Thread: Help with comprehension of a "real-English" article

Native language
    Slovak

Help with comprehension of a "real-English" article

hi, i have encountered this article http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...musicians-tour

there is written this:

Khosroujerdy's parents considered their blind daughter to be a punishment from God. They beat her and forced her into a marriage with a man who already had two wives, though the four of them did not all live in the same house. "It was a very unhappy situation," she recalled. "Whenever I was depressed I would sing to myself but it was impossible to imagine I could sing in public."

how should I understand this?: ...a man who already had two wives, though the four of them did not all live in the same house...
    isn't there a typo? how can there be FOUR wives of TWO? if it is OK, can you explain me the meaning?
    thanks

Native language
    English - US (Midwest)

Re: Help with comprehension of a "real-English" article

My guess: The man, his first two wives and Khosroujerdy - four people total.

Native language
    English - England

The man already had two wives when the daughter was forced to marry him. So now he has three wives. Three wives plus the man himself makes "the four of them".

Cross-posted.
    "A synonym is a word you use when you can't spell the other one." - Baltasar Gracián

Native language
    Slovak

ah so, yeah that's it... if there hadn't been "of them" then it would have been clear to me at once... this formulation is quite confusing