Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Termini che hanno una traduzione diversa in American English e in British English - PLEASE CONTRIBUTE!

Native language
    UK ENGLISH

Re: Termini che hanno una traduzione diversa in American English e in British English - PLEASE CONTRIBUTE!

I would also have said bathroom sink unit for a mobiletto con lavandino, but I checked it out on Google and apparently we do talk about vanity units in BE. A new one on me, I have to admit.

Native language
    British English/Italian biling

Re: Termini che hanno una traduzione diversa in American English e in British English - PLEASE CONTRIBUTE!

Quote Originally Posted by london calling View Post
    I would also have said bathroom sink unit for a mobiletto con lavandino, but I checked it out on Google and apparently we do talk about vanity units in BE. A new one on me, I have to admit.
    Fascinating. To me it's only ever a hand basin in the bathroom and a sink in the kitchen.

Native language
    Italian

Termine in italiano: addetto alle vendite
    Termine in AmE: sales associate
    Termine in BrE: sales assistant / sales executive

Brevity is the soul of wit - Le persone intelligenti hanno il dono della concisione

Native language
    English

<<Termine in italiano: fegato (fig. per "coraggio")
    Termine in AmE:
    moxie
    Termine in BrE:
    bottle>>

Moxie was originally the trade name of a soft drink once sold as a tonic that, to paraphrase Garrison Keillor, gave shy folks the get-up-and-go to get up and do what's got to be done. It is still produced today in small quantities, but I don't think that the term today is anymore widespread than the soda, and I don't believe it can be used today except as self-consciously old-fashioned speech. However, I don't have a contemporary idiomatic alternative.
    N.B. Correzioni ricevute con gratitudine.

Native language
    UK ENGLISH

Quote Originally Posted by Paulfromitaly View Post
    A Sales Executive is a "Dirigente", not a Sales Assistant.

Native language
    AE - hillbilly ;)

A Sales Executive is a "Dirigente", not a Sales Assistant.
    Also, "sales assistant" can be used in AE, too - as well as "sales clerk" (I don't think I've ever used "sales associate").
    Last edited by Paulfromitaly; 8th May 2013 at 2:25 PM. Reason: tags
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” Mahatma Gandhi.

Native language
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by curiosone View Post
    Also, "sales assistant" can be used in AE, too - as well as "sales clerk" (I don't think I've ever used "sales associate").
    I recently heard it on an American TV show (a woman was asked about her job and she said she was a "sales associate"), that's why I've mentioned it

Brevity is the soul of wit - Le persone intelligenti hanno il dono della concisione

Native language
    U.S. English

Hi curiosone and Paul - yes "sales associate" is quite popular here for the lowly "sales clerk." I guess it's in the same tradition as "sanitation engineer" for "garbageman."

Native language
    AE - hillbilly ;)

I guess it's like referring to a "secretary" as an "executive assistant."

Native language
    English - USA

I guess it's like referring to a "secretary" as an "executive assistant."
    The modern US term for secretary is admin(istrative) assistant; for executive secretary--executive assistant.

Native language
    British English

Quote Originally Posted by Tegs View Post
    They are accurate except for "sideboard". A sideboard is not a synonym for a dresser.

This sort of thing is a sideboard:
    http://mto.lauraashley.com/furniture/cabinet/3561610/confirmation/dorset-sideboard?tmcampid=110&tmad=c&tmplaceref=14779&source={ifpe:1}{ifpla:2}&gclid=CKyh_8f56rYCFYXMtAodU28A9g
    I agree that the photo could be a sideboard, but only if it's in a dining-room: a sideboard must contain plates, dishes and other crockery as wella s cutlery, napkins etc. Sideboards are where you keep the stuff you use to set the table. In one of the photos it seems to be in a bedroom, where it would need another name. But quite what that other name would be is unclear to me.
    Sono sempre grato a chi mi corregge e a chi mi aiuta a migliorare!

Native language
    French (lower Normandy)

So maybe we could add:

Termine in italiano: segretario esecutivoAssistente/Segretaria di Direzione
    Termine in AmE:
    executive secretary/assistant
    Termine in BrE:
    PA/Personal assistant
    ?
    Last edited by DearPrudence; 9th May 2013 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Changing the Italian term with london calling's suggestion.

Native language
    UK ENGLISH
    Quote Originally Posted by sound shift View Post
    BE has both 'dresser' and 'chest of drawers', but in BE they are not synonyms.
    For sure. They are two different things.

A cassettone/comò is a chest of drawers, a (Welsh, kitchen) dresser is a credenza. Here's a photo of a kitchen dresser.

Quote Originally Posted by DearPrudence View Post
    So maybe we could add:

Termine in italiano: segretario esecutivo
    Termine in AmE:
    executive secretary/assistant
    Termine in BrE:
    PA/Personal assistant
    ?
    No, that in Italian is an "Assistente/Segretaria di Direzione".

Native language
    English - USA

A cassettone/comò is a chest of drawers, a (Welsh, kitchen) dresser is a credenza. Here's a photo of a kitchen dresser.
    That photo shows what in AE we would call a sideboard--yes, in a dining room or possibly a kitchen. AE chest of drawers/dresser (synonyms) would only be found in a bedroom.
    Last edited by Paulfromitaly; 9th May 2013 at 11:59 AM. Reason: tags

Native language
    UK ENGLISH

That's another difference, then. A sideboard in BE is this sort of thing, which we normally keep in the dining room (or dining area, if you've got one of those big combined kitchen/diner things) . Oddly enough, that is also a credenza in Italian: they don't distinguish between a dresser and a sideboard as we do in BE.

A chest of drawers would normally be found in a bedroom.

OT. I have a antique one in one of my bathrooms but that's because a) it looks good in there and b) I like having somewhere to keep all the towels as well as a surface to stand things on: this one has beautiful deep drawers and a marble top!
    Last edited by london calling; 9th May 2013 at 3:28 PM.

Native language
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by wildan1 View Post
    That photo shows what in AE we would call a sideboard--yes, in a dining room or possibly a kitchen. AE chest of drawers/dresser (synonyms) would only be found in a bedroom.
    Would you also call it buffet? Or is a buffet different from a sideboard?

Native language
    English - USA

Would you also call it buffet? Or is a buffet different from a sideboard?
    Yes, I could call it a buffet as well--perhaps even moreso than a sideboard--don't ask me why!

Google image shows the same photos for both terms --sideboard furniture & buffet furniture --when I search on them. (You need to add "furniture" or you just get pictures of food on a table .)

Native language
    AE - hillbilly ;)

I've always called a sideboard (of the kind shown by Tegs) a sideboard (not a buffet). For me a buffet (or buffet table) is this: http://weddingbuffet.net/wp-content/...ffet-table.jpg

And I might add that I grew up calling a "cassettone" any of these: chest of drawers, bureau, dresser (not to be confused with a "dressing table" (which my mum had - I might add that nowadays they are rarely seen).

Native language
    Italian

And I might add that I grew up calling a "cassettone" any of these: chest of drawers, bureau, dresser (not to be confused with a "dressing table" (which my mum had - I might add that nowadays they are rarely seen).
    This must be another US/UK difference then as I believe a bureau is not a chest of drawers in BrE but rather a writing desk.

Native language
    UK ENGLISH

This must be another US/UK difference then as I believe a bureau is not a chest of drawers in BrE but rather a writing desk.
    Yes, you're quite right. A bureau is a (rather old-fashioned) desk (scrittoio) in BE, not a chest of drawers.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast