Thread: Persian: Whatever you like!

Native language
    English/Welsh

Persian: Whatever you like!

Greetings,

In the film آواز گنجشکها, Karim goes to Tehran hoping to get his daughter’s hearing aid repaired.

While he is revving up his motorbike an official jumps on (this in itself is very interesting to me as he just jumps on without asking permission – perhaps he thinks that Karim looks poor and must need the money) and tells him to take him to such and such a place.

Upon arriving at his destination he tells Karim off for taking the long way round and asks him how much he owes him: چه قدر شد؟. Karim says, “هر چه کلمت” (har che kalamet) meaning, “Whatever you like. / As much as you want.” How do you say this idiomatically in Persian? Is “هر چه کلمت” correct, or have I misheard?

All the best, and many thanks,

Simon

Native language
    Persian

Re: Persian: Whatever you like!

I think it should be "هر چی کرمت" it means "هر چی کرم تو هست" or "هر چقدر بخشش تو هست"

Native language
    Farsi/Persian/فارسي

Quote Originally Posted by nnmmss View Post
    I think it should be "هر چی کرمت" it means "هر چی کرم تو هست" or "هر چقدر بخشش تو هست"
    هر چقدر كرمت است or هرچقدر كرمته actually mean: هر چقدر بيشتر، بهتر. خودت متناسب با بخشش و دست و دلبازي كه داري يك پيشنهاد بده
    Don't be happy of other people miserableness, because you don't know what circulation time has in store for you. (Imam Ali)

Native language
    English/Welsh

Many thanks – that’s really rather a lovely way to put it: “However great your generosity is, give me that amount (that reflects its extent).” Much nicer in Persian than in English!