Thread: Formteil

Native language
    English

Formteil

In an article that is about musicians playing a concert, it talks about how a previous conductor removed a lot of the repeats from the performance but this conductor plays them all out fully.

There is a particular sentence to state this:

"Hier wurde alles ausmusiziert - abgesehen von zwei Formteilen." How would you best translate this, particularly the 'Formteilen'? I feel like it's a very specific music segment of the piece but the only thing I can find is 'shapes' in textiles/mathematical sense and translating it literally as 'Form parts' won't work!

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks!

Native language
    German

Re: Formteil

I'm afraid I have no idea what "Formteile" are in music. So I tried to look the term up. One of those "Formteile" seems to be called "bridge" in English. I don't know what the general term is as I don't know enough about music.

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_(Musik)
    Last edited by Resa Reader; 7th April 2013 at 12:14 PM.

Native language
    German, Switzerland

Zum Beispiel kann in einem Trio als Werkgattung ein Trio ebenfalls als Formteil vorkommen.

Native language
    English

Ok. Thanks both. That is most helpful!

Native language
    (Swiss) German

"Formteile" (in der Musik) seem to be formal elements (in music, in the science of music).

Native language
    English

Thanks Robocop. Can you tell me where you are finding that definition? It's a bit vague and I think 'bridge' or 'bridging passages' (Resa's reply) makes most sense of the sentence and context but if you are finding another useful source, I could have a quick look myself to check.

Thanks!

Native language
    (Swiss) German

I cannot say that it is a definition but I have found usage of Formteile on the bilingual site www.oehmsclassics.de via a search on linguee.