Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: I didn't know he was/is a marine

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Native language
    chinese
    Posts
    44

    I didn't know he was/is a marine

    Hi all. Please help me with this. Imagine I see someone on a street and he says that his son is a marine. Which one of the following sentences is grammatically correct for my response:

    1) I didn't know he was a marine.
    or
    2) I didn't know he is a marine.

    And another scenario: I just saw the news regarding kangaroos and I turn to my friend and say the following sentence. Which one is correct:

    1) I didn't know that a kangaroo licked its limb was a sign of stress. (as like in a reported speech)
    or
    2) I didn't know that a kangaroo licked its limb is a sign of stress. (as this is a general behaviour of a kangaroo in distress)

    Please explain your answer as I am confused. When do <you> use a past tense, was, when someone or something is still happening/existing? How about reported speech where it uses the past tense to report something that is still happening or still as it is? Please explain to me and give me some examples to help me understand this. Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Copyright; 8th January 2013 at 2:52 AM. Reason: Please spell out "u" -- we don't use chatspeak on the forum.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Native language
    British English
    Posts
    34,373

    Re: I didn't know he was/is a marine

    These are the facts as I see them.

    1) I didn't know he was a marine.

    1)' I didn't know that when a kangaroo licked its limb it was a sign of stress.

    1)'' I didn't know thata kangaroo licking its limb was a sign of stress.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North Kingstown, Rhode Island
    Native language
    American English
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,790

    Re: I didn't know he was/is a marine

    I think if the first verb is past tense (did know), the second one should be past as well (was). Since this is a negative form of the simple past tense (didn't know), it's more complicated. (Sorry, but I'm not sure how.)

    Here's a past thread that mey be helpful: didn't know... was/is

    Of course, once a marine, always a marine. ☺

    cross-posted
    "When you are speaking for truth, and when you are speaking for justice, no one can defeat you." — Malala Yousafzai

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    England
    Native language
    English - England
    Posts
    14,285

    Re: I didn't know he was/is a marine

    Quote Originally Posted by iamconfused View Post
    Hi all. Please help me with this. Imagine I see someone on a street and he says that his son is a marine. Which one of the following sentences is grammatically correct for my response:

    1) I didn't know he was a marine.
    or
    2) I didn't know he is a marine.

    ...
    There is some justification for considering (2) to be correct but I would always choose (1)

    A. The sentence "I didn't know he was a marine until you told me" requires it.

    B. Even though you told me 5 minutes ago, it is possible that he has ceased to be a marine in the mean time.
    If you think that, you have another think coming!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    England
    Native language
    English - England
    Posts
    14,285

    Re: I didn't know he was/is a marine

    Quote Originally Posted by gramman View Post
    ...
    Of course, once a marine, always a marine. ☺
    ...
    Haha! Yes there is always that!
    If you think that, you have another think coming!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Native language
    chinese
    Posts
    44

    Re: I didn't know he was/is a marine

    Quote Originally Posted by Beryl from Northallerton View Post
    These are the facts as I see them.

    1) I didn't know he was a marine.

    1)' I didn't know that when a kangaroo licked its limb it was a sign of stress.

    1)'' I didn't know thata kangaroo licking its limb was a sign of stress.

    Firstly, thank you all for responding.

    Hi Beryl, Could you please explain why you chose the above answers? No offense but I just need some explanation to understand how to apply it in future. Why is the sentence "I didn't know he is a marine" not acceptable or correct as he is presently still a marine. As for the second sentence "I didn't know that when a kangaroo licked its limb it was a sign of stress", can it be present tense "is" as this is a general fact about kangaroos? Please advise me. You could show me some examples. That could help me a lot. Thank you.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North Kingstown, Rhode Island
    Native language
    American English
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,790

    Re: I didn't know he was/is a marine

    >>No offense but I just need some explanation to understand how to apply it in future.

    I have a feeling future is more complicated, so first try to get a handle on past.

    I looked around because I admit I didn't think my first response was very helpful. What I found was somewhat disheartening. There's all this stuff about what the speaker knows at the moment he says it and what is true now and what may be true but could possibly be false and …

    I can get along in English pretty well in my sleep, but my head just spins when I try to understand all this. So let me try just repeating what I said before:

    if the first verb is past tense, the second one should be past as well

    This seems to apply to both military service and nervous kangaroos. You should be okay using this rule. I suggest slowly wading into the exciting world of exceptions to it.

    A question comes to mind, and I hope this isn't off-topic: how do you say these things in your native language? You may take some encouragement from the fact that if this were a forum for learning to speak Chinese, my username would be imVERYconfused.
    "When you are speaking for truth, and when you are speaking for justice, no one can defeat you." — Malala Yousafzai

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Native language
    chinese
    Posts
    44

    Re: I didn't know he was/is a marine

    Quote Originally Posted by gramman View Post
    >>No offense but I just need some explanation to understand how to apply it in future.

    I have a feeling future is more complicated, so first try to get a handle on past.

    Sorry gramman, I meant to say to be able to apply or use it correctly in the future or next time.




    Quote Originally Posted by gramman View Post
    So let me try just repeating what I said before:

    if the first verb is past tense, the second one should be past as well
    That;s the problem, gramman. I tried to follow this rule that if the first verb is past tense, the second one should be past as well, but I get to read from other places, such as news articles, with sentences not following this rule like this one below:

    - Scientists and broadcasters said Monday they have captured footage of an elusive giant squid roaming the depths of the Pacific Ocean, showing it in its natural habitat for the first time ever.

    In the above sentence, the first verb "said" is past tense but the second verb "have" is present tense. Please explain and advise me on this one. Thank you.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North Kingstown, Rhode Island
    Native language
    American English
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,790

    Re: I didn't know he was/is a marine

    "Have" is a truly wonderful word for those working to learn the English language. Check out the right-hand column in this definition from Macmillan. Memorize all that and get back to us tomorrow. Just kidding.

    Focus for now on that first part:
    used for forming the perfect tenses of verbs. The perfect tenses are used for talking about what happened or began before now or another point in time
    That's what you have here: have captured.

    Here's another page of stuff that I'm glad I'm not looking to absorb: Sequence of Verb Tenses, from the Capital Community College Foundation's Guide to Grammar and Writing.

    The good news is there are a lot of people here willing to help you along. Some of them, myself not included, even know what they're talking about. ☺
    "When you are speaking for truth, and when you are speaking for justice, no one can defeat you." — Malala Yousafzai

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Native language
    British English
    Posts
    34,373

    Re: I didn't know he was/is a marine

    Quote Originally Posted by iamconfused View Post
    Firstly, thank you all for responding.

    Hi Beryl, Could you please explain why you chose the above answers? No offense but I just need some explanation to understand how to apply it in future. Why is the sentence "I didn't know he is a marine" not acceptable or correct as he is presently still a marine. As for the second sentence "I didn't know that when a kangaroo licked its limb it was a sign of stress", can it be present tense "is" as this is a general fact about kangaroos? Please advise me. You could show me some examples. That could help me a lot. Thank you.
    No offence taken. Your question is entirely reasonable. I posted no supportive argumentation because I don't know of any that I would find convincing.

    >Why is the sentence "I didn't know he is a marine" not acceptable or correct as he is presently still a marine?

    I'm afraid I don't have an answer that involves the mind, but only one that involves the ear: it just sounds wrong.
    The main problem with that claim, is that it only takes one person to blow it out the water by saying 'well, it sounds okay to me', and then that one person is at liberty to re-ask your unanswerable question, and then it's 'game over'. And although I suspect that the numbers are in my favour, I've no way of bringing those to bear here either.

    I think that the general rule for these is that 'past follows past', as I said in the older thread that gramman linked to above.

    'I didn't know he was a Marine' sounds right to me despite my knowing that he's a Marine at the time of utterance.

    'I didn't know he was called Dave' is what I might utter in astonishment immediately upon learning that his name is Dave. 'I didn't know he was called Dave; I've always known him as Debussy.'

    I suppose you should know that there's a class of (optional?) exceptions, which I think splits into two, one concerning habitual behaviour, and the other concerning matters of so called indisputable truths (there may be others, but I can't think of one off the top of my head).

    'I didn't know that he goes to work by train.' (habitual) ............. though I would use 'went to work'

    'I didn't know that three twos are six.' (truth eternal) ............... I might be tempted by this one for various reasons (but primarily this: Danny Kaye and his 'Inchworm').

    So you see, there may be some hope for your kangaroo with its anxiety disorder; hope which could come via either of the two exceptional routes, though I don't think I'll be granting its safe passage.

    It being clear you've read up on this, iamconfused, I won't labour the point any further.

    "2) 'I didn't know that a kangaroo licking its limb is a sign of stress.' (as this is a general behaviour of a kangaroo in distress)"

    For some this is indeed arguable, and thus the use of the present acceptable. It's either habitual, or it's taken to be a matter of fact, and whilst I wouldn't dispute either of those descriptions, I would never use 'is' in that sentence - it repels the mind. You'd probably be better off listening to someone less partisan than me. (Cross-posted)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North Kingstown, Rhode Island
    Native language
    American English
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,790

    Re: I didn't know he was/is a marine

    Hi again, not-nearly-as-confused-as-you-may-think

    Check out the two posts by Gary T in this thread: Yet another grammar question -- verb agreement. I should credit Copyright for prompting me to reread it. I skimmed over Gary's posts and then got confused by the ones at the end, and so lost interest. Gary may be answering this question quite effectively.

    (Note that you're not the first person to use the Marine Corps to make a point. Well, that's obvious, but this one, like yours, is about tense agreement rather than tense disagreements that get out of hand. And also note that my joke about there not being any ex-marines was stolen by Munch … more than three years ago! As Freud or somebody said, there are no new jokes. )

    I should say that I really do admire you and others in this community for your efforts to learn this complex but rewarding language, attributes that, from what I understand, are derived from its absorption of lots of other languages. So please don't mistake my clumsy wording and lame attempts at humour as disparaging. As Beryl observed, it's "clear you've read up on this."
    "When you are speaking for truth, and when you are speaking for justice, no one can defeat you." — Malala Yousafzai

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Native language
    english - new zealand
    Posts
    1

    Re: I didn't know he was/is a marine

    scientists and broadcasters said Monday they have captured .... if 'had' was used in this sentence it means it could have happened a long long time ago... but using 'have' means that it very recently happened....
    I didn't know he was a marine...
    Because from a point in the past up till now you were not aware he was a marine, and
    from a point in the past up till now he has been a marine (and still is).
    If he wasn't a marine anymore I wouldn't say " I didn't know he was a marine", but "I didn't know he used to be a marine".

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    London
    Native language
    English - South-East England
    Posts
    14,213

    Re: I didn't know he was/is a marine

    In another thread about this sort of thing, I came to the conclusion that it is a matter of focus. I said we usually use tense agreement, and someone gave me numerous examples where a present tense was used after a past main verb. Here's what I concluded from those. If your focus is on the main clause part, 'I didn't know', 'They said', 'She told me', use tense agreement. As 'I didn't know' is always about my not knowing, we always use tense agreement after it. (With maybe exceptions for eternal truths like water boiling and the earth orbiting the sun.) With verbs like 'say', it's different. We can imagine two foci of interest:

    Scientists said on Monday they had captured film of a giant squid. [Scientists said something on Monday. What they said is of some interest, and here it is.]

    Scientists said on Monday they have captured film of a giant squid. [They have captured film of a giant squid. And here's how I know: scientists said it.]

    I'm exaggerating the difference to bring it out. The basic rule is: use tense agreement. You can always use tense agreement. If in doubt, don't try to understand when you do and when you don't use it, just always use it. I'm not putting forward a rule, I'm explaining the occasional exception ('have') to the rule.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Native language
    chinese
    Posts
    44

    Re: I didn't know he was/is a marine

    Thank you so much, Beryl, for taking the effort to explain to me. I'll try to digest what you just said. But what about the below sentence which doesn't follow the 'past follows past' rule?

    - Scientists and broadcasters said Monday they have captured footage of an elusive giant squid roaming the depths of the Pacific Ocean, showing it in its natural habitat for the first time ever.


    What do you think of the above sentence which doesn't follow the "past follows past" rule? Why is the past tense "said" be followed by a present perfect tense "have captured"? If the sentence were to follow the 'past follows past' rule, shouldn't the "have captured" be changed to "had captured"? Is this acceptable or what? I have seen many such sentences in news articles and I don't know if it's right. I would really love to hear your opinion on this? If you could also explain this to me, that would be great. If you don't, I still appreciate the time and effort you had given me. Thank you, Beryl!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Native language
    chinese
    Posts
    44

    Re: I didn't know he was/is a marine

    Thank you so much, gramman. There is so much you sent me to read. Anyway, I'll just take my time to read and hopefully digest it. Hope I could get back to you again on this topic if I do not understand any part of what I read. Thanks gramman!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Native language
    chinese
    Posts
    44

    Re: I didn't know he was/is a marine

    Quote Originally Posted by entangledbank View Post
    In another thread about this sort of thing, I came to the conclusion that it is a matter of focus. I said we usually use tense agreement, and someone gave me numerous examples where a present tense was used after a past main verb. Here's what I concluded from those. If your focus is on the main clause part, 'I didn't know', 'They said', 'She told me', use tense agreement. As 'I didn't know' is always about my not knowing, we always use tense agreement after it. (With maybe exceptions for eternal truths like water boiling and the earth orbiting the sun.) With verbs like 'say', it's different. We can imagine two foci of interest:

    Scientists said on Monday they had captured film of a giant squid. [Scientists said something on Monday. What they said is of some interest, and here it is.]

    Scientists said on Monday they have captured film of a giant squid. [They have captured film of a giant squid. And here's how I know: scientists said it.]

    I'm exaggerating the difference to bring it out. The basic rule is: use tense agreement. You can always use tense agreement. If in doubt, don't try to understand when you do and when you don't use it, just always use it. I'm not putting forward a rule, I'm explaining the occasional exception ('have') to the rule.
    Thank you so much for responding, entangledbank. To be honestly, I still don't quite understand why with verbs like 'say', it's different. I'm sorry. Hope you don't take offence for my lack of understanding after what you had explained to me. Thanks anyway!

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    England
    Native language
    English - England
    Posts
    14,285

    Re: I didn't know he was/is a marine

    Quote Originally Posted by entangledbank View Post
    ...The basic rule is: use tense agreement. You can always use tense agreement. ...
    I must admit that I was becoming very confused despite being a native speaker. Sometimes natural language doesn't stand up to rigorous logical analysis and so I think that eb's rule of thumb is a good one.

    Despite that, I'd like to try again with logic for my own benefit! I think that using adverbs of time might clear things up. Here is my argument:

    1. Eternal truths don't exist in my book. Perhaps the only indisputable truth is Descartes' "I think therefore I am" and that isn't eternal as far as I know. For example, in a dream last night, I 'knew' that I could fly simply by willing myself off the ground: It was true and I could experience the fact. Today I 'know' something different.
    2. If we accept (1) then it all becomes clear. If we add adverbs of time, it is nonsense to say "I didn't know then that he is a marine now." All that I knew then was that he was a marine then. I had no knowledge of his future - not even one or two seconds into the future.
    3. Even if we did know then that he is a marine now we would have to say "Really? I didn't know [then] that he would be a marine [now]."

    So in terms of both logic and usage I personally am satisfied that eb's rule is a good one.
    Last edited by Biffo; 8th January 2013 at 1:17 PM.
    If you think that, you have another think coming!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    London
    Native language
    English - British
    Posts
    9,464

    Re: I didn't know he was/is a marine

    Why should the tenses be in agreement?

    What I was taught in junior school was this: 'I said' or 'he thought' and similar verbs are expressing an idea that was in someone's mind in the past. Therefore it can only be referring to past knowledge or belief. This is so even if the objective state of affairs is still true now. To show that the state of mind was past we say 'I found out that he was a marine' and not 'I found out that he is a marine'.

    Another way to look at it is to think of present context versus past context.
    The simple past tense places a past event in a past context. The present perfect places a past event in a present context.
    Therefore when past context is appropriate we say 'I found out that he was a marine' and when present context is appropriate we say 'I have found out that he is a marine'.
    Last edited by wandle; 8th January 2013 at 12:49 PM.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    England
    Native language
    English - England
    Posts
    14,285

    Re: I didn't know he was/is a marine

    Quote Originally Posted by wandle View Post
    ...it can only be referring to past knowledge or belief. This is so even if the objective state of affairs is still true now. To show that the state of mind was past we say 'I found out that he was a marine' and not 'I found out that he is a marine'.
    Another way to look at it is to think of present context versus past context.
    The simple past tense places a past event in a past context. The present perfect places a past event in a present context.
    Therefore when past context is appropriate we say 'I found out that he was a marine' and when present context is appropriate we say 'I have found out that he is a marine'.
    Yes that is what I was trying to say but put more clearly.
    If you think that, you have another think coming!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    North Kingstown, Rhode Island
    Native language
    American English
    Age
    58
    Posts
    1,790

    Re: I didn't know he was/is a marine

    >>It was true and I could experience the fact

    Dreams? If this is allowed, I'll just have to give up! ☺

    Many years ago, I had a dream that a Leibnizian monad spoke to me, saying "Two and two make five because your alarm clock is broken and you'll be late for work." It's hidden meaning has haunted me ever since.
    "When you are speaking for truth, and when you are speaking for justice, no one can defeat you." — Malala Yousafzai

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •