Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: down the center of the 'draft'

Native language
    French

down the center of the 'draft'

Hello everybody,

I'm analizing the screenplay of The Lord of the Rings and I see this sentence: "There is a small brook that bubbles down the center of the draft."

I really don't understand the meaning of DRAFT in this sentence.

If someone can help me...

Thank you in advance!

Native language
    English - US

Re: DRAFT

My first guess is that it's a typo. Could you give us some more context and be a little more exact (The Lord of the Rings refers to three different movies)? Is this an official script or a transcript that someone has written while watching the movie or ...?

Native language
    French

I thought it was a typo too, but further in the screenplay, in the same scene, it's also written "draft".

Here's a bit more of the scene if it can help and if you know the movie it's THE TWO TOWERS, the extended version when Pippin is drinking Ent water ;-)

"Sunlight breaks through a few of the trees giving light. A small brook bubbles down the center of the draft. PIPPIN sits on a root, drinking the water.

WIDE ON: MERRY looks out into the dark forest beyond the draft."

Native language
    English - US

I can think of no meaning of the word draft that has the slightest relevance here. It's definitely not used this way in the LOTR books.

I wonder if it's a movie-making term?
    "If you take hyphens seriously, you will surely go mad" - Oxford University Press style manual

Native language
    English - U.S.

Well, it may not be a typo, per se, but it could be incorrect. You would need to compare the script to the actual spoken text in the movie.

Just about every real script has spelling and usage errors when in all drafts. Take a look at Quentin Tarantino's sometime; he is borderline illiterate.

It very well could be an incorrect usage that made it on to the script, but was just plain wrong.
    No man has an appreciation so various that his judgement is good upon all varieties of literary work. -Mark Twain

Native language
    French

Quote Originally Posted by JustKate View Post
    I can think of no meaning of the word draft that has the slightest relevance here. It's definitely not used this way in the LOTR books.

I wonder if it's a movie-making term?
    I can confirm it's not a movie-making term, I'm screenwriter and director so I confirm it's not ^_^

Native language
    English - US

I don't think this is dialogue - I think it's some sort of script direction. Edit: I am sure you know a lot more about this stuff than I do, then, Acid, but that is how it reads. But if it isn't movie-making jargon, I have to agree with the others that it's an error. There really is no definition of draft that fits here - not that I've ever heard of, anyway.

(Cross-posted with Acid...burn.)
    "If you take hyphens seriously, you will surely go mad" - Oxford University Press style manual

Native language
    French

Quote Originally Posted by Filsmith View Post
    Well, it may not be a typo, per se, but it could be incorrect. You would need to compare the script to the actual spoken text in the movie.

Just about every real script has spelling and usage errors when in all drafts. Take a look at Quentin Tarantino's sometime; he is borderline illiterate.

It very well could be an incorrect usage that made it on to the script, but was just plain wrong.
    Actually, the sentences I shown are in the screenplays as actions to describe the scene, not dialogues, so I cannot compare that to the spoken text, ^_^

So, you too thiunk it's nonense in this context?!

Thank you for your help!

Native language
    English - U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by acid...burn View Post
    I can confirm it's not a movie-making term, I'm screenwriter and director so I confirm it's not ^_^
    If you're a screenwriter, then you know that all scripts have at least a few grammatical and spelling errors. Words are often misused as well.

I do believe is was a misused word. Working in film, you know that directors/DP's are FULL of them.
    No man has an appreciation so various that his judgement is good upon all varieties of literary work. -Mark Twain

Native language
    French

Of course, though here, this is not a grammatical or spelling error as the whole word is nonense regarding the context and yet it's written twice. And as there are some words I don't know in English, I thought that perhaps... it was one of them ;-)

Native language
    English - U.S.

Yes, but I also said "misused word". I believe it was a misused word.

Native language
    French

Certainly yes. Thank you to confirmed that ;-)

Native language
    English - U.S.

Before any conclusions are made, I notice that all of the replies, thus far, have been AmE speakers. It might be best to wait for a native BrE or NzE speaker to come along and comment.

Native language
    French

I will. Thanks! :-)

Native language
    French

I found by chance this:

"Ent-draught (The American English version of "draught" is "draft"):appearing in The Lord of the Rings (The Two Towers), an Ent-draught was an extremely invigorating drink of the Ents, brewed from the waters of the mountain springs on Methedras. "

It explains everything!

Native language
    English - South-East England

No it doesn't. Draught is what I immediately thought of when I learnt it was set in Fangorn. I was trying to find a way how it could be a search-and-replace error (as it occurs multiple times), with the alternative spelling replacing one of the words used to describe the place (hall, bower, space) itself. I still haven't thought of a way that draught/draft could get into that position.

Native language
    French

I didn't understand myself, but as the title of the scene is "EXT. ENT DRAFT", then, perhas they're using that word as a location in the screenplay (even though it's said to be a beverage). But I must say it's very confusing ^^

Native language
    English - South-East England

So . . . someone there thinks a draft is a hall or bower??

Native language
    American English

Quote Originally Posted by Myridon View Post
    Is this an official script or a transcript that someone has written while watching the movie or ...?
    Has this been answered yet?

Native language
    French

As said previousy, it's the original screenplay (no transcript) from the movie ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast