Thread: auf dem Garagendach / auf dem Dach der Garage

Native language
    Romanian

auf dem Garagendach / auf dem Dach der Garage

Hello, again! Is it possible to say, based on the second phrase: "Dort sitzt eine Katze auf dem dach der Garage"?
    Similarly, based on the first phrase, can we rephrase the second as: "das Weltdach"

Here are the two phrases:
    1. Dort sitzt eine Katze auf dem Garagendach. = ... on the roof of the garage
    2. das Dach der Welt = the world's roof

Please clarify if there is any change in meaning, in case the rephrasing is possible. I'm in the beginning and have lots of curiosities, as you see. Thank you for all your patience and good day!
    Anna
    Last edited by AnnaJDT; 20th August 2012 at 9:47 AM.

Native language
    German, Germany

Re: "auf dem Garagendach" vs " auf dem dach der Garage"

Hi,usually "Garagendach" and "Dach der Garage" have the same meaning.

There may be context where it is different.

Ich habe ein Garagendach verwendet, um einen Unterstand zu bauen. (Here the special part/element sold for usage as "Garagendach" but not used as such. This is usually not possible for "Dach der Garage".

Dach der Garage
    is a special single roof of a special garage. It is connected to its garage.

"Garagendach" ist either the same or the name of a part/element.

I hope it was clear enough.

In German:
    Normalerweise sind es Synonyme.
    Bei speziellem Kontext kann Garagendach ein Bauteil bedeuten, das noch nicht auf einer Garage ist oder auch zweckentfremdet verwendet wird.
    Das Dach der Garage ist ein spezielles Garagendach, das fest mit seiner Garage verbunden ist oder wird (wenn die Garage noch im Bau ist).
    Last edited by Hutschi; 20th August 2012 at 10:45 AM.

Native language
    Romanian

Thank you, Hutschi!
    And by the same rules, I presume it is correct to say "das Weltdach"? It sounds a little bit strange to me, but then again, I haven't developed a good intuition of this language yet. Hopefully will do so in the future.

Great explanation!
    Your example means "I used a garage roof to build a shelter", so you used the compound word ("Garagendach"), because the other version ("Dach der Garage") is more specific/special, whereas the shelter can be built with a/any garage roof.

Native language
    German, Germany

Das Weltdach (roof of the world) is a single metaphor, but often it is called "Dach der Welt". It is not sold, and so the second meaning is not used. But "Weltdach" may also be "Weltendach" with "en" included just for better sound.

There is also "Welldach" meaning a roof with "Wellblech" (corrugated iron in the form of waves) or Wellplatten (corrugated plates in the form of waves)

There is a movie "Die Katze auf dem heißen Blechdach" and here it indicates the material.
    Last edited by Hutschi; 20th August 2012 at 12:21 PM.

Native language
    German (Germany)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaJDT View Post
    Your example means "I used a garage roof to build a shelter", so you used the compound word ("Garagendach"), because the other version ("Dach der Garage") is more specific/special, whereas the shelter can be built with a/any garage roof.
    The issue is that the genitive carries a definite article and this means you are talking about a specific garage and not about any garage. You can also say "Dach einer Garage" (indefinite article) but this also carries connotations (it emphasizes that it is any garage or an unknown garage). You cannot use a genitive attribute completely without article which you would want to do, if you want neither to imply that it is a special garage nor that it isn't. This is where the alternative Garagendach comes in handy.