Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parthian: The Word Aryan in Parthian Inscriptions

Native language
    English

Parthian: The Word Aryan in Parthian Inscriptions

CAIS has rendered the Parthian MLKYN MLK` `ry`n W `n(y)`ry`n as šâhân šâh aryân ud anaryân "King of Kings of the Aryans and non-Aryans" (see online article eran_eranshahr)

The form aryân here seems to resemble the English form aryan more closely than any form I have come across. But given that the vowels are absent in the original inscriptions how does the interpreter know to substitute "a" and "â" for the missing vowels?

Native language
    Persian

Re: The Word Aryan in Parthian Inscriptions

This is not Parthian language, but a kind of Semitic language (Aramaic, I think). The interpreter has probably complete the vowels by referring to original Pahlavi or Persian inscriptions of similar era.

Native language
    English

The inscriptions were probably in Aramaic because Aramaic doesn't show vowels right? But the actual language of the inscriptions, not the writing system, is Parthian. The question is what original Iranian did the interpreter refer to to fill in the blanks.

Native language
    Persian

The actual language, as I see, is Aramaic. MLK is a semitic root for king. The Parthian (Pahlavi) and Persian words for king is kay, khotây or shâh.

Native language
    French (France)

Two questions here:

The text is Parthian, but some of the words are represented by “Ideograms” (better: Aramaeograms). They wrote m-l-k but read it as šāh. We try to simplify things by transliterating the Aramaeograms with upper case letters.

Second question: Parthian ary, Old Persian ariya-, are cognate with Sanskrit ārya-. English “Aryan” is taken from Sanskrit.
    Last edited by fdb; 19th February 2013 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Typo corrected

Native language
    American English

Just to add to fdb's post, Parthan aryān, meaning "of the Aryans", is the genetive plural of ary "Aryan".

Native language
    Persian

Thanks fdb. I had really no idea why mojobadshah was insisting it was Parthian!

Native language
    English

Quote Originally Posted by fdb View Post
    Two questions here:

The text is Parthian, but some of the words are represented by “Ideograms” (better: Aramaeograms). They wrote m-l-k but read it as šāh. We try to simplify things by transliterating the Aramaeograms with upper case letters.

Second question: Parthian ary, Old Persian arya-, are cognate with Sanskrit ārya-. English “Aryan” is taken from Sanskrit.
    Isn't Old Persian "Aryan" spelled ariya? And so I see that Parthian "Aryan" is ary which would explain why Parthian -ry-n equates to aryân, but this begs the question how do you know that the Parthian "Aryan" is ary? And this still leaves -ân unexplained.

Native language
    French (France)

Yes, my typo. In Old Persian it is ariya-, in Avestan airiia-. The –ān is the Parthian plural suffix (etymologically genitive plural, as Wolverine correctly says). English “Aryan” is Sansrikt ārya- plus the English Latinate suffix –an (as in Roman, Anglican etc.). So there is no connection between the last syllable of aryān and “Aryan”.

Native language
    English

Ah... that makes sense now. ary- is the root and –ān is the suffix. So where else apart from those Aramaic inscriptions did this form appear which shows us that the Parthians did indeed use the form aryān?

Native language
    French (France)

This is the only evidence for Parthian, and it doesn't actually prove that the Parthian kings used it. It is the Parthian translation of a Sasanian trilingual
    inscription.

Native language
    English

Your right. It appears to have been used by the Sassanians who were responsible for the trilingual inscriptions. Not to sound like I'm repeating myself, but if the inscriptions don't show any vowels then how do you know that -ry-n equates to aryān. How do we know for example that its not airyan? How did you derive Parth. ary-?

Native language
    French (France)

The vocalisation is based on a comparison with other Iranian languages. The development of Old Iranian arya- to Parthian ary is phonologically straightforward and consistent with the Parthian spelling.

Native language
    English

Thank you that is more or less the answer I was looking for. Could you provide some examples of these phonological correlations?
    Last edited by mojobadshah; 20th February 2013 at 3:54 AM.

Native language
    French (France)

Just one very simple example. The word for “king” in Old Persian is xšāyaϑiya-; in New Persian it is šāh. In Pahlavi it is written šh or MLKʼ; in Manichaean Middle Persian it is written šʼh. A comparison of these forms suggests strongly that the Middle Persian pronunciation was /šāh/, just like New Persian.

Native language
    English

I hope this isn't pushing it, but can you show how this vocalization was derived for the Parthian aryan, specifically? If not do you have any ideas as to how I can find out?

Native language
    French (France)

The reconstructed Old Iranian form is *arya-, represented by Old Persian ariya- and Avestan airiia-. The Parthian spelling ʼry suggests that the Old Iranian form survived in Parthian, apart from the regular loss of the final vowel. aryān is (as mentioned) the plural.

Native language
    American English

Isn't there also an Avestan form airiiana- as in airiianəm vaēǰō? I don't think it is the plural form, though.
    Last edited by Wolverine9; 23rd February 2013 at 9:40 AM.

Native language
    French (France)

Yes, Avestan airiiana- is an adjective from the ethnic name airiia-. vaējah- is a neuter noun meaning “homeland” or the like (the exact meaning and etymology are contested). In the nominative singular you have airiianəm vaējō.

Native language
    American English

What would be the Skt. equivalent of the Av. airiiana-?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast