Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Influence of Gothic language on Spanish

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Native language
    Nederlands - Nederland
    Posts
    93

    Influence of Gothic language on Spanish

    The Germanic tribe of the Goths was in Spain around the 5th sanctuary after christ. What I 'm wondering about is if there are still some influences left on the Spanish languages or if the Arabic-speaking people sweeped away all the possible Gothic influences on the Spanish language.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Native language
    German - Switzerland
    Posts
    96

    Re: Influence of Gothic language on Spanish

    There are a number of given names of Gothic origin that are still in use in Spain (and other countries, of course). I list the ones that I encountered so far on my website here: http://www.babynames.ch/Info/Language/laGothic

    While learning Spanish and looking up the etymologies of words in the RAE dictionary (http://lema.rae.es/drae/) I saw some common Spanish words with Gothic roots but I have no idea right now how to search that dictionary specifically for those.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Ciudad del paraíso
    Native language
    Spanish-Spain
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,982

    Re: Influence of Gothic language on Spanish

    Quote Originally Posted by Roel~ View Post
    [...] there are still some influences left on the Spanish languages or if the Arabic-speaking people sweeped away all the possible Gothic influences on the Spanish language.
    Just two dozen of words: for example, banda, estaca, frasco, ganar, parra, ropa; and the suffix -engo.

    Notice that many Germanisms in Spanish are common to the other Romance languages, therefore they came via Latin; also a lot of them came later, via Old French/Occitan.

    Don't put the blame on Arabs. Visigoths (few in number) were half latinized when they arrived in Hispania, so Hispanic Latin was never heavily affected by Gothic. On the other hand, Arabic was never spoken in the North, where Castilian, Galician and Catalan were born.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Native language
    French (France)
    Posts
    3,243

    Re: Influence of Gothic language on Spanish

    Quote Originally Posted by rbrunner View Post
    There are a number of given names of Gothic origin that are still in use in Spain (and other countries, of course). I list the ones that I encountered so far on my website here: http://www.babynames.ch/Info/Language/laGothic
    I think you are using the word "Gothic" very loosely.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Native language
    German - Switzerland
    Posts
    96

    Re: Influence of Gothic language on Spanish

    Quote Originally Posted by fdb View Post
    I think you are using the word "Gothic" very loosely.
    I confess ... when I was building that list a few years back my knowledge about etymology and linguistics was pretty limited. But I think the "general direction" of the list should be ok, right?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Native language
    French (France)
    Posts
    3,243

    Re: Influence of Gothic language on Spanish

    Better if you simply say "Germanic".

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Benicàssim - Castelló - Spain
    Native language
    Spanish-Spain/Catalan (Val)
    Posts
    1,060

    Re: Influence of Gothic language on Spanish

    It's curious as while gothic language have hardly left any traces in Spain, how in the names and surnames the influence is very important.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Native language
    Nederlands - Nederland
    Posts
    93

    Re: Influence of Gothic language on Spanish

    Quote Originally Posted by germanbz View Post
    It's curious as while gothic language have hardly left any traces in Spain, how in the names and surnames the influence is very important.
    Which surnames and names in Spain are still of Gothic origin and in what can you say that those names are Germanic and not of Roman origin?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Benicàssim - Castelló - Spain
    Native language
    Spanish-Spain/Catalan (Val)
    Posts
    1,060

    Re: Influence of Gothic language on Spanish

    Quote Originally Posted by Roel~ View Post
    Which surnames and names in Spain are still of Gothic origin and in what can you say that those names are Germanic and not of Roman origin?
    Rodriguez - son of Rodrigo = Rodericus = Roderick. Rodriguez is the 4th most common surname in Spain.
    Gutierrez - son of Gutier = Gunthari.
    Fernández - son of Ferdinando/Fernando = Fredenand / Fridnand. Fernández is the second most common surname in Spain.

    There are some more common surnames with germanic roots.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Native language
    Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)
    Age
    26
    Posts
    16,766

    Re: Influence of Gothic language on Spanish

    Quote Originally Posted by rbrunner View Post
    While learning Spanish and looking up the etymologies of words in the RAE dictionary (http://lema.rae.es/drae/) I saw some common Spanish words with Gothic roots but I have no idea right now how to search that dictionary specifically for those.
    You can look up those terms using Dirae:

    http://dirae.es/palabras/?q=gót.
    Prendre un dictionnaire, barrer tous les mots à barrer, signer : revu et corrigé. [Marcel Duchamp]

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Switzerland
    Native language
    German - Switzerland
    Posts
    96

    Re: Influence of Gothic language on Spanish

    Quote Originally Posted by swift View Post
    You can look up those terms using Dirae:

    http://dirae.es/palabras/?q=gót.
    Thanks, didn't know that one!

    And regarding names in Spain with Germanic roots, in the meantime I stumbled upon the following:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germani...mes_in_Galicia

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    new york city
    Native language
    english
    Posts
    5

    Re: Influence of Gothic language on Spanish

    Hi,
    if any one want to know about that Spanish what is best resources???

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    jiā tàiluó ní yà
    Native language
    Català & español (Spain)
    Age
    35
    Posts
    15,174

    Re: Influence of Gothic language on Spanish

    Quote Originally Posted by germanbz View Post
    It's curious as while gothic language have hardly left any traces in Spain, how in the names and surnames the influence is very important.
    Since, as Quiviscumque has said, the Visigoths were very latinized and (unlike the Al-Andalusian Arabs) they eventually stopped using their own language, it's not strange at all. It would have been prestigious even for their Roman subjects to use Gothic names in their Latinized versions, especially when Visigoths finally recanted their Arianism and adopted Catholicism. And also the same may be said about other German tribes that ruled previously in some parts of the Peninsula.
    Last edited by ampurdan; 12th July 2013 at 2:37 PM.
    Dale un pez y comerá un día, dale una caña y pedirá una tapa.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Vietnam
    Native language
    English
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,100

    Re: Influence of Gothic language on Spanish

    Quote Originally Posted by germanbz View Post
    It's curious as while gothic language have hardly left any traces in Spain, how in the names and surnames the influence is very important.
    It's quite common for proper names to retain older forms of a language, or terms from languages previously spoken in a given area.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •