Thread: 4,5 миллиона киловатт

Native language
    Chinese

4,5 миллиона киловатт

Hello,

can anybody please tell me why is "киловатт" used here instead of the genitive plural "киловаттов"? On what grammatical rule is this usage based?

Thank you.

Native language
    Русский

Re: 4,5 миллиона киловатт

There's no grammatical rule which can explain anything of this kind. Sometimes a noun in the genitive plural is exactly the same as in the nominative singular. Один (1) человек - пять (5) человек. All you can do is to try to memorize all these forms for loads of words.
    Дай досмотреть, как умирает день. Как его сердце в океане тонет... (Дельфин, Sunset)

Native language
    Chinese

Thank you for your explanation, which, however, does not convince me. The genitive plural of "kilovatt" is by no means the same as its nominative singular (as I said in the original post, it is "kilovattov"). I think the word used here cannot be a genitive plural. Anyway, many thanks.

Native language
    Russian

Quote Originally Posted by Dolokhov View Post
    The genitive plural of "kilovatt" is by no means the same as its nominative singular (as I said in the original post, it is "kilovattov"). I think the word used here cannot be a genitive plural.
    Oh, but it is. In many cases like this there are two Gen. Plurals though, and nobody's sure which one to use, myself included.

Native language
    Russian/Moscow

...У существительных мужского рода в родительном падеже во множественном числе наряду с основным окончанием -ов (-ев) наблюдается вариантное нулевое окончание у существительных, обозначающих:

• единицы измерения (пять ампер, сто киловатт, тысяча рентген),...
      http://yarus.aspu.ru/?id=423

Native language
    Russian

Родительный падеж на -ов у единиц измерения - устарелый или устаревающий вариант (там, где вообще есть варианты, конечно; метры и ньютоны, например, - без вариантов).

Native language
    Chinese

Now I see that there are more than one plurals for some nouns. But the dictionary I used only showed the -ov ended one. I'm sorry for the carelessness of my previous reply. Thank you for the clarification.

Native language
    Russian

Quote Originally Posted by Dolokhov View Post
    Now I see that there are more than one plurals for some nouns. But the dictionary I used only showed the -ov ended one. I'm sorry for the carelessness of my previous reply. Thank you for the clarification.
    Try this one.