Thread: Have you been living under a rock? - sarcasm

Native language
    Russian (Moscow)

Have you been living under a rock? - sarcasm

What do you say in your language to mock a person who is not current on some information that is supposed to be widely available?

In English it is usually have you been living under a rock? Or sometimes you should get out more.

In Russian we say ты с гор спустился? /ty s gor spustilsya/ - have you come down from the mountains?

Native language
    Hungarian

Re: Have you been living under a rock? - sarcasm

Hungarian: Te a Marson élsz? (You live on the Mars?)
    [ɒkinɛk humorɒ vɒn, mindɛnˤtud, ɒkinɛk niŋʧ, mindɛnrɛ ke.pɛʃ]

Native language
    French (lower Normandy)

In French, you can say:
    "(il) faut sortir le dimanche !" (literally: "you must (/should) go out on Sundays")

Native language
    Belgium, Dutch

Dutch: "... of heb je op een andere planeet gewoond ?" [Have you lived on some other planet ?]

Native language
    Greek

In Greek:

«Από ποιό βουνό κατέβηκες;»
    [a'po pço vu'no ka'tevikes?]
    lit. "from which mountain have you come down?"

«Βουνό» [vu'no] (neut.) is the colloquialism of mountain, in Gr. «όρος» ['oros] (neut.); the latter nowadays is mostly used as a technical term (i.e. naming a mountain range in maps); «βουνό» [vu'no] (neut.) is a noun of the ancient Doric Greek dialect, «βουνός» bou'nŏs (masc.) --> hill, mountain with obscure etymology
    Les Grecs sont étonnants dans l'adversité - François Pouqueville

Native language
    Bosnian

Quote Originally Posted by apmoy70 View Post
    In Greek:

«Από ποιό βουνό κατέβηκες;»
    [a'po pço vu'no ka'tevikes?]
    lit. "from which mountain have you come down?"
    I can't remember any fixed expressions, probably ad-hoc ones are used as needed. The Greek one given by apmoy70 sounds particularly nice and something that would likely be used. The "from which" instead of "have you" makes it funnier.

The expression that immediately came to my mind, although it might not mean exactly the same thing is Dobro jutro, Kolumbo! ("Good morning, Columbus!") which, in my mind, evokes an image of Native Americans expressing their gratitude to Columbus for finally having been discovered. It's used when someone says or concludes something that should have been obvious all along. It's not used so much when a person is not current on some information, but when they're slow to process some information.
    Last edited by DenisBiH; 31st January 2013 at 12:08 PM.

Native language
    Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)

Quote Originally Posted by DenisBiH View Post
    I can't remember any fixed expressions, probably ad-hoc ones are used as needed. The Greek one given by apmoy70 sounds particularly nice and something that would likely be used. The "from which" instead of "have you" makes it funnier.

The expression that immediately came to my mind, although it might not mean exactly the same thing is Dobro jutro, Kolumbo! ("Good morning, Columbus!") which, in my mind, evokes an image of Native Americans expressing their gratitude to Columbus for finally having been discovered. It's used when someone says or concludes something that should have been obvious all along. It's not used so much when a person is not current on some information, but when they're slow to process some information.
    But what you're saying I think it's not that related with the expression being discussed, I think. I don't know the equivalent in English but in Spanish, for what you're describing has several expressions, 2 of them: ''descubriste América en un vaso de agua'' (you discovered America in a glass of water'' and ''descubriste la pólvora'' (you discovered the powder).

About the topic, I don't remember anything in Spanish and I found nothing for JP.
    Username: Suzumiya. 所詮この世は弱肉強食。強ければ生き、弱ければ死ぬ。-志々雄真実

Native language
    Israel - Hebrew

Hebrew /eifo ata ḥai/ "where do you live?"

Native language
    Bosnian

Quote Originally Posted by 涼宮 View Post
    But what you're saying I think it's not that related with the expression being discussed, I think. I don't know the equivalent in English but in Spanish, for what you're describing has several expressions, 2 of them: ''descubriste América en un vaso de agua'' (you discovered America in a glass of water'' and ''descubriste la pólvora'' (you discovered the powder).
    True. But this (the Serbian version of Urban Dictionary) does cite the meaning rusita asked for as well. It didn't get as many positive votes though, so I guess you could call it secondary at best.

Фраза упућена доносиоцима "новости" које су сличне доби као Мојсије...

Phrase directed to the bearers of "news" which are of a similar age to that of Moses...

Native language
    Cantonese (HK)

Quote Originally Posted by Encolpius View Post
    Hungarian: Te a Marson élsz? (You live on the Mars?)
    Hi! I'm curious to know whether it's a new expression or a time-honored one? Because my younger brother (twenty something) likes to say (in Cantonese) "Have you just come back from the Mars?", and I always think this is a youngster thing (influenced by the Martian movies etc).

Native language
    Hungarian

Quote Originally Posted by Ghabi View Post
    Hi! I'm curious to know whether it's a new expression or a time-honored one? Because my younger brother (twenty something) likes to say (in Cantonese) "Have you just come back from the Mars?", and I always think this is a youngster thing (influenced by the Martian movies etc).
    Time-honored...I think.
    [ɒkinɛk humorɒ vɒn, mindɛnˤtud, ɒkinɛk niŋʧ, mindɛnrɛ ke.pɛʃ]