Thread: تعليم النشء

Native language
    English- Canadian

تعليم النشء

I'm trying to find the meaning of this word (النشيء), it's a subject of study in ancient Egypt, here's the main part of the sentence:
    و كرس نفسه لتعليم النشيء

Native language
    Arabic

Re: A subject of study in ancient Egypt? (النشيء)

النشء can be translated as "children"

Native language
    English- Canadian

Thanks, I saw that but I was confused because in the text book it's written with a ي, as I've written above. But in the dictionary, children or youth was written as النشء, without the ي... is that a mistake in the text book or are they both correct spellings for children?

Native language
    Arabic-العربية

Quote Originally Posted by scetis View Post
    Thanks, I saw that but I was confused because in the text book it's written with a ي, as I've written above. But in the dictionary, children or youth was written as النشء, without the ي... is that a mistake in the text book or are they both correct spellings for children?
    النَشِيء and النَشْء are different words.

Native language
    Arabic

the only correct word is نشء (nash2)

"almaany" says that نشيء (nashi2) means: incipient

Native language
    American English

If you look online, you will see dozens and dozens of places where النَشِيء and النَشْء are both used to mean "youth" or similar word especially in the phrase تعليم النشيء .
    In other words, the "education of youth". However, you state that you believe that النَشِيء has to do with a subject of study in ancient Egypt (?). Why do you say this?
    Ama Sua, Ama Llulla, Ama Qhella

Native language
    عربي (مصر)ـ | en (gb)

تعليم teaching
    تعلم learning
    اذكر الله

Native language
    Arabic-العربية

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
    If you look online, you will see dozens and dozens of places where النَشِيء and النَشْء are both used to mean "youth" or similar word especially in the phrase تعليم النشيء .
    In other words, the "education of youth". However, you state that you believe that النَشِيء has to do with a subject of study in ancient Egypt (?). Why do you say this?
    In my Arabic dictionary it says :
    النَشِيء : أول ما ينشأُ من السحاب
    النَشْء : النَسْل
    (?)

Native language
    English- Canadian
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracer View Post
    you state that you believe that النَشِيء has to do with a subject of study in ancient Egypt (?). Why do you say this?
    Sorry, didn'e mean to sound fancy or anything... I was trying to add context which I thought might have helped. I was reading about ancient Egyptian philosophy and they were discussing Ptah Hotep and how he stepped down from his post and dedicated his life to "تعليم النشء"... so I thought it was something obscure and ancient related to philosophy not something as simple as youth (if that indeed is the final verdict!).

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson-Sky View Post
    In my Arabic dictionary it says :
    النَشِيء : أول ما ينشأُ من السحاب
    النَشْء : النَسْل
    (?)
    So these two dictionary entries make it seem like they are clearly two different words (if I'm reading it correctly?!)... but Tracer has found a lot of places where they are interchangeable... so how do we come to a final verdict on this one?

Thanks for everyone's help though!
    Last edited by cherine; 9th February 2013 at 6:26 PM. Reason: Merged 2 consecutive posts.

Native language
    Arabic (Egypt).

Re: تعليم النشء

Sorry, didn'e mean to sound fancy or anything... I was trying to add context which I thought might have helped. I was reading about ancient Egyptian philosophy and they were discussing Ptah Hotep and how he stepped down from his post and dedicated his life to "تعليم النشء"... so I thought it was something obscure and ancient related to philosophy not something as simple as youth (if that indeed is the final verdict!).
    You just misunderstood the text. تعليم النشء is teaching the young.
    So these two dictionary entries make it seem like they are clearly two different words (if I'm reading it correctly?!)... but Tracer has found a lot of places where they are interchangeable... so how do we come to a final verdict on this one?
    They are 2 different words. The correct one in your context is النشء (without ي) and it means "young ones" or children.
    خيرُ الكلامِ ما قلَّ ودَلّ

Native language
    English- Canadian

Re: تعليم النشء

Thanks Cherine!