Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: peegierostwo

Native language
    Polish

Re: peegierostwo

In my opinion it shouldn't be peegierowstwo but pegie(e)rostwo.

For the record, just because a word can be offensive doesn't mean it was in the particular situation.

Native language
    Polish

Quote Originally Posted by R.O View Post
    In my opinion it shouldn't be peegierowstwo but pegie(e)rostwo.

For the record, just because a word can be offensive doesn't mean it was in the particular situation.
    You're right, but this has already been signalized.

Native language
    Polish

I see. It must've gone unnoticed for me.

Native language
    Polish

I can't conceive of a situation in which it would not be used to offend someone, unless we're talking about a light-hearted banter between friends. But the two people have to be on friendly terms and know each other very well -- otherwise, it's extremely offensive to me, just like calling somebody a 'wieśniak'.
    Last edited by dreamlike; 14th January 2013 at 2:03 PM.

Native language
    Polish

I'm afraid life is a little more complicated than that.

Native language
    Polish

I'm afraid life is a little more complicated than that.
    Yeah, life is a complicated affair, no doubt about that. Which does not change the fact that the word under discussion is a highly disparaging one, and I suppose that most of the time it's used as such.

See words like: pospólstwo, tałatajstwo, szubrawstwo

Native language
    Polish

I don't doubt that. What I wanted to convey is that arbitration of arguments or misunderstandings based on opinions of a few Polish native speakers on the given word is not a good idea. You need to know much more than merely the definition. For all we know it might be someone's job at stake. That's how I see it.

Native language
    Polish

If someone's job might be on the line, then futher context would not go amiss, that much is true, but it's rather unlikely that the word has been used jocularly. Anyway, the OP seemed happy with the answers, so I don't know whether he or she will ever turn up again.

Native language
    Polish

The thing is further context might be unobtainable unless those two hapless chaps come forward and explain what it was all about. I'm sure most of us have had altercations which looked completely different at the beginning and at the end.

Native language
    Polish

Truth be told, having read the OP's explanation from post #4, I don't think more context is warranted. Clearly, the two work-mates were on bad terms with each other, one of them feeling offended by being called the very 'pegieerostwo'.

I have a grievance to do at work between 2 Polsih workers, the one who has put the grievance in says that he is deeply offended by been called a "farmer" or "villiage idiot" which he says "peegierostwo" means to him, the 2 workers don't get on with each other and I want to do right by both workers, he says he is from a small villiage in Poland does he have a good reason to be deeply offended by the remark?

Native language
    Polish

I see. It must've gone unnoticed for me.
    If you reread posts #5 to #17 you will find it in 6 postings.

Native language
    Polish

Maybe it's life experience, maybe not, but I wouldn't so readily take it for granted what one person says something about other people. I know situations in which parents don't know the true relationships between their own children let alone an employer. The.information the OP provided us with may not be completely true.

Native language
    Polish

Maybe it's life experience, maybe not, but I wouldn't so readily take it for granted what one person says something about other people. I know situations in which parents don't know the true relationships between their own children let alone an employer. The.information the OP provided us with may not be completely true.
    You're right. In any case, there's no telling whether it was completely true or not, and since the OP is rather unlikely to contribute to the thread again, I suggest that we just give it a rest. No need to split hairs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12