Thread: Influence of Gothic language on Spanish

Native language
    Nederlands - Nederland

Influence of Gothic language on Spanish

The Germanic tribe of the Goths was in Spain around the 5th sanctuary after christ. What I 'm wondering about is if there are still some influences left on the Spanish languages or if the Arabic-speaking people sweeped away all the possible Gothic influences on the Spanish language.

Native language
    German - Switzerland

Re: Influence of Gothic language on Spanish

There are a number of given names of Gothic origin that are still in use in Spain (and other countries, of course). I list the ones that I encountered so far on my website here: http://www.babynames.ch/Info/Language/laGothic

While learning Spanish and looking up the etymologies of words in the RAE dictionary (http://lema.rae.es/drae/) I saw some common Spanish words with Gothic roots but I have no idea right now how to search that dictionary specifically for those.

Native language
    Spanish-Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Roel~ View Post
    [...] there are still some influences left on the Spanish languages or if the Arabic-speaking people sweeped away all the possible Gothic influences on the Spanish language.
    Just two dozen of words: for example, banda, estaca, frasco, ganar, parra, ropa; and the suffix -engo.

Notice that many Germanisms in Spanish are common to the other Romance languages, therefore they came via Latin; also a lot of them came later, via Old French/Occitan.

Don't put the blame on Arabs. Visigoths (few in number) were half latinized when they arrived in Hispania, so Hispanic Latin was never heavily affected by Gothic. On the other hand, Arabic was never spoken in the North, where Castilian, Galician and Catalan were born.

Native language
    French (France)

Quote Originally Posted by rbrunner View Post
    There are a number of given names of Gothic origin that are still in use in Spain (and other countries, of course). I list the ones that I encountered so far on my website here: http://www.babynames.ch/Info/Language/laGothic
    I think you are using the word "Gothic" very loosely.

Native language
    German - Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by fdb View Post
    I think you are using the word "Gothic" very loosely.
    I confess ... when I was building that list a few years back my knowledge about etymology and linguistics was pretty limited. But I think the "general direction" of the list should be ok, right?

Native language
    French (France)

Better if you simply say "Germanic".

Native language
    Spanish-Spain/Catalan (Val)

It's curious as while gothic language have hardly left any traces in Spain, how in the names and surnames the influence is very important.

Native language
    Nederlands - Nederland

Quote Originally Posted by germanbz View Post
    It's curious as while gothic language have hardly left any traces in Spain, how in the names and surnames the influence is very important.
    Which surnames and names in Spain are still of Gothic origin and in what can you say that those names are Germanic and not of Roman origin?

Native language
    Spanish-Spain/Catalan (Val)

Quote Originally Posted by Roel~ View Post
    Which surnames and names in Spain are still of Gothic origin and in what can you say that those names are Germanic and not of Roman origin?
    Rodriguez - son of Rodrigo = Rodericus = Roderick. Rodriguez is the 4th most common surname in Spain.
    Gutierrez - son of Gutier = Gunthari.
    Fernández - son of Ferdinando/Fernando = Fredenand / Fridnand. Fernández is the second most common surname in Spain.

There are some more common surnames with germanic roots.

Native language
    Spanish – Costa Rica (Valle Central)

Quote Originally Posted by rbrunner View Post
    While learning Spanish and looking up the etymologies of words in the RAE dictionary (http://lema.rae.es/drae/) I saw some common Spanish words with Gothic roots but I have no idea right now how to search that dictionary specifically for those.
    You can look up those terms using Dirae:

http://dirae.es/palabras/?q=gót.
    Prendre un dictionnaire, barrer tous les mots à barrer, signer : revu et corrigé. [Marcel Duchamp]

Native language
    German - Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by swift View Post
    You can look up those terms using Dirae:

http://dirae.es/palabras/?q=gót.
    Thanks, didn't know that one!

And regarding names in Spain with Germanic roots, in the meantime I stumbled upon the following:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Germani...mes_in_Galicia

Native language
    english

Hi,
    if any one want to know about that Spanish what is best resources???

Native language
    Català & español (Spain)

Since, as Quiviscumque has said, the Visigoths were very latinized and (unlike the Al-Andalusian Arabs) they eventually stopped using their own language, it's not strange at all. It would have been prestigious even for their Roman subjects to use Gothic names in their Latinized versions, especially when Visigoths finally recanted their Arianism and adopted Catholicism. And also the same may be said about other German tribes that ruled previously in some parts of the Peninsula.
    Last edited by ampurdan; 12th July 2013 at 2:37 PM.
    Dale un pez y comerá un día, dale una caña y pedirá una tapa.

Native language
    English

It's quite common for proper names to retain older forms of a language, or terms from languages previously spoken in a given area.