Thread: Happy birthday

Native language
    polski

Happy birthday

Shalom everyone !

Could someone tell me how is HAPPY BIRTHDAY in Hebrew, please ?

Native language
    English - U.S.

Re: Happy birthday

יום הולדת שמח

It's pronounced "Yom Hoo-LEH-det sa-MAY-ach."

If you scroll down this page to below the tiny ads, you'll see a birthday card in Hebrew and English. Since Hebrew is read from right to left, the exclamation point in the Hebrew line is at the left, not the right.

And welcome to WRF!

Native language
    polski

Oh thank you very much for fast reply and welcome too

Native language
    Hebrew

Egmont, theres no difference in complex vowels in hebrew, its simply yom huledet same'akh
    All the seats are taken in the parliament of fools!

Native language
    polski

Quote Originally Posted by arielipi View Post
    Egmont, theres no difference in complex vowels in hebrew, its simply yom huledet same'akh
    So this what you wrote it's Happy Birthday in Hebrew written by normal letters ?

Native language
    English - U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by arielipi View Post
    אני יודע בדיוק איך לבטא „יום הולדת שמח". אמרתי את זה לבן-דוד שלי בקיבוץ בגליל לפני שבועיים

I know how to pronounce it. I said it to my cousin in a kibbutz in the Galil two weeks ago (in person, not on Skype) and will surely say it again to others in Israel (also in person) in the near future. I was simply trying to guide a speaker of English toward the right pronunciation. An English speaker would read the letters "same," before the apostrophe, and might pronounce them like the word "same." There are also many ways an English speaker might pronounce the letters "huledet," some of which are quite far off the correct pronunciation. I sacrificed linguistic precision for what I thought would be greater helpfulness. Apologies if others disagree.

Native language
    English - London

Quote Originally Posted by Egmont View Post
    אני יודע בדיוק איך לבטא „יום הולדת שמח". אמרתי את זה לבן-דוד שלי בקיבוץ בגליל לפני שבועיים

I know how to pronounce it. I said it to my cousin in a kibbutz in the Galil two weeks ago (in person, not on Skype) and will surely say it again to others in Israel (also in person) in the near future. I was simply trying to guide a speaker of English toward the right pronunciation. An English speaker would read the letters "same," before the apostrophe, and might pronounce them like the word "same." There are also many ways an English speaker might pronounce the letters "huledet," some of which are quite far off the correct pronunciation. I sacrificed linguistic precision for what I thought would be greater helpfulness. Apologies if others disagree.
    You'd be in your right to do this if the speaker's mother tongue were English but the thread-opener is Polish. Nevertheless, I'm sure there is no doubt in how to pronounce this now.

Native language
    English - AmE

The problem stems from the lack of a universally accepted transliteration system from Hebrew into Latin characters, e.g. the various ways of writing the name of the holiday known as "The Festival of Lights" in Latin script: Hanukah, Chanukah, Hannukah, etc.

With the exception of some words which are in very wide usage, e.g. "Yom Kippur," one pretty well writes the transliteration as he sees best.

The American Conservative congregations have tried to standardize the transliterations in their prayerbooks, but some of their choices don't work out too well.