Thread: كان رجلاً حقيقياً في موقف واحد

Native language
    English - Australian

كان رجلاً حقيقياً في موقف واحد

ليذكر لي أحدكم أن بان كي مون كان رجلاً حقيقياً في موقف واحد مهما كان , سواء كان على صواب أو خطأ , وليذكر أحدكم لهذا الكائن موقفاً واحداً تجاه أمر ما .. أي أمر , عبر عنه أو أعلنه زمنياً .. قبل أن يعبر عنه الناطق باسم الخارجية الأميركية أو يعلن موقف أميركا منه

I made a tread about the use of the particle ل in this sentence, but, as I was proofing my translation, it became clear to me that I'm not confident I understand the meaning of the sentence as a whole. In the interest of treating this as one question, perhaps I can just ask if anyone can provide a translation of the sentence itself? It's a big ask

The context is this article, which argues that Ban Ki Moon will be forgotten by history.

There's a few bits in the sentence that I'm not clear on. For example, what does "a true man in one position" mean? Did he stick to one position, or did he act like a true man by taking one his stances on whatever issue? Also, why does the author go on to invite us to mention something to Ba
    n Ki Moon himself (لهذا الكائن)?

Thanks!
    Last edited by jack_1313; 8th May 2013 at 7:54 PM. Reason: More details

Native language
    arabic

Re: كان رجلاً حقيقياً في موقف واحد

It means Ban wasn't a true man in any situation or he wasn't a real man in even one situation.
    That is my attempt.I hope it s clear.

Native language
    Arabic (Egypt).

Quote Originally Posted by jack_1313 View Post
    ليذكر لي أحدكم أن بان كي مون كان رجلاً حقيقياً في موقف واحد مهما كان , سواء كان على صواب أو خطأ , وليذكر أحدكم لهذا الكائن موقفاً واحداً تجاه أمر ما .. أي أمر , عبر عنه أو أعلنه زمنياً .. قبل أن يعبر عنه الناطق باسم الخارجية الأميركية أو يعلن موقف أميركا منه
    [...]
    There's a few bits in the sentence that I'm not clear on. For example, what does "a true man in one position" mean? Did he stick to one position, or did he act like a true man by taking one his stances on whatever issue? Also, why does the author go on to invite us to mention something to Ban Ki Moon himself (لهذا الكائن)?
    It's hard to define what a real man is but I guess the expression is same in many languages. So, you can say that the author is talking about taking a firm stance, defending one's opinion, standing in the face of injustice, or just being bold (versus being a weakling with no opinion or a personality).

And موقف واحد is "one occasion" or "one situation". It's like: tell me about one instance where Ban showed he's a real man, whether he was right or wrong.

زمنيًا sounds strange here, but it seems the author meant the Ban never expressed an opinion of his own and that he always waited for America to declare her opinion and then simply followed her.

"[W]hy does the author go on to invite us to mention something to Ban Ki Moon himself?" because he's challenging the reader to find such an instance. In other words, the author is indirectly saying that "that creature" (by the way, هذا الكائن is a derogatory way to refer to a person) never showed any real character, but always followed what the Super Power told him, directly or indirectly, to do.
    خيرُ الكلامِ ما قلَّ ودَلّ

Native language
    English - Australian

Thanks very much guys.

I actually had initially read the first موقف واحد as "one situation," but then got confused because in the other instances that the author uses the word in the sentence, he seems to be using is as "position/opinion," specifically a position that Ban Ki Moon عبر عنه or أعلنه.

I wonder if there should have been an أن between ليذكر and لهذا الكائن in this part?: ليذكر أحدكم لهذا الكائن موقفاً واحداً تجاه أمر ما To me, it would make more sense that way, the function of ل having been changed.

Native language
    Arabic (Egypt).

One position, one situation are both correct for this context. I don't think "one opinion" would fit, unless you have the right way to formulate it.

As for أن, no it would be actually incorrect. The expression أَذْكُرُ لفلان أنه فعل كذا (or, like our example here, replace أنه فعل كذا by a noun)is the correct and common structure. To use "anna" you'll need to drop the laam: أذكرُ أنَّ فلانَ فعل كذا. But even the meaning of أذكر would be a bit different. In the first one, it's "to mention", for the second it's "I remember".
    خيرُ الكلامِ ما قلَّ ودَلّ