Thread: Bold for new unread posts: stays bold even when read

Native language
    English (BrE)

Bold for new unread posts: stays bold even when read

I guess this is one for Mike, but first I wonder whether others are seeing the same as I am.

Having the titles of unread posts in bold, in each forum's home page and in 'My Threads', is a very useful feature. However I've noticed (only today) that they remain bold even after I've read them. I've tried refreshing the page, exiting and reentering the page, closing and reopening WR, emptying my browser cache ... but nothing cures it: they stay bold.

That's using Google Chrome.

I also have IE8, which behaves differently: the titles are unbolded after reading . Unfortunately, if I close the browser, then reopen it and reopen WR, the ones I've read are once again in bold.

It's not the end of the world (nor, I suppose, anything to do with the Maya calendar!), but it's niggling as I find myself opening posts that I've already read.

Ws
    The answer is 42

Native language
    English - USA

Re: Bold for new unread posts: stays bold even when read

The bolding has never been consistent. It usually works, but every once in a while, it doesn't. For me on FireFox, this issue crops up more frequently with thread titles staying bold in my subscriptions list even after I have read them -- or appearing unbold even though I've only just signed in and haven't read them -- but it can also happen on occasion with a few of the threads on page 1 of a given forum. Usually "reading" those threads a second time debolds them for me. I have never been able to figure out a pattern to explain or predict when this happens, and without a reproducible issue, it's very difficult to report a bug to vBulletin.

One thing: if the moderators "bump" a thread to promote it to the top of the forum (i.e., because it was originally posted in the wrong place, and consequently went unanswered, and would be buried on page 8 now that it has been moved to the right place) then that thread title will remain bold for a while (perhaps until your next log in?), regardless of how many times you read the thread.

Native language
    English (BrE)

Re: Bold for new unread posts: stays bold even when read

Thanks for that feedback, jann. I'll just put it down to vBulletin having a bad-hair day (or week).

I have noticed, though, that a good night's sleep seems to fix it, at least retrospectively. All of yesterday's now appear unbold; only today's are playing up.

Ws
    The answer is 42