloquial in BE? Well, obviously, as it uses the abbreviated 'll. But not at all incorrect.

Native language
    Italian

Go catch a bus/Go to catch a bus

I heard "I've gotta go catch a bus" in a TV series on DVD.
    I checked the subtitles.

Shouldn't it be "I've gotta go to catch a bus"?

Native language
    English - South-East England

Re: Go catch a bus/Go to catch a bus

'Go' + verb is colloquial and common in AmE, less common in BrE, where I'd always say 'go and catch'. The word 'to' more strongly indicates purpose: 'I've got to go to catch a bus' means "I've got to go in order to catch a bus (for the purpose of catching a bus)", whereas 'go (and) catch' is more like just the two things: leave here, and catch the bus. 'Go (and) catch' is much more likely than 'go to catch'.

Native language
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese

Re: go ask / go to ask / go and ask | I'll < go/ go to/ go and> check

Mod note: I have merged Babbit's thread (beginning with post 35) with an earlier thread concerning the options: go and <verb>, go to <verb> and go <verb>.​ Please read above for some very interesting comments.
    Connection is all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12