Thread: cenab-ı Allah

Native language
    English UK

cenab-ı Allah

bir tasvip etme, yerine sevinme, gipta etme cumlesi.
    "- Sabıh abi, bu sabah hayirli bir iş icin hastaneye gittik erkenden, cocugum dunyaya geldi abi... kiz bahşetti cenab-i Allah."
    "- ne mutlu kardeşim benim. Allah anali babali büyütsün."

In the above, much is obscure. The title seems to mean 'a sentence of approbation--rather exultation--envy'.
    Then the dialogue:-
    "Sabıh, buddy ! This morning we went early to the hospital for a good purpose. My child came into the world, buddy....Almighty Allah bestowed ( on us) a girl.
    "How happy [you must be] my brother! May Allah raise her with both her parents around her! (I.e.' congratulations')??

Native language
    Turkish

Re: cenab-ı Allah

Not too obscure, apparently, since you seem to have nailed it for the most part.

"Yerine sevinme" means being happy on someone else's behalf. Empathy is involved, and you're happy as if you're the one who got the good news. You're happy because that someone else is happy. Think of this instead of "rather" when considering "yerine", and the piece will click.

About "buddy"...well, the blame doesn't fall on you with this. We use a lot of titles just the way Japanese use their honorifics. "Abi" -in fact, "ağabey"- implies a bit of respect and is mostly used when the second person is several years older than you.

Native language
    Turkish

It's an Arabic word and mostly used by religious people which are don't even know what it means. If you use this kind of Arabic phrases(Not just word also gramatically in Arabic) around ordinary people it might sound weird. Same goes for words with -allah.

The rest is explained well by Reverence.

Native language
    English UK

Thanks, Niyeneden! I thought all Turkish people would understand idioms or phrases in which the word Allah occurred. Perhaps only the older generation uses & understands such repectful language. It highlights the danger of textbooks!