Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Urdu: It is not safe to drive in the fog.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Native language
    Urdu
    Posts
    1,894

    Urdu: It is not safe to drive in the fog.

    Hello,

    What is the best Urdu word for "safe". Here are some example sentences:

    It is not safe to drive in the fog.
    This isn't a very safe neighborhood.
    This is a very safe city.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Native language
    اُردو Urdu
    Posts
    5,810

    Re: Urdu: It is not safe to drive in the fog.

    I'd opt for محفوظ maHfuuz (pron. maiHfuuz). دھند میں گاڑی چلانا محفوظ نہیں ہے۔ dhund meN gaaRii chalaanaa maHfuuz nahiiN hai.
    یہ بہت محفوظ محلہ نہیں۔ yih bahut maHfuuz muHallah nahiiN.
    یہ بہت محفوظ شہر ہے۔ yih bahut maHfuuz shahr hai.

    One can also go for بے خطر be-xatar like دھند میں گاڑی چلانا بے خطر نہیں ہے۔

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Native language
    English - US
    Posts
    2,393

    Re: Urdu: It is not safe to drive in the fog.

    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Talha
    What is the best Urdu word for "safe". Here are some example sentences:
    It is not safe to drive in the fog.
    Could this work: ضباب میں گاڑی چلانا مامون / ایمن نہیں ہے?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Native language
    اُردو Urdu
    Posts
    5,810

    Re: Urdu: It is not safe to drive in the fog.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alfaaz View Post
    Could this work: ضباب میں گاڑی چلانا مامون / ایمن نہیں ہے?
    Waah jii waah who we have here! I'm not familiar with the first word, only with the second pair, but let's have others some say about it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Native language
    Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Posts
    9,244

    Re: Urdu: It is not safe to drive in the fog.

    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Talha View Post
    Hello,

    What is the best Urdu word for "safe". Here are some example sentences:

    It is not safe to drive in the fog.
    This isn't a very safe neighborhood.
    This is a very safe city.

    Thanks.
    Both marrish and Alfaaz SaaHibaan have provided good translations but I am sure you would appreciate that the common factor in all three sentences is the concept of danger.

    dhuNd meN gaaRii chalaanaa xatre se xaalii nahiiN hai.

    is paRos meN ziyaadah salaamatii nahiiN hai. (yih paRos ziyaadah salaamat nahiiN hai?)

    yih ek bahut pur-amn shahr hai.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Native language
    Urdu
    Posts
    1,894

    Re: Urdu: It is not safe to drive in the fog.

    Thanks everyone.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    United States
    Native language
    Urdu (Karachi)
    Posts
    1,053

    Re: Urdu: It is not safe to drive in the fog.

    Quote Originally Posted by QURESHPOR View Post
    Both marrish and Alfaaz SaaHibaan have provided good translations but I am sure you would appreciate that the common factor in all three sentences is the concept of danger.

    dhuNd meN gaaRii chalaanaa xatre se xaalii nahiiN hai.

    is paRos meN ziyaadah salaamatii nahiiN hai. (yih paRos ziyaadah salaamat nahiiN hai?)

    yih ek bahut pur-amn shahr hai.
    QP saahab- excellent translation on the first and the last. The middle one sounds a bit unfamiliar and perhaps overly formal to my ears. My humble suggestion ..

    yih zyaadah mehfuuz 3ilaaqah nahiN hai.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Native language
    Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Posts
    9,244

    Re: Urdu: It is not safe to drive in the fog.

    Quote Originally Posted by UrduMedium View Post
    QP saahab- excellent translation on the first and the last. The middle one sounds a bit unfamiliar and perhaps overly formal to my ears. My humble suggestion ..

    yih zyaadah mehfuuz 3ilaaqah nahiN hai.
    Thank you and agreed. Actually, marrish SaaHib had done a grand job. Mine was just an attempt at a bit of variety.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Native language
    India-Hindi
    Posts
    11

    Re: Urdu: It is not safe to drive in the fog.

    Yeh zyadaah mehfooz mohalla[colony,neighborhood] nahi hai.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Native language
    Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Posts
    9,244

    Re: Urdu: It is not safe to drive in the fog.

    Quote Originally Posted by mastermind1212 View Post
    Yeh zyadaah mehfooz mohalla[colony,neighborhood] nahi hai.
    Looking at your post, it appears you do not show nasalisation in your transcription. (nahiiN hai)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •