Thread: Mathematical symbol as simple predicate

Native language
    English / USA

Mathematical symbol as simple predicate

I just answered three or four other threads. Please help me.

I am translating a paper about a general physics question. I am not very familiar with physics other than the historical perspective and I am requesting some help with the grammar. I have a sentence that translates perfectly from the original Spanish as follows:

“At the moment of t1 at which both objects reach the ground, y1(t1)=y2(t1)=0.”

In English, a complete sentence requires a subject and a predicate. In the above sentence, the subject would be “y1(t1)”, which I guess I don´t have a problem with. My query is regarding the simple predicate, which in this case would be “=”. All of the English words in this sentence amount to prepositional phrases.

Is this standard use of language in scientific documents in English? Should I change the sentence to read something like, “The formula y1(t1)=y2(t1)=0 is satisfied at the moment…”?

Native language
    Eng(Canada)

Re: Mathematical symbol as simple predicate

I would reword it like this:

At time t1 (or "At t=t1" if you prefer), both objects reach the ground,
    so y1(t1) = y2(t1) = 0.

I'm not sure about all the subject and predicated parts. I suppose you could spell out the word "equals".
    A man who begins with certainties will end in doubts. A man who begins with doubts will end in certainties.