Thread: она была слишком пьяна, чтобы я мог чувствовать себя спокойно за нее.

Native language
    russian

она была слишком пьяна, чтобы я мог чувствовать себя спокойно за нее.

Hello. How do I translate the Russian sentence, (Когда она поймала частника), она была слишком пьяна, чтобы я мог чувствовать себя спокойно за нее.

Context: girl and me have drinks in a bar. Girl gets drunk, wants to go home on her own (one of her whims). Outside, she can hardly stand, manages to hail a car. She gets in, car drives away. I feel uneasy.

My transation: She was too drunk for me to feel easy about (as she waved down a car)

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Native language
    Russian (Moscow)

Re: она была слишком пьяна, чтобы я мог чувствовать себя спокойно за нее.

Do you want to keep the structure of the sentence (she was too... for me...), because it is a little awkward. Also, depending to who you say that to, you may need to explain that concept of частник (gypsy cab), because if you just say "hail a car", most people think it was a taxi.

Here is my option:
    As she hailed/flagged down a car /a gypsy cab, I felt uneasy because she was too drunk
    As she hailed/flagged down a car /a gypsy cab, I felt she was unsafe because she was too drunk
    As she hailed/flagged down a car /a gypsy cab, I was concerned for her safety because she was too drunk

Native language
    russian

Thanks very much and excuse me for the delay - been away...

Native language
    Byelorussian

Thank you for the question and let me assist you in translation of your text from Russian into English.
    Она была слишком пьяна, чтобы я мог чувствоватьсебя спокойно за нее. -The thought of her being so drunk doesn't settle well with me.

Когда она поймала частника), она была слишком пьяна, чтобы я мог чувствовать себя спокойно за нее.
    Context: girl and me have drinks in a bar. Girl gets drunk, wants to go home on her own (one of her whims). Outside, she can hardly stand, manages to hail a car. She gets in, car drives away. I feel uneasy.

-I was drinking with my girlfriend in the bar. At some point she decided to go home all alone (on her own) by taking a taxicab. She was a sloppy drunk hailing a gypsy (illegal) cab. As she climbed into the car and the vehicle took off with her, I became worried about her safety.

Native language
    russian

Many thanks Colora, but i didn't ask to translate the abridged CONTEXT. Let me modify the initial Russian sentece into "Она была слишком пьяна, чтобы я мог чувствовать себя спокойно" in view of the abovementioned context. Или: "Она была слишком пьяна, чтобы я чувствовал себя спокойно". Opinions?

Native language
    English

She was too drunk for me not to worry about her.

Native language
    latvian

She was too drunk and I could not feel good thinking about her.
    She was too drunk so I could not feel good thinking about her.
    She was too drunk so I could not be at peace of mind about her.

Native language
    English - England

Anisoara's sounds best to me. She was to drunk for me to not feel worried about her.

Native language
    Byelorussian

Hi! Sameer, you ignored my first suggestion like "the thought of her being so drunk doesn't settle well with me", probably, because you found it too broad and general. My second try I designed by increasing details especially for this specific situation. At this time my try is "this girl was incredibly intoxicated and I couldn't stay calm, because I continuously worried about her" or "this girl seemed too drunk to me and I was really stressed out about what could happen to her"
    If you want to put exactly the opposite meaning in this wording then you can do it by saying "she was too drunk for me to feel easy about " or "she was too drunk for me not to worry about her" The guy, actually, doesn't care about her condition, because she is a grown woman and she knew what she is doing.
    Remarkable answers were provided by Rusita.
    Unfortunately, the first two answers from Zambala are not going to work, because it does sound as if the girl lost her reputation in his eyes. "She was too drunk and I could not feel good thinking about her" and "she was too drunk so I could not feel good thinking about her."
    The third answer like "she was too drunk so I could not be at peace of mind about her" is incorrect due to incomplete thoughts. It's better to say something like "she was too drunk so I couldn't experience a state of peace of mind about what could happen to her"
    Good luck in your translation. I did everything that I possibly can for you. With best regards Hope nobody will be mad at me for my pertinent remarks.
    P.S. In the USA the most used slang for heavy drunk people are: lovely drunk (when someone is drunk and happy), angry drunk (gets ready for the fight), sloppy drunk and skunky drunk (no comments).
    Last edited by Colora; 2nd September 2013 at 4:36 AM.

Native language
    English

Interesting thread. IMO, Anisoara's suggestion (and Half Nelson's variation) most accurately convey the meaning and intent of the original Russian.

Native language
    Byelorussian

This is a little surprise. But I think I know what's really going on here. The confusion is caused by the second part of this Russian sentence "чтобы я чувствовал себя спокойно". The literal translation is deviating from original interpretation.

Native language
    Russian - Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Colora View Post
    This is a little surprise. But I think I know what's really going on here. The confusion is caused by the second part of this Russian sentence "чтобы я чувствовал себя спокойно". The literal translation is deviating from original interpretation.
    In fact, this is an incorrect Russian sentence. You cannot "чувствовать себя спокойно" за кого-либо. This expression could be used only buy itself, without any additions. You can only say "(не) волноваться за кого-либо". For example: "она была слишком пьяна, чтобы я мог не волноваться за нее".

Native language
    English

Nice catch and explanation, Lotto74. I was thinking that I would have used волноваться, but since I am not a native speaker of Russian I hesitate not only to correct but sometimes even to question someone else's usage in Russian.