Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Good morning!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Prague
    Native language
    Hungarian
    Posts
    4,709

    Good morning!

    Hello, I've just realized that unlike all Slavic languages you do not use the word ranek, rano in greeting. Wasn't there ever a similar greeting in older Polish or isn't there any regional alternative of the dzień dobry with the word morning? Thanks.
    [ɒkinɛk humorɒ vɒn, mindɛnˤtud, ɒkinɛk niŋʧ, mindɛnrɛ ke.pɛʃ]

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Native language
    polszczyzna warszawska
    Posts
    10,624

    Re: Good morning!

    Hello Encolpius,
    It's an interesting observation, but no, we don't use any greeting with the word for morning. Usually we simply say 'dzień dobry' in the morning. We didn't use it in the past either as far as I know. I'll look around though and let you know if I find something.

    EDIT: Polish is more similar to Romance languages in this respect:
    English: Good morning
    German: Guten Morgen
    Spanish: Buenos días
    French: Bonjour
    Portuguese: Bom dia
    I'm wondering if there was a direct equivalent of 'good morning' in Latin.

    On the other hand, English for instance doesn't use the equivalent of our 'dzień dobry' (unless you're in Australia or New Zealand where it's often contracted to G'day.), but German does 'Guten Tag'. English seems to be more happy with 'good morning', 'good afternoon', 'good night' than with 'good day'.

    Is it more usual to use 'good morning' or 'good day' in other Slavic languages if you want to greet someone in the morning?
    Last edited by Thomas1; 1st February 2013 at 1:35 PM.
    Please correct my errors! Thanks.
    Corrigez-moi, s'il vous plaît! Merci.
    Пoжaлуйcтa, иcпpaвьтe мoи oшибки! Бoльшoe cпaсибo.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Native language
    Polish
    Posts
    62

    Re: Good morning!

    South Slavic languages have "dobro jutro" for "good morning". It doesn't exist in Polish, but I don't know whether it used to exist in the past or not.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Native language
    Polish - Poland
    Posts
    224

    Re: Good morning!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas1 View Post
    Spanish: Buenos días
    As far as I know Spanish buenos días is used before noon, so it should be an equivalent of English good morning. After 12.00 usually you can hear buenas tardes. It is different from Polish dobry wieczór, that I use when it gets dark or at night, and of course, you can say dzień dobry after noon when it is still bright outside. So there is a slight difference between Polish: dzień dobry/dobry wieczór and Spanish buenos días/buenas tardes.

    More or less literal translation of English good morning can be something like: miłego ranka (have a nice morning), but of course you can always use it the night before, just to wish someone nice next morning.
    Edit: I wouldn't, of course, use Miłego ranka as a greeting... it would be more appropiate when saying goodbye.
    Last edited by PawelBierut; 1st February 2013 at 3:50 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Prague
    Native language
    Hungarian
    Posts
    4,709

    Re: Good morning!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas1 View Post
    ...we don't use any greeting with the word for morning. Usually we simply say 'dzień dobry' in the morning. We didn't use it in the past either as far as I know....
    Thank you, that answer is enough.
    [ɒkinɛk humorɒ vɒn, mindɛnˤtud, ɒkinɛk niŋʧ, mindɛnrɛ ke.pɛʃ]

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Native language
    polszczyzna warszawska
    Posts
    10,624

    Re: Good morning!

    Quote Originally Posted by PawelBierut View Post
    As far as I know Spanish buenos días is used before noon, so it should be an equivalent of English good morning. After 12.00 usually you can hear buenas tardes. It is different from Polish dobry wieczór, that I use when it gets dark or at night, and of course, you can say dzień dobry after noon when it is still bright outside. So there is a slight difference between Polish: dzień dobry/dobry wieczór and Spanish buenos días/buenas tardes.
    [...]
    Yes, that is true. However, I was thinking specifically about the expression in question 'good morning' and about the period of the day when it is used. In this respect I think it's correct to say that the Polish expression 'dzień dobry' and the Spanish 'buenos días' are the same. Sorry, if I wasn't clear.
    Last edited by Thomas1; 1st February 2013 at 5:02 PM. Reason: when it is used
    Please correct my errors! Thanks.
    Corrigez-moi, s'il vous plaît! Merci.
    Пoжaлуйcтa, иcпpaвьтe мoи oшибки! Бoльшoe cпaсибo.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Native language
    polszczyzna warszawska
    Posts
    10,624

    Re: Good morning!

    Quote Originally Posted by ymar View Post
    South Slavic languages have "dobro jutro" for "good morning". It doesn't exist in Polish, but I don't know whether it used to exist in the past or not.
    There is a trace of this in Polish.
    'Jutrzenka' is the name of the morning star or dawn.
    'Jutrzenkowy' and 'jutrzenny' can mean of or pertaining to morning.
    'Jutrznia' means matins, a mass celebrated in the morning.
    It is interesting that Russian uses 'dobroye utra' to mean 'good morning', but 'zawtra' to mean 'tomorrow' (cf. tomorrow morning 'zawtra utram'), but maybe it's just Polish that's actually different in this respect from other Slavic languages.
    Last edited by Thomas1; 1st February 2013 at 4:57 PM. Reason: from other Slavic languages
    Please correct my errors! Thanks.
    Corrigez-moi, s'il vous plaît! Merci.
    Пoжaлуйcтa, иcпpaвьтe мoи oшибки! Бoльшoe cпaсибo.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Luimneach, ROI
    Native language
    Polish
    Posts
    1,330

    Re: Good morning!

    I'd risk a theory that "zawtra" comes from "za-utra" (the day after the one started with this "utra").
    I appreciate your corrections.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Native language
    Polish
    Age
    63
    Posts
    4,105

    Re: Good morning!

    Quote Originally Posted by PawelBierut View Post
    More or less literal translation of English good morning can be something like: miłego ranka (have a nice morning), but of course you can always use it the night before, just to wish someone nice next morning.
    Edit: I wouldn't, of course, use Miłego ranka as a greeting... it would be more appropiate when saying goodbye.
    And this is "Ponglish" introduced in Poland by foreign managers of large retail stores. The shop assistants have been instructed to say so.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Native language
    polszczyzna warszawska
    Posts
    10,624

    Re: Good morning!

    Quote Originally Posted by BezierCurve View Post
    I'd risk a theory that "zawtra" comes from "za-utra" (the day after the one started with this "utra").
    Looks credible:
    WORD: за́втра

    GENERAL: укр. за́втра, блр. за́ўтра, др.-русск. заутра (Поуч. Влад. Мон. и др.), ст.-слав. заоутра πρωί "завтра" (Супр.), словен. zâjtra, zâutrа "завтра утром", чеш. zejtra, zítra, слвц. zajtra; см. Преобр. I, 240; о конструкции за с родительным в ст.-слав. ср. Ван-Вейк, Сб. Соболевскому 37.
    Source
    At the same page, I found 'zajutrek', which I don't see in modern dictionaries of Polish, I found it in Linde (today we still have its somewhat literary derivative 'nazajutrz').
    Please correct my errors! Thanks.
    Corrigez-moi, s'il vous plaît! Merci.
    Пoжaлуйcтa, иcпpaвьтe мoи oшибки! Бoльшoe cпaсибo.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Native language
    Polish
    Posts
    5

    Re: Good morning!

    There is only one phrase "dzień dobry", impossible to day "poranek dobry" or something like this, but there is "good evening" = dobry wieczór.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Luimneach, ROI
    Native language
    Polish
    Posts
    1,330

    Re: Good morning!

    impossible to day "poranek dobry"
    Well, you can always go for the lovely "miłego poranka", if you really want to.
    I appreciate your corrections.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Poland
    Native language
    Polish
    Age
    21
    Posts
    4,373

    Re: Good morning!

    Never in my entire and somewhat short life have I ever heard anyone say 'Miłego poranka', even coming from the shop assitants. I advise you against saying so, unless you want to sound overly affectionate and un-Polish.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Poland
    Native language
    Polish
    Posts
    2,598

    Re: Good morning!

    This afternoon, I heard "Dobrego popołudnia" on the radio. I could expect to hear tomorrow morning "Dobrego rana", "Dobrego poranka", "Miłego poranka" or "Dzień dobry. Miłego poranka." Why not? It sounds nice, doesn't it?
    We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and by the depth of our answers. Carl Sagan

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Poland
    Native language
    Polish
    Age
    21
    Posts
    4,373

    Re: Good morning!

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfbm1 View Post
    This afternoon, I heard "Dobrego popołudnia" on the radio. I could expect to hear tomorrow morning "Dobrego rana", "Dobrego poranka" or "Miłego poranka." Why not? It sounds nice, doesn't it?
    I for one much prefer the old good 'Miłego dnia'.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Luimneach, ROI
    Native language
    Polish
    Posts
    1,330

    Re: Good morning!

    I for one much prefer the old good 'Miłego dnia'.
    And what makes you think it's not a calque?
    I appreciate your corrections.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Poland
    Native language
    Polish
    Age
    21
    Posts
    4,373

    Re: Good morning!

    Quote Originally Posted by BezierCurve View Post
    And what makes you think it's not a calque?
    What are you referring to?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Luimneach, ROI
    Native language
    Polish
    Posts
    1,330

    Re: Good morning!

    To the abovementioned un-Polishness of "miłego poranka".
    I appreciate your corrections.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Poland
    Native language
    Polish
    Age
    21
    Posts
    4,373

    Re: Good morning!

    The mere fact that I have never heard anyone say 'Miłego poranka' is good enough reason for me to write it off as un-Polish, which can't be said for 'Miłego dnia', since I tend to hear it a couples of times a day, everyday. Others may differ.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Norway
    Native language
    Polish
    Age
    63
    Posts
    4,105

    Re: Good morning!

    Quote Originally Posted by dreamlike View Post
    The mere fact that I have never heard anyone say 'Miłego poranka' is good enough reason for me to write it off as un-Polish, which can't be said for 'Miłego dnia', since I tend to hear it a couples of times a day, everyday. Others may differ.
    But this is a direct translation of "have a nice day", introduced in Polish retail stores by multinational companies after 1990. The shop assistants were instructed to say it to leaving customers. Never used in Poland before as a greeting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •