Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: تعليم النشء

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Egypt
    Native language
    English- Canadian
    Posts
    361

    تعليم النشء

    I'm trying to find the meaning of this word (النشيء), it's a subject of study in ancient Egypt, here's the main part of the sentence:
    و كرس نفسه لتعليم النشيء


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mansoura - Egypt
    Native language
    Arabic
    Posts
    741

    Re: A subject of study in ancient Egypt? (النشيء)

    النشء can be translated as "children"

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Egypt
    Native language
    English- Canadian
    Posts
    361

    Re: A subject of study in ancient Egypt? (النشيء)

    Thanks, I saw that but I was confused because in the text book it's written with a ي, as I've written above. But in the dictionary, children or youth was written as النشء, without the ي... is that a mistake in the text book or are they both correct spellings for children?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    بلاد بابل - Babylonia
    Native language
    Arabic-العربية
    Posts
    802

    Re: A subject of study in ancient Egypt? (النشيء)

    Quote Originally Posted by scetis View Post
    Thanks, I saw that but I was confused because in the text book it's written with a ي, as I've written above. But in the dictionary, children or youth was written as النشء, without the ي... is that a mistake in the text book or are they both correct spellings for children?
    النَشِيء and النَشْء are different words.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Mansoura - Egypt
    Native language
    Arabic
    Posts
    741

    Re: A subject of study in ancient Egypt? (النشيء)

    Quote Originally Posted by scetis View Post
    Thanks, I saw that but I was confused because in the text book it's written with a ي, as I've written above. But in the dictionary, children or youth was written as النشء, without the ي... is that a mistake in the text book or are they both correct spellings for children?
    the only correct word is نشء (nash2)

    "almaany" says that نشيء (nashi2) means: incipient

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wadi Jinn
    Native language
    American English
    Posts
    1,035

    Re: A subject of study in ancient Egypt? (النشيء)

    If you look online, you will see dozens and dozens of places where النَشِيء and النَشْء are both used to mean "youth" or similar word especially in the phrase تعليم النشيء .
    In other words, the "education of youth". However, you state that you believe that النَشِيء has to do with a subject of study in ancient Egypt (?). Why do you say this?
    Ama Sua, Ama Llulla, Ama Qhella

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    أرض الأنجل
    Native language
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)
    Posts
    7,586

    Re: A subject of study in ancient Egypt? (النشيء)

    تعليم teaching
    تعلم learning
    اذكر الله

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    بلاد بابل - Babylonia
    Native language
    Arabic-العربية
    Posts
    802

    Re: A subject of study in ancient Egypt? (النشيء)

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
    If you look online, you will see dozens and dozens of places where النَشِيء and النَشْء are both used to mean "youth" or similar word especially in the phrase تعليم النشيء .
    In other words, the "education of youth". However, you state that you believe that النَشِيء has to do with a subject of study in ancient Egypt (?). Why do you say this?
    In my Arabic dictionary it says :
    النَشِيء : أول ما ينشأُ من السحاب
    النَشْء : النَسْل
    (?)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Egypt
    Native language
    English- Canadian
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
    you state that you believe that النَشِيء has to do with a subject of study in ancient Egypt (?). Why do you say this?
    Sorry, didn'e mean to sound fancy or anything... I was trying to add context which I thought might have helped. I was reading about ancient Egyptian philosophy and they were discussing Ptah Hotep and how he stepped down from his post and dedicated his life to "تعليم النشء"... so I thought it was something obscure and ancient related to philosophy not something as simple as youth (if that indeed is the final verdict!).

    Quote Originally Posted by Crimson-Sky View Post
    In my Arabic dictionary it says :
    النَشِيء : أول ما ينشأُ من السحاب
    النَشْء : النَسْل
    (?)
    So these two dictionary entries make it seem like they are clearly two different words (if I'm reading it correctly?!)... but Tracer has found a lot of places where they are interchangeable... so how do we come to a final verdict on this one?

    Thanks for everyone's help though!
    Last edited by cherine; 9th February 2013 at 6:26 PM. Reason: Merged 2 consecutive posts.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Alexandria, Egypt
    Native language
    Arabic (Egypt).
    Posts
    18,862

    Re: تعليم النشء

    Quote Originally Posted by scetis View Post
    Sorry, didn'e mean to sound fancy or anything... I was trying to add context which I thought might have helped. I was reading about ancient Egyptian philosophy and they were discussing Ptah Hotep and how he stepped down from his post and dedicated his life to "تعليم النشء"... so I thought it was something obscure and ancient related to philosophy not something as simple as youth (if that indeed is the final verdict!).
    You just misunderstood the text. تعليم النشء is teaching the young.
    So these two dictionary entries make it seem like they are clearly two different words (if I'm reading it correctly?!)... but Tracer has found a lot of places where they are interchangeable... so how do we come to a final verdict on this one?
    They are 2 different words. The correct one in your context is النشء (without ي) and it means "young ones" or children.
    خيرُ الكلامِ ما قلَّ ودَلّ

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Egypt
    Native language
    English- Canadian
    Posts
    361

    Re: تعليم النشء

    Thanks Cherine!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •