Thread: أنْ, أنَّ and إنَّ

Native language
    English/U.S.

أنْ, أنَّ and إنَّ

As I understand:
    أنْ (an) is the أَنْ المصدرية and the verb with أَنْ can be replaced by a مصدر.

أَنَ (anna) takes the subject of the coming clause in the accusative immediately after it (you don’t have an option).

But what is إنَّ (inna)? And how do I know whether I should use أنْ, أنَّ or إنَّ?

Do they all mean “that” in English?

Native language
    English/U.S.

Re: أنْ, أنَّ and إنَّ

When I try to look for help on Google, all I get is سي ان ان . But I need help with أنْ, أنَّ and إنَّ.

Native language
    Urdu

"all I get is سي ان ان ."
    It really sounds hilarious what Google has shown you...

Any way, most of the time أنْ, أنَّ or إنَّ are used in the meaning of "that"... but أنَّ or إنَّare also used in the meaning of "verily, no doubt, indeed". Moreover, أنَّ or إنَّhaven`t had any difference in their meaning, the only difference is that if you want to start a new sentence then إنَّwill be used , else other will be used.

Native language
    English - Australian

Quote Originally Posted by jmt356 View Post
    As I understand:
    أَنَ (anna) takes the subject of the coming clause in the accusative immediately after it (you don’t have an option).
    While that's probably true, Arab authors will often violate that rule. You will often see prepositional statements separating anna from the subject that is linked to it. However, the subject will always take the accusative case.

But what is إنَّ (inna)? And how do I know whether I should use أنْ, أنَّ or إنَّ?
    Inna serves two purposes:
    * It places a small amount of emphasis on the sentence that follows.
    * It replaces anna when attached to the verb qaala (ie to say). So "qaala inna" is correct, not "qaala anna." Although, again, native speakers will often violate this rule.
    In both cases, the following subject will take the accusative case.
    Last edited by jack_1313; 21st January 2013 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Corrected transliteration

Native language
    English/U.S.

Thank you for your input. I have started a new thread that discusses the phrase قال إنَّ here.