Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Native language
    JA- English & Creole
    Posts
    1,631

    Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    How would you translate this sentence into Hindi/Urdu?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Native language
    English - US
    Posts
    2,393

    Re: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    Could you provide some more context...(are you making a statement or asking a question, what kind of drawings, etc.)?

    (کیا) میرے تمام خاکے/ نقشے (آپ کے لئے قابل قبول ہیں / آپکی نظر میں اچھے/معیاری ہیں)
    (kyaa) mere tamaam xaake/naqshe (aap ke liye qaabil-e-qubuul haiN / aap ki nazar mein achhe/mi'yaari haiN)

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Native language
    اُردو Urdu
    Posts
    5,810

    Re: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyspeed View Post
    How would you translate this sentence into Hindi/Urdu?
    As a reminder, repeating Alfaaz's request, could you give some context please?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Native language
    JA- English & Creole
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    Quote Originally Posted by marrish View Post
    As a reminder, repeating Alfaaz's request, could you give some context please?


    Sorry. Somehow this thread escaped my view.

    Drawings/paintings/works of art.

    The person is saying that everything he/she creates is good to the other person.
    Specifically, I'm wondering if this sentence can be created without the use of lagnaa.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Native language
    اُردو Urdu
    Posts
    5,810

    Re: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    Thanks for the explanation and regarding the fact that you missed it, what are we for?

    I got the meaning of drawing, but what does precisely ''is good to you'' impart? And sorry for my thickness in this regard, but the point is we have to define things before moving forward!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Native language
    JA- English & Creole
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    Quote Originally Posted by marrish View Post
    Thanks for the explanation and regarding the fact that you missed it, what are we for?

    I got the meaning of drawing, but what does precisely ''is good to you'' impart? And sorry for my thickness in this regard, but the point is we have to define things before moving forward!

    basically...aap kii nazar meN achCHii haiN ... aap ko achCHii lagtii haiN...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Native language
    اُردو Urdu
    Posts
    5,810

    Re: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    OK, you have answered your own question. ''is good to you'' means ''you like it''?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Native language
    Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Posts
    9,244

    Re: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyspeed View Post
    Sorry. Somehow this thread escaped my view.

    Drawings/paintings/works of art.

    The person is saying that everything he/she creates is good to the other person.
    Specifically, I'm wondering if this sentence can be created without the use of lagnaa.
    I think, if I am not mistaken, you mean that whatever the artist is creating has a beneficial effect on the recipient (?). If I have understood this correctly then..

    merii tasviireN tumhare liye faa'idah-mand saabit hoN gii.

    merii tasviireN tumhare liye ek achchhaa shuguun hoN gii.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Native language
    JA- English & Creole
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    I guess I was going about my question in a round about kind of way.

    I basically want to know if one can just say aapko merii tasviireN hameshaa achCHii haiN

    I have heard someone use this grammar; whether it was a learner concocting his own grammar or a native - I can't remember.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Native language
    Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Posts
    9,244

    Re: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyspeed View Post
    I guess I was going about my question in a round about kind of way.

    I basically want to know if one can just say aapko merii tasviireN hameshaa achCHii haiN

    I have heard someone use this grammar; whether it was a learner concocting his own grammar or a native - I can't remember.
    Forgetting the blue sentence for a moment, what do you really want to say? Tell us in English. This may help us to reach a solution.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Native language
    JA- English & Creole
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    Quote Originally Posted by QURESHPOR View Post
    Forgetting the blue sentence for a moment, what do you really want to say? Tell us in English. This may help us to reach a solution.
    What I want to say is the title of the thread. If you have never heard this English construction, then I'm afraid I can't explain much more.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Native language
    Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Posts
    9,244

    Re: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyspeed View Post
    What I want to say is the title of the thread. If you have never heard this English construction, then I'm afraid I can't explain much more.
    That's fair enough. If you can't explain the question, it is not easy to provide an answer. Just to be on the safe side, I've put the title of your post past a real Englishman. It did n't mean anything to him either.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Native language
    JA- English & Creole
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    Quote Originally Posted by QURESHPOR View Post
    That's fair enough. If you can't explain the question, it is not easy to provide an answer. Just to be on the safe side, I've put the title of your post past a real Englishman. It did n't mean anything to him either.
    haha. A real Englishman. Define that one please. You fail to realise English exists in dialects once again. It cannot be learnt all at once from books. (For instance, the term Englishman is archaic where I live.)

    One example from the web:
    "Yeah. We're okay," Trai assured him. Still, Mark could tell something was on her mind as he served the pasta and they ate. To make conversation, he asked, "How did Morrie like your draft?"
    "He loved it," Trai told him. "It'll be out by August."
    "See? I told you it was good."

    "Yeah, well, you're my boyfriend; everything I write is good to you."
    Second example from the web:

    i read it way back in like 7th grade and it was good, but then again everything is good to you when youre that young.
    Last edited by tonyspeed; 9th April 2013 at 11:23 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Native language
    Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Posts
    9,244

    Re: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyspeed View Post
    haha. A real Englishman. Define that one please. You fail to realise English exists in dialects once again. It cannot be learnt all at once from books. (For instance, the term Englishman is archaic where I live.)

    One example from the web:
    You seem to have taken what I said in the wrong way but no matter. Any reason why you could n't have provided this context before?

    tumhaare liye to jo kuchh maiN likhtii huuN, achchhaa hii hai

    Englishman is a term in daily use where I am.

    As you have modified your post, I'll try a translation of the second sentence too.

    lekin jab tum chhoTe hote ho to har chiiz achchhii lagtii hai

    lekin jab ko'ii chhoTaa hotaa hai to use har chiiz bhaatii hai
    Last edited by Qureshpor; 9th April 2013 at 11:35 PM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Native language
    JA- English & Creole
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    Quote Originally Posted by QURESHPOR View Post
    You seem to have taken what I said in the wrong way but no matter. Any reason why you could n't have provided this context before?

    tumhaare liye to jo kuchh maiN likhtii huuN, achchhaa hii hai

    Englishman is a term in daily use where I am.

    As you have modified your post, I'll try a translation of the second sentence too.

    lekin jab tum chhoTe hote ho to har chiiz achchhii lagtii hai

    lekin jab ko'ii chhoTaa hotaa hai to use har chiiz bhaatii hai
    Sorry, I was having a hard time finding examples.

    Shukriyah. It seems I was looking for your first example in which you use "ke liye".

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Native language
    Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Posts
    9,244

    Re: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyspeed View Post
    Sorry. Somehow this thread escaped my view.

    Drawings/paintings/works of art.

    The person is saying that everything he/she creates is good to the other person.
    Specifically, I'm wondering if this sentence can be created without the use of lagnaa.
    This "to" obviously means "for". You may have seen a book dedicated to a certain person in words such as "Saadhnaa ko" which would be translated into as "To Saadhnaa". So..

    jo kuchh bhii vuh taxliiq kartii hai vuh duusre ko bhaataa hai

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Native language
    اُردو Urdu
    Posts
    5,810

    Re: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    [Urdu] merii sabhii tasaaviir (mere sab xaake) aap ke nazdiik achchhii hii (hotii) haiN. QP SaaHib's 'bhaatii' is lovely.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    India
    Native language
    India - Hindi & English
    Posts
    2,525

    Re: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    "bhaanaa" is much stronger than "achhaa lagnaa" - one of the reasons that "bhaanaa" would be wrong here. The well-known English idiom (surprised that the pretender to Shakespeare had so much trouble in understanding this well-known idiom) does not mean "like" - in which case "bhaanaa" would have suited. Rather, it implies "like" - hence "achhaa lagnaa" is the suitable translation. In addition, as far as Hindi is concerned, "bhaanaa" can convey rustic or dialectical flavours (or poetical ones): it's not a word that one would commonly use in such contexts (one uses it in contexts like "woh laRkii mujhe bhaa gayii" - literally "that girl pleased me", but meaning I liked that girl quite a lot).

    "arre, tum to mere yaar ho; main jo bhii kuchh likhtii hooN/likhooNgii, tumheN achhaa lagtaa hai/lagegaa"/"..., tumhaare liye achhaa hai"
    "lekin jab koii chhoTaa hotaa hai, tab har koii chiiz achhii lagtii hai"

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Native language
    Punjabi, Urdu پنجابی، اردو
    Posts
    9,244

    Re: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    Quote Originally Posted by greatbear View Post
    "bhaanaa" is much stronger than "achhaa lagnaa" - one of the reasons that "bhaanaa" would be wrong here. The well-known English idiom (surprised that the pretender to Shakespeare had so much trouble in understanding this well-known idiom) does not mean "like" - in which case "bhaanaa" would have suited. Rather, it implies "like" - hence "achhaa lagnaa" is the suitable translation. In addition, as far as Hindi is concerned, "bhaanaa" can convey rustic or dialectical flavours (or poetical ones): it's not a word that one would commonly use in such contexts (one uses it in contexts like "woh laRkii mujhe bhaa gayii" - literally "that girl pleased me", but meaning I liked that girl quite a lot).

    "arre, tum to mere yaar ho; main jo bhii kuchh likhtii hooN/likhooNgii, tumheN achhaa lagtaa hai/lagegaa"/"..., tumhaare liye achhaa hai" "lekin jab koii chhoTaa hotaa hai, tab har koii chiiz achhii lagtii hai"
    My reply was of course from the Urdu perspective and the OP did ask for a translation without "lagnaa", if at all possible. And that was why I brought in "bhaanaa". This verb can be synonumous with "achchhaa lagnaa" as the following Urdu lines from the pen of Shakeel Badayuni show.

    ruup-nagar se aa kar chandaa
    un kaa ruup churaa'e
    meraa man dekh dekh rah jaa'e
    bhalaa yih baat mujhe kyoN bhaa'e?

    bhalaa yih baat mujhe kyoN/kaise achchhii lage gii?...Another example..

    bhaa ga'ii kaun-sii vuh baat butoN kii varnah
    nah kamar rakhte haiN kaafir nah dahaaN rakhte haiN

    Rasikh (raasix)

    Now turning to Shakespeare. In Julius Caesar, there is a cobbler who in the opening scene of the play famously says..

    "A trade, sir, that I hope I may use with a safe conscience, which is, indeed, sir, a mender of bad soles."

    Now, if this cobbler had attended even a Hindi Nursery School and looking at the quality of the sentence he has strung together in English, he would most certainly have done a better job on the main jo bhii kuchh likhtii hooN
    !
    Last edited by Qureshpor; 10th April 2013 at 9:08 PM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Native language
    JA- English & Creole
    Posts
    1,631

    Re: Hindi/Urdu - all of my drawings are good to you

    Quote Originally Posted by QURESHPOR View Post
    My reply was of course from the Urdu perspective and the OP did ask for a translation without "lagnaa", if at all possible. And that was why I brought in "bhaanaa". This verb can be synonumous with "achchhaa lagnaa" as the following Urdu lines from the pen of Shakeel Badayuni show.
    In concept and theory I agree. I think the rarity of the usage of bhaanaa has given it a stronger (almost literary) meaning, at least in Hindi.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •